Statistical Process Control Crash Course - Question

Moncia

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi guys

Well, I have a question again
We are having supplier audit on Tuesday, and one of the areas the customer wants to review is our Statistical Process Control
And here is the drama ? we have nothing
I don?t know much about it either. My old job just had one set of bologna spread sheet they were showing for all 3 years? worth of audits
I also have to admit that I have had a ?Statistical Process Control? huge book/manual for years now, but I never got to really study it. I tried once, but it was Chinese to me.
So I am sinking now. Can someone please give me a ?SPC to dummies? crash course??? Please
What do you show at the audit when customer asks for SPC?

Thank you once again
Monika

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Hi guys

We are having supplier audit on Tuesday, and one of the areas the customer wants to review is our Statistical Process Control
I don?t know much about it either. My old job just had one set of bologna spread sheet they were showing for all 3 years? worth of audits
I also have to admit that I have had a ?Statistical Process Control? huge book/manual for years now, but I never got to really study it. I tried once, but it was Chinese to me.
So I am sinking now. Can someone please give me a ?SPC to dummies? crash course??? Please

Thank you once again
Monika

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-control-charts-for-six-sigma.html

This is a start.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hi guys

Thank you once again
Monika

A good start would be the customer drawings / customer specifications where they would have mentioned to have SPC on any critical dimension. Check that and for a quick start, you could have control charts plotted for those critical dimensions.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi guys

Thank you once again
Monika

I do not know the purpose of your customer audit ( for instance, qualification of a new supplier or "surveillance" audit...), so I can suggest according to my experience and guess.
Customer could be interested in the capability of your process and you control the variability of your mfg processes.
They could check the cpk factor or ppk.
In case of cpk, you should demostarted that it is equal to or major than 1,33.
In case of automotive production, the limit is 1,67.
They could also be interested in the reaction mechanisms in place in case of an out of spec in production and how you control the nonconforming product.
In case of a drift from baseline, they could be investigate how you regulate your processes in case of an out of control and which the strategies are in place to accmplish this.
Analysis of these data could be another topic of interested too.
Links with other processes and activities could be explored, for instance the awareness of the personnel in SPC.
These topics could be audited but not limited to.
Did your customer send you in advance a questionnaire for self evaluation? If so, you can start from it .
Hope this helps:bigwave:

K

KathySmith

Next Tuesday! Be careful not to blow your whole audit on something (SPC) that is not a deal breaker with the customer. (last three years) Unless you've promised SPC mastery to your bosses, just take the SPC hit in the audit. This will help you gain the support of the front office if you need more resources to get it going, like being sent to a one week SPC school, etc... If you promised this to your customer, remember exactly what you promised and get the bare minimum covered. The point here is keep your word with bosses and customers but next Tuesday, SPC, like cramming for a calculus final in which you've not been to class or done the homework. Ain't going to happen baby!
And don't try to BS your way through this. If the auditor has a bunch of SPC training, they will easily see you don't and you lose lots of credibility on many levels.
Now if there is some basic data gathering and charting and some bare bones that really isn't SPC but everyone counts it as such and you haven't been keeping it up. Better work over the weekend and just get it done.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
We can give you a real jump start if you give us an idea of what processes you are trying to control (molding, machining, assembly, etc.) We can get you started a lot quicker than a book or website.

M

Murphys Law

If you've done nothing on it, take a stand back and question if you need it especially after all this time.

SPC is just a tool where you are assessing yourself against a measurement. Normally you / customer defines that measurement are being critical to end product quality.

It will show you how repeatable a process output is over time. Normally a number called a Cpk is calculated from the SPC where the value is a high level number of how in control + repeatable it is. SPC chart will also show you if you are getting lots/batches going out of control.

If you are doing 100% inspection or test, you may not need it. Read up about SPC on the links provided but also google it.

You should at least know what SPC is, how to calculate a Cpk and how to talk about reaction plans in event it goes out of control. If you don't know what it is, you will look foolish in front of your customer.

What is your track record wrt quality at the customers? Have you had issues in past? If there was a problem, question you have to answer is "Would SPC have been a quality method that would have flagged their problem in your house?"

Moncia

Quite Involved in Discussions
We can give you a real jump start if you give us an idea of what processes you are trying to control (molding, machining, assembly, etc.) We can get you started a lot quicker than a book or website.

Hi

we are chemical company that manufactures synthetic and natural flavors
the customer that comes on Tuesday buys only one product from us
it is large volume but just one

here is flowchart of the process

thanks again for all your help

Attachments

• PEEB in word.docx
    55.3 KB · Views: 172
Top Bottom