Statistically Determining how many Tests to conduct.

J

JLRothbauer

Question: How to determine how many samples needed to ensure that you have statistical similarity, i.e. one more sample is just more numbers..

Background info....
I am conducting a series of tests on our newly complete Co-Extrusion Film line. We have produced a tremendous amount of samples and we are currently working our way through them.
Our mission is to measure the thickness of each individual layer in the 3 layer film using a microscope.
We have several hundred samples 82 inches wide that are tested every inch.
For each individual test there are three measurement made: Thickness Layer 1, Thickness Layer 1 + 2, Total Thickness.
So, in the end, you have a web profile indicating the film's thickness.
How do you determine how many samples are necessary. Each sample takes over 2 hours to do, so the difference between 5 and 10 is a huge amount of time.
When is, for example, 5 samples worth of data no better than 6 samples worth of data on a statistical level. How do I determine this?
Ugh, what an ugly post. I must apologize that I can't find the proper way to put my problem into words anyone can understand.

Well I thank you all in advance; any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Do you have access to "Quality Planning and Analysis", Juran/Gryna?

You are testing a hypothesis and Chapter 10 in this book details what you need to know far better than I can put it to words here.

Regards,

Kevin

J

JLRothbauer

Thanks.

No, I don't actually have access to that book, but I do have others I can look into.

I have some statistical training under the belt, but my problem has always been application of the techniques when/where. I see that the isse is rearing its ugly head yet again.

I will go through my book on the topic of Testing an Hypothesis and relearn the technique.

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
When studying for the CQE, I found this book to be an invaluable source of information. Chapter 10 uses several types of tests (i.e. sample to a population, population to population, etc.). This should help you to determine what test to use, two or single tail tests in determining, or reference you to other reading that will help.

I'd get the book. I own two myself keeping one here at work, and the other at home.

Regards,

Kevin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How to Statistically Prove 2 Dimensions are Related Using Minitab Software 18
F Sample Size to get Statistically Valid Data Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
S Statistically valid number of biopsy devices should be tested US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
D Best Minitab Tool to determine a Statistically Significant Trend Using Minitab Software 5
P Sterile Packaging Validation - FDA Requirements for Statistically Valid Tests 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
K Statistically Valid Audit Sample for Management System Audits? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
F How to statistically determine the maximum performance life of a chemical Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Statistically valid method for multiple raw material sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
H How to Select a Statistically Valid Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
H Process that is Not Stable vs. Not Statistically Capable - Differences Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
J Demonstrate Receiving Inspection Sampling Method is Statistically Adequate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
N Statistically Comparing Technician Techniques Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 16
B Statistically Sound Data Sampling Technique for Internal Audits Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
S Getting started with statistically based process improvement The Reading Room 12
M Statistically Toleranced Drawing Feature Dimensions - Target Value and Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L How to Monitor Corrective Actions - Statistically Monitoring Corrective Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 34
G Pp and Ppk indices - Is it statistically possible to have a Ppk greater than Pp? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
M Auditing Statistically - A statistical approach to sample sizes General Auditing Discussions 11
J Statistically Valid Sample Sizes For SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Determining sample sizes for PQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M Determining if an Insulin Pen Testing Machine is a Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Determining a tolerance value for Measuring devices in-house inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Determining the the maximum number of reprocessing cycles of attachments CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
B Determining SAT Offsets vs TUS Offsets per SAE AMS 2750E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
B Determining sample size for device sterility Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification' AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Clause 8.2.2 Determining the requirements for products and services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
V Determining FDA 820 (registration) vs ISO 13485 - Supplier gives us the kit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J ISO 9001 8.4.1 - Determining controls applied to externally provided processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Determining what is good and what is bad can be subjective - when is it a quality issue? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
M Determining number of employees within the "Scope" of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Determining the Scope of the QMS during Stage 1? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
W Minor Audit Nonconformance Against Determining the scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
D Determining Critical Components for conformity with IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 21
Q ISO 9001, section 4.3 Determining the scope of our QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Determining Sample Size for Medical Device Component Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
A What does 8.2.2.1, Determining the requirements related to products and services,mean IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Determining Retention Period for Medical Device QMS documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Surveillance Sampling Test - Determining Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5