Statutory & Regulatory Requirements - Comply with applicable laws - 7.2.1 (c)

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The way to think of this is to ask your self what legal requirements are applicable to your business / product. All ISO says is that you have to comply with applicable laws.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Mullins

Firstly I'd suggest you should thically be complying with legal requirements associated with the "products" of the company.

Secondly I'd recommend we wait and see what is in the actual 9001:2000 standard.

As an aside, I asked the Australian Quality Council (who administer the Australian Business Excellence Awards - similar to Baldrige) about them providing consultancy work and advice in areas of business improvement, and determining whether to improve things or not. I asked what would happen if they consulted with two ISO 9001:2000 registered/certified companies who were subsequently sued in relation to inactivity of correcting problems upon the advice of the consultant, and used this in mitigation to deminish their compensation liability.

Then the two companies used their registration/certification to attempt to further mitigate their position, based on their Registrar having conducted a surveillance audit of the premises only several days prior to the event. The two companies claimed they believed their legal position in relation to the risks associated with their "product" was sound, given that their external auditor had given them a clean bill of health.

Does the inclusion of legal requirements in 9001:2000 open a can of worms in terms of liability, litigation and mitigation, not just for the immediate company, but for external agencies?

------------------

A

Alf Gulford

Marc-
Can you tell me where to find that reference? It's probably right in front of me but I once had an auditor from a ISO registrar pull that on me as he launched off into an FDA style investigation (this was his background and his comfort zone). I should heve called him on it but didn't, and never could find the reference.

Thanks.

Alf

[This message has been edited by Alf Gulford (edited 21 November 2000).]

E

energy

Regulatory and Legal Requirements

I understand regulatory requirements. Can any one give an example of Legal requirements as it applies to ISO 9000:2000. I'm sure it's simple, but, so am I. Thanx

R

romelnar

Statutory vs. Regulatory Requirements: What's the difference?

i'm a bit confused as to what is a statutory requirement? a regulatory requirement? can anybody help me on these?

thanks.

J

Jon Shaver

Statute = a law
Regulation = control of practices (to stay within a law)

Let's say the law says you can't kill your employees (seems reasonable). The regulation may require you to tell employees about hazards they may face.

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
7.2.1 (c) Statutory & Regulatory Requirements

This clause used to be in design and is really part of that. Since we don't do any design, does anyone think I could exclude our company from this clause?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Russ,

Depending upon your business, there are always some sort of regulatory and statutory requirements.

OSHA, EPA, your state laws ....the list goes on. A good source for state and local info would be your CFO.

Hope this helps you

E

energy

Russ,
The guide lines say the "processes" as a result of legal or regulatory requirements. If you paint, there are air emissions and paint waste disposal standards. If you have machining centers, waste lubricant disposal. I don't quite understand how to address these issues, yet. We have State approved permits for waste water discharges and I haven't figured out how to tie them into an ISO document. OSHA, EPA, DEP regulations are separate nightmares, usually handled by a trained individual with expertise in those fields. I'm not doing anything about that clause until we can make sure that we aren't indulging in overkill. One example comes to mind, regarding the clause, where it is easy to see the application. If a company makes machinery or a product that is inherently dangerous, it is bound by law (OSHA)to incorporate mandatory safeguards to protect operators. Other than that, I'm lost. You may have to list what programs you have, person responsible and where the documents are stored. Like Steelmaiden says, everybody has them. I wouldn't advise to take exception. Auditors will be ready for that one, and they have enough ammunition as it is.

energy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pcoltsqe AS9100 - The statement 'applicable statutory and regulatory requirements' AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 4.4.1.1, 8.4.2.2, 8.6.5 - Statutory and Regulatory Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
apestate How to determine all regulatory and statutory requirements to be met? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G AS9100 - Clarify what is meant by Statutory & Regulatory Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M 7.4.1.1 Statutory & Regulatory Conformity: Legal Requirements of which Country? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M AS9100 4.1 How can I know/monitor applicable regulatory/statutory requirements? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
somashekar About ISO9001 Scope and Applicable Statutory and Regulatory Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Customer, Statutory and Regulatory Requirements - Intent of Clause 4.1, Note 3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Statutory & Regulatory Requirements - Who is accountable for changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S What Statutory & Regulatory Requirements can an ISO 9001 internal auditor audit Internal Auditing 15
J Any other statutory & regulatory requirements other than FAA Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
J Internal Auditing Requirements of Statutory and Regulatory Requirements for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Statutory vs. Regulatory requirements - ISO 9001:2008, clause 1.1 Note 2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Statutory and regulatory requirements (7.2.1c) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
somashekar Cl 7.2.1c Statutory and Regulatory Requirements Related to the Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Please define "Statutory and Regulatory Requirements" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W Statutory and Regulatory requirements - Including Shipping ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Statutory Requirements - 7.3.2 - Applicable statutory and regulatory requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
I Statutory and Regulatory Requirements - How to address 7.2.1c ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A At what stage do you review new product statutory / regulatory requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A Where can we find Statutory and Regulatory Requirements related to our Product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Statutory/Regulatory for NACE Code 25.9 (Manufacture of fabricated metal products) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S AS9100 Foreword: Meet or Exceed customer & applicable statutory and regulatory req... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D What is difference between Statutory and Regulatory with Documents of External Origin ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N Statutory and regulatory requirement examples in metal fabrication Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 8
V Updating Quality Manual - Adding the word Statutory in front of laws and regulations Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
G ISO9001 applicable statutory requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J Determining Legal& Statutory requirements while Auditing Design & Development process Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
K Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Exam - November 2020 preparation Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
dgrainger Clue to UK's new regulatory requirements - approval of all devices placed on the market? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
A Regulatory requirements for electrical cosmetic appliances US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S RA (Regulatory Affairs) certification & Online Internship Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Regulatory clearance pathways for surgical masks/N95 respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P MDR PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) and personal liability EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Watchcat Year of the Regulatory Watchcat Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
W Updated EU MDR regulatory matrix wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
S SOPs applicable for Regulatory Affairs department Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Ronen E Legal counselling and Medical Devices Regulatory Affairs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Regulatory strategy for Third party plugin in a PACS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Regulatory Medical Device PMA Plans US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational TGA – Australian regulatory action on breast implants and breast tissue expanders Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0