Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File"

A

Andy S

First post - please be gentle.

I work for a major UK OEM who runs Ford based APQP/PPAP systems. We use a PPAP check list based on a Ford document. One of the questions under 'Initial Process studies' section reads:

"Was a statistical software calibration, using the Sample Calibration File conducted?"

I've asked around (my organisation) within STA and Six Sigma communities to a senior level. Nobody is able to provide me with a "sample calibration file". I've looked through the AIAG SPC (2nd Ed) & PPAP (4th Ed) manuals and can't find any referance to statistical software calibration. Not even Google can help. My Manager suggested I try asking on Elsmar Cove.

Can anybody shed light on this? Idealy I'm looking for a copy of a/the "sample calibration file" and instructions how to use it to perform a statistical software calibration.

I'm asuming it's just a data set, with verified statistical properties, which can be used to check the output of suppliers spc spreadsheets.

Any help greatfully recieved.

Thanks,

Andy Skelton

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

t.PoN

Re: statistical software calibration

Welcome:
Do you perform calibration? or do you just have equipment that require calibration?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Ford produced a dataset some time ago that's intended to be used in "calibrating" MSA software. "Calibration" is simply the act of comparing something to a standard. Have a look at the attachment in the first post in this thread. Although it dates from 2006, I don't think mathematics has changed since then. :) There are by now many thousands of home-brewed spreadsheets and commercial software packages for doing MSA calculations; doing the "calibration" is a safeguard against spurious results.

The idea is to plug the numbers from the dataset into your own MSA program and see if you get the same results.

A

Andy S

That sounds like the kind of thing I need, but for Cap studies. I found an example MSA data set in the back of the SPC manual!

A

Andy S

AIAG has a sample set, however you will see in my blog that it is likely incorrect.
I've read the opening paragraphs to your post and I appear to have a problem with my AIAG manual. I'm looking at a 1992 print of the 2nd edition of the AIAG SPC manual. My Appendix F is a lookup table of Pz from z, and not a sample data set. It's 1 printed page of data, with no figures. Am I looking at an out of date edition?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Andy S

BRILLIANT - that's it!

Thank you so much, I never thought I'd get to it so quickly

A

Andy S

Ford produced a dataset some time ago that's intended to be used in "calibrating" MSA software. "Calibration" is simply the act of comparing something to a standard. Have a look at the attachment in the first post in this thread.
This is the post I'm refering to in my last post of thanks

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

I've read the opening paragraphs to your post and I appear to have a problem with my AIAG manual. I'm looking at a 1992 print of the 2nd edition of the AIAG SPC manual. My Appendix F is a lookup table of Pz from z, and not a sample data set. It's 1 printed page of data, with no figures. Am I looking at an out of date edition?

Thanks
You have the second printing of the first edition (1992), the second edition is July 2005.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Validation of macro - scripts - programs used in statistical software (Minitab-SAS... Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
H Statistical Models for Predictive Management of Software Processes Software Quality Assurance 2
S Minitab and Crystal Ball Statistical Analysis Software Using Minitab Software 13
V Any experience/feedback on statistical software tools...minitab -design expert -JMP Using Minitab Software 4
Gert Sorensen Validation of our Statistical Software - Statistical "text book" examples needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J What SPC (Statistical Process Control) software is your company using? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
S Different statistical software = Difference in Degree of freedom?? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
T Touch Screen Capable Software suggestions for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
J Software Validation - SigmaStat for Statistical Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Statistical Technique(s) for Measuring Software Performance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
C SPC (Statistical Process Control) software recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 23
T Questions for a software vendor, Statistical process control software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J User Friendly SPC (statistical process control) Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
B Validation of statistical software - To validate a CAQ-Statistic-Package Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
C Buying Minitab / other SPC or Statistical software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
T Any recommendation on DOE/Statistical Analysis Software? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
K Looking for guidance to write an SOP on Statistical Methodologies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Minimum sample size - Guidance and statistical rationale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
John Predmore Interactive visualization through graphical simulation of statistical concepts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Bev D Profound Statistical Concepts Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 63
A Statistical Analysis - Check if these organisms at different concentrations affect the growth of wheat seedlings Using Minitab Software 4
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
optomist1 It’s time to talk about ditching statistical significance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
John Predmore A Balanced view of statistical tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S IATF 16949 9.1.1.3 Application of statistical concepts - Our technicians are quizzed for statistical knowledge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
ScottK Statistical basis for 30 pieces for FAI 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B IATF 16949 clause 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Statistical Process Control and Inspection in Footwear Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
M IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Steve Prevette Statistical Process Control Library Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
Marc Happy Birthday Statistical Steven - 2015 Covegratulations 10
L When are Statistical techniques not applicable? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
M FDA 21 CFR 820.250 - Does "valid statistical" always mean math? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R Common Statistical Errors Using Minitab Software 1
Y Statistical Analysis of Road Traffic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
B Class II Medical Device Manufacturer - SOP for 820.250 Statistical 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Correct Statistical Test comparing 2 Groups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Capability Analysis - Unusual Statistical Distribution of my Proccess Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M PhD Thesis Data Statistical Analysis Methods Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
N Statistical Quality Improvement Action for Small Batch Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
Moncia Statistical Process Control Crash Course - Question Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
A Statistical Correlation between ordered SKUs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8