Statutory and Regulatory Requirements - How to address 7.2.1c

I

ivan99

:frust:
I apologize for reopening this discussion, but after I read all the discussions, I am still uncertain on how to address this sub-clause.
The 9001-2000 std states:
"The Organization shall determine:....
c) statutory and regulatory requirements related to the PRODUCT...)
My questions:
1- For those who are certified already to 9001-2000, how did your auditors approach this? What proof did they ask for to verify your compliance?
2- We are in the nameplate industry (labels, nameplates etc...), the only regulatory requirements we know of are for UL, CSA and American Gas. Our order takers are not aware of any laws governing the label/nameplates industry. We have industry standards and practices published by SGIA and that is all !!
This requirement creates extreme hardship and expenses (to research all applicable laws and regulations) on small companies like mine.
Any help is much appreciated...Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy Olson

Ivan,

I'm not sure if this will help, but I figured I would tell you how we handle this. We are a contract manufacturer for circuit boards. Our customers are responsible for the design, but we supply a document that we created to give guidelines for manufacturability to our customers. These guidelines are based on industry standards, but are translated into something a little more understandable for our customers.

During our audit this question never came up directly. The auditor looked at our manufacturability guidelines and also saw that we incorporate the requirements into the inspection process. I hope this helps at least a bit. Let me know if you want me to explain anything a bit more, or if there is other information I can help with.

B

Bruce Wade

A few possible examples:

(Forewarning: We have an integrated ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001 management system. The regulatory requirements of many examples may be blurred between these two standards...)

If the process requires or generates hazardous waste, appropriate documentation is required for acquisition/disposal.

If use of the final product requires permits or special handling, these regulatory requirements may/must be communicated to the Client prior to production/distribution.

If services provided require permitting, acquiring and documenting the permits is required.

Another example from here: We produce mass mailed printed pieces. As such there are USPS regulations governing the size and weight restrictions, and corresponding postage rates.

And so on...

Yes, our registrar does examine our documentation and records for these types of regulatory requirements. But, then again, they always did in response to ISO 14001 certification requirements. The requirements in ISO 9001:2000 only add to the intensity...

E

Edith

Funny you should ask...

Hi there!

This element really TICKED me off. We have been certified to the 2000 standard for a year now, and the auditor seemed to just zone in on this one element.

He wanted to see how we effectivley went through certain governement documents to validate the projects we were working on. Just so we knew what we were doing. Your external documents list should give you some ideas.

Good luck~!
Edith:bigwave: :confused:

C

Carl Exter

Our registrar hasn't really honed in on this situation. We design, manufacture, and distribute electrical power products. As such we have UL and CE regulations and standards to follow. We have the standards controlled in our engineering department for their reference during design. But ultimately, UL has the final say-so on whether or not we meet the regulatory requirements.

Obviously, we don't depend on them to verify or validate our designs, but they do cover our butts I guess from legal requirements when they bless a new design and give it the UL seal of approval, so to speak.

I think that if an auditor wanted to see that we control our regulatory requirements, we could provide data to the effect of # of submissions for UL approval vs. # of approvals vs. # of rejections where we had to redesign something. This would show that we control the standards and requirements as if we weren't, we have a high reject/ redesign rate as opposed to a high first-time approval rate.

Hope it helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pcoltsqe AS9100 - The statement 'applicable statutory and regulatory requirements' AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 4.4.1.1, 8.4.2.2, 8.6.5 - Statutory and Regulatory Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
apestate How to determine all regulatory and statutory requirements to be met? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G AS9100 - Clarify what is meant by Statutory & Regulatory Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M 7.4.1.1 Statutory & Regulatory Conformity: Legal Requirements of which Country? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M AS9100 4.1 How can I know/monitor applicable regulatory/statutory requirements? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
somashekar About ISO9001 Scope and Applicable Statutory and Regulatory Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Customer, Statutory and Regulatory Requirements - Intent of Clause 4.1, Note 3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Statutory & Regulatory Requirements - Who is accountable for changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S What Statutory & Regulatory Requirements can an ISO 9001 internal auditor audit Internal Auditing 15
J Any other statutory & regulatory requirements other than FAA Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
J Internal Auditing Requirements of Statutory and Regulatory Requirements for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Statutory vs. Regulatory requirements - ISO 9001:2008, clause 1.1 Note 2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Statutory and regulatory requirements (7.2.1c) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
somashekar Cl 7.2.1c Statutory and Regulatory Requirements Related to the Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Please define "Statutory and Regulatory Requirements" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W Statutory and Regulatory requirements - Including Shipping ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Statutory Requirements - 7.3.2 - Applicable statutory and regulatory requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A At what stage do you review new product statutory / regulatory requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A Where can we find Statutory and Regulatory Requirements related to our Product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Marc Statutory & Regulatory Requirements - Comply with applicable laws - 7.2.1 (c) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Statutory/Regulatory for NACE Code 25.9 (Manufacture of fabricated metal products) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S AS9100 Foreword: Meet or Exceed customer & applicable statutory and regulatory req... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D What is difference between Statutory and Regulatory with Documents of External Origin ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N Statutory and regulatory requirement examples in metal fabrication Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 8
V Updating Quality Manual - Adding the word Statutory in front of laws and regulations Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
G ISO9001 applicable statutory requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J Determining Legal& Statutory requirements while Auditing Design & Development process Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
K Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Exam - November 2020 preparation Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
dgrainger Clue to UK's new regulatory requirements - approval of all devices placed on the market? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
A Regulatory requirements for electrical cosmetic appliances US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S RA (Regulatory Affairs) certification & Online Internship Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Regulatory clearance pathways for surgical masks/N95 respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P MDR PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) and personal liability EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Watchcat Year of the Regulatory Watchcat Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
W Updated EU MDR regulatory matrix wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
S SOPs applicable for Regulatory Affairs department Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Ronen E Legal counselling and Medical Devices Regulatory Affairs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Regulatory strategy for Third party plugin in a PACS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Regulatory Medical Device PMA Plans US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational TGA – Australian regulatory action on breast implants and breast tissue expanders Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0