Steam sterilizer medical device reclassification

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ECHO

Involved In Discussions
I ran your question through google translate and I got the following:
"How can I classify a steam sterilizer that is class IIb under MDD according to rule 16?"

What is your steam sterilizer intended to sterilize?

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
I have the same question, we would like to sanitize a surgeon helmet. would be then class 2 b acc to rule 16?
Per MDR rule 16 the device would be Class IIa as the surgeon helmet would not be invasive. If the device is used for anything that is invasive, then it would be Class IIb.

(All devices intended specifically to be used for disinfecting or sterilising medical devices are classified as class IIa, unless they are disinfecting solutions or washer-disinfectors intended specifically to be used for disinfecting invasive devices, as the end point of processing, in which case they are classified as class IIb.)

Malomsoki Gabor

Starting to get Involved
Per MDR rule 16 the device would be Class IIa as the surgeon helmet would not be invasive. If the device is used for anything that is invasive, then it would be Class IIb.

(All devices intended specifically to be used for disinfecting or sterilising medical devices are classified as class IIa, unless they are disinfecting solutions or washer-disinfectors intended specifically to be used for disinfecting invasive devices, as the end point of processing, in which case they are classified as class IIb.)
ok thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Guideline to Calibrate Chamber Temp. & Pressure of a Medical Steam Sterilizer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
E Class II Implant Steam Sterilizer Validation Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Q Autoclave and Sample Container - Pressure-steam cooking's effect Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
H Max and Min Load Determination for Steam Sterilization of Liquds EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J EU countries and steam sterilisation protocol EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R Does an Outside Steam Generator need to be Registered in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Steam Sanitization Requirements for Parts for Medical Device Manufacturing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S ETO ISO 11135-1 & ISO 17665-2 - Purity and Quality of Steam (Humidity) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
L Steam Sterilization Validation per ANSI ST 79 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
V SPC for Continuous Steam Sterilization Unit Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Purity and Quality of Steam In EO Sterilization Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
S Steam Sterilization Validation Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
bio_subbu ISO 25424:2009 Sterilization of Medical Devices Low Temperature Steam & Formaldehyde ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Correct Label Symbol to be used for Steam Sterilisation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K MSA for Steam Autoclave Automatic Controller and Measurement System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Marc Mount St. Helens Shoots Steam, Ash - 8 March 2005 World News 0
A Validation of Steam Sterilzers Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M Steam sterilization standards - Temperatures, pressures, and time numbers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G UVC sterilizer CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Our local sterilizer is closing - Record Retention Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I ETO Sterilizer Validation (ISO 11135:2007) Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
V Can we use same autoclave (sterilizer) for media preparation & waste disposal? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 3
I Guidelines that specify the frequency of ETO Sterilizer Re-Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Sterilization Validation ISO 14937 - Sterilizer that uses EO gas diffusion Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
K 2021/2226 on Electronic Instructions for Use (IFU) for medical devices Article 22 Packs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Telemedicine as a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Definition of disease as per medical device defintion EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
G No new regulations in Austria medical device register after 26th Mai, 2022 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A What activities are included in the action of marketing you medical device in U.S.? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Is there a definition of accessories for medical devices in China? China Medical Device Regulations 1
C Is there a list of products or classifications subject to medical device regulations in El Salvador? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Class II Active Medical Device SYSTEMS and COMPONENTS Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
B Rework of a medical device EU regulations EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Interesting Discussion Chapter 7.5 of ISO 13485 for manufacturers of mobile medical applications ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Drawing Requirements for Catalog Items (Class II Medical Device) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Registration of medical devices in Greece EU Medical Device Regulations 0
V ADDING NEW MEDICAL DEVICE / Product, WHEATHER THIS AFFECTS EXISTING ISO 13485 CERTIFICATION? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Customer Feedback Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Regulatory Affairs in a start-up medical device company Career and Occupation Discussions 1
L Non Applicability of Clauses in ISO13485 for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M Medical Devices - DFM Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
somashekar Medical device file Vs Role undertaken by the organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Medical Device Label - Language EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D MDR: Active medical device or not? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 14
H Mapping QMS+business processes in a medical device with class I and IIa+b Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
Aliken Registration veterinary medical device (laser) requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
B Transport Validation For Non-sterile Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Classification Accessory Software medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4