Statistical Tolerancing - Monte Carlo simulation in Statistical Tolerancing

R

Ravi Khare

Statistical Tolerancing is a powerful technique that helps assigning appropriate tolerances to processes and parts and can do wonders in cost saving.

I am trying to study the technique in detail; especially the use of monte carlo simulation in statistical tolerancing. Can you Gurus provide good links, or advice on reading material?

Thanx

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I have been through many engineering changes in my life and many had to do with stupid tolerancing during design often related to tolerance stack-up. I'm not familiar with Statistical Tolerancing but look forward to any and all replies. Good topic.

Marc, I second that statement. I look forward to lots of discussion on statistcal tolerancing.
IMO statistical tolerancing is one of the first steps in the design phase. Without it a six sigma process will fail.

R

Ravi Khare

No leads? I was looking forward to pointers.

What I looked up fell into two categories.

One using monte carlo simulation and predicting the resultant tolerance stack ups (typically of assemblies) based on individual (component) tolerances.

The second category was the tolerance design based on Design of Experiments and analysis of variance... deliberate change in component dimensions to study their sensitivity on the stacked up tolerance.

The more I read, the more I think appropriate tolerancing is one of the major keys to Quality improvement and cost reduction.

Let's discuss on...

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
We call the topic "Realistic Tolerancing" and it forms part of our six sigma projects.

We determine the input tolerance (x) from the output tolerance (y) by using regression analysis and it scares the crap out of designers and their dreams.

If you have a good correlation between x and y its easy if you have statistical software like Minitab.

(I also remember covering the subject at college many years ago, but if I recall the formula was really basic and based upon Cp values. I'll try to find my old notes and blow the dust off them can't promise though).

Geoff

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Statistical Tolerances in GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 31
ScottK Root Sum Square and Statistical Tolerancing help needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L What is Statistical Tolerancing? How to apply it to a product? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M Minimum sample size - Guidance and statistical rationale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
John Predmore Interactive visualization through graphical simulation of statistical concepts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Bev D Profound Statistical Concepts Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 63
A Statistical Analysis - Check if these organisms at different concentrations affect the growth of wheat seedlings Using Minitab Software 4
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
optomist1 It’s time to talk about ditching statistical significance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
John Predmore A Balanced view of statistical tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S IATF 16949 9.1.1.3 Application of statistical concepts - Our technicians are quizzed for statistical knowledge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
ScottK Statistical basis for 30 pieces for FAI 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B IATF 16949 clause 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Statistical Process Control and Inspection in Footwear Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
M IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Steve Prevette Statistical Process Control Library Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
Marc Happy Birthday Statistical Steven - 2015 Covegratulations 10
L When are Statistical techniques not applicable? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
M FDA 21 CFR 820.250 - Does "valid statistical" always mean math? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R Common Statistical Errors Using Minitab Software 1
Y Statistical Analysis of Road Traffic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
B Class II Medical Device Manufacturer - SOP for 820.250 Statistical 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Correct Statistical Test comparing 2 Groups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
A Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Capability Analysis - Unusual Statistical Distribution of my Proccess Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M PhD Thesis Data Statistical Analysis Methods Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
N Statistical Quality Improvement Action for Small Batch Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
V Validation of macro - scripts - programs used in statistical software (Minitab-SAS... Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
Moncia Statistical Process Control Crash Course - Question Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
H Statistical Models for Predictive Management of Software Processes Software Quality Assurance 2
A Statistical Correlation between ordered SKUs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Minitab and Crystal Ball Statistical Analysis Software Using Minitab Software 13
M Determining if two different X's have any Statistical Significance on the Y's Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I Statistical Stability for the PQ of Analytical Equipment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
F Statistical Comparison of Product: High Average vs. Low Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
E Using ANOVA during the PQ Validation Run to evaluate Statistical Differences Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
W Gage R&R for gage pins used to inspect a hole ID called a Statistical Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B AS 9100C sec 8.2.4 - " Recognized Statistical Principles" meaning AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
R What is PSW - Statistical Process Package + Level 5 APQP and PPAP 7
O Is SPC (Statistical Process Control) always required? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Any experience/feedback on statistical software tools...minitab -design expert -JMP Using Minitab Software 4
M SPC (Statistical Process Control) Book Recommendations wanted Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1