Statistics for Dummies - Book, class, or tutorial to help me understand

R

RosieA

It's hard to be an expert on everything that gets thrown at you in a QA Mgr. job, and one of my weak spots is stats. I get the general gist, and have even done some P charts, but find that I quickly get in over my head when customers want to know something technical.

Do any of you know of a book, class, or tutorial of some kind that is basic and structured for your average fool? :eek:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bob_M

I don't know the current price ($200-300 I think) but we use a training/tutorial program from resource engineering, called SPC workout.

It has 3 levels and we have all employees go thru level 1 for basic SPC training. Level 2 and 3 get harder and more "statistical". I don't remeber much about level 2 and 3 but I'm sure it has plenty of info for the "average fool" and then some. (I need a refresher myself when I get some time. At the moment we really don't deal with SPC or statistics except for the rare PPAP...)

Resource Engineering, Inc.: Computer-Based Training for Quality and Productivity Improvement

(No I don't work for them!)

P.S. I just looked, you may need the ADVANCED SPC CD-Rom to get into the more technical end of SPC and stats.

ksanders

Involved In Discussions
Donald Wheelers book "Understanding Statistical Process Control" is one of the best books I have seen. It starts very basic, and build as it goes on to provide a unique understanding of why control charts work, as well as explains some of the theroy behind the factors used in calculations. It's been a few years since I've read it, but it's the first book I recommend to folks who ask this question. Check the link below for information and pricing.

Here's a review form the web page that sum's it up as well:

"It is a really great book about SPC methods. Clearly written, Dr. Wheelers book explains the dos and donts of SPC techniques. I found Dr. Wheelers style of writing simple, but always reaching SPC target. If you are looking for a sound and understandable information about SPC, read it. It is worthwhile book. " :)

Understanding Statistical Process Control by Donald J. Wheeler and David S. Chambers

The one book that I found to be the easiest to understand is the "AT&T Statistical Quality Control HAndbook". This was the only book I used, back in the day, when taking my CQE exam.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Rosie,

I think there is a book actually called "Statistics for Dummies" you might want to look at, though I have not reviewed it personally.

Do you have a Juran's Quality Control Handbook? While expensive, this one book is like a bible for anyone in the Q field. While the level of writing may not be what you want -- you'll have to see -- it darn sure covers just about everything you could ask for in the Q world, stats included. Used bookstores and/or Half Priced Books might get you a copy at a decent price.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Richard Regalado What could go wrong with information: Ransomware statistics and facts (2018 to present) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
qualprod Statistics - Where to start in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Ninja Visitor Statistics - How to see a poster's stats easily? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 3
D How do you use statistics in your job Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
V Accelerated Learning and Simulations / Scenarios - Statistics Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
P Where to find conformance statistics for ISO 15189 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V Statistics - Designs - Differences between Orthogonality and Confounding Using Minitab Software 5
M Statistics Question - What percent falls above 105? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Assessing a Preventive Maintenance Strategy - Reliability or Maintenance Statistics Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Statistics and Sampling - Accounting for Failed Tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
T Metrics and Statistics for Improvement - Easy to implement Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
C Statistics equation to determine the number of samples in a lot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A ASQ CQE statistics training in Australia? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
E Online Degrees and Graduate Certificates in Statistics Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
AnaMariaVR2 Guide to Microsoft Excel for Calculations, Statistics, and Plotting Data Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
C Basic Statistics Template .xls Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
S Statistics in Check/Replicate Analysis - HPLC Assay (Sample Duplicates) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Student Question - Help needed with statistics questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M The Statistical Meaning of "Muddy Middle" - Statistics Terminology Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
B Descriptive Statistics where the Data Type is Text? Using Minitab Software 4
R Industry Statistics on the benefits of Quality Management Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Jim Wynne xkcd on Statistics and Mainstream Media Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
A R using RExcel - Non GUI Statistics Program Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Wes Bucey Job recovery? or "statistics don't lie, people do" Career and Occupation Discussions 37
G Statistics Question from Production and Operations Management Course Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
O Information on the extent of Statistics in the Six Sigma Green Belt Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
J Gage R&R Module for R (Statistics Program) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T Survey or Statistics on the use of OHSAS 18001 Worldwide Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 66
T Survey or Statistics on the use of the AS 9100 Standard Worldwide AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
H Elsmar Cove Statistics Found Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Chennaiite Quotable Quotes - Statistics Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 10
S Statistics of Gage R&R & Boundary Specifications Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
K Sample Statistics on HR (Human Resources) Key Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
bio_subbu FDA released guidance on use of Bayesian statistics in Clinical Studies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
O Weighting Problems (Statistics) - Weight distribution for a machine setup Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
S "Human Error" statistics Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S ASQ CSSBB Exam & Knowledge of Statistics Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
J Are there PPM statistics kept by Industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Marc Battery-Life Statistics After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
F Error in Minitab (no statistics can be calculated with these data) Using Minitab Software 10
O The Basis of %GRR (% Gage R&R) and other Statistics - Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
V Management Review Meeting - Statistics for Customer Complaints and Non Conformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T The use of Statistics at a Medical Device Manufacturer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
Y Statistics and MiniTab - Example Problems Using Minitab Software 4
W Application of Statistics/ SPC tools in Oil Refineries Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
Q Specific requirements for Statistics in CQE exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
A Best certification combination with Masters in Statistics Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
BradM Use of Non-Parametric Statistics and Non-Normal Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 33