Steel 90 Degree Angle Block Calibration

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have some old steel/iron 90degree angle blocks that are being calibrated. The company says that they should be square within .0002, but that many companies go to .0025. We measure to .003 inches. The face that we measure and butt against is 10 x 8 inches. Sometimes we use the entire surface to measure and butt against. Any info on the proper calibration is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't have the specs for your angle blocks handy, nor do I specialize in mechanical calibrations. But I do have a couple of thoughts in general metrological principles.

1. Unless there is a compelling reason, I recommend always certifying your standards to manufacturer's specs. Sounds like you know what they are anyway.

2. Sounds like your standard has "apparently" appropriate specs for what you want to calibrate with it (with the qualifier that this is not my expert area).

3. Something sounds questionable when an outside lab is trying to "sell" you on certifying your standard at less than it's designed specs.

If I were speculating, I would guess it possible a vendor may not have adequate uncertainty to correctly calibrate to its full specs. So in the interest of still keeping the business, suggests calibrating to lower specs.

If the unit cal'd by the standard is +/-0.003, it is not desirable to have the standard certified only to +/-0.0025. You are barely better than 1:1 uncertainty ratio.

My vote is to find and use an adequate vendor that has correct capability to certify your standard to it's full specs (especially since it appears you need full specs to adequately calibrate your units).

Do what's needed to assure risk to products at your company is minimized.

That's my two cents. Hope that is of some help.

E

energy

This is a good one!

gpainter said:
Thanks Jerry. Any others????
A long time ago, my QA Manager answered this exact question for me. We had two of these blocks and they were on the Calibration list. He said, "Take one of our calibrated squares and place them both on our tool grade surface plate. Butt the square up against the block and with our calibrated flashlight, shine a beam where they meet. If you see no light, or just a little, you're good to go. You'll know what +/-.005" looks like". I swear. :frust: :vfunny:

We use a Squaremaster column to calibrate these. It looks like a Height Gage, but inside is a granite column that moves up and down. This Squaremaster column is calibrated against a standard granite angle.

Your accuracy sounds about right at .0002 total indicated reading. If you were to calculate measurement uncertainy, you probably would have .00005" of error in the measurement.

merrick65

Involved In Discussions
Re: Steel Angle Block Calibration

I see where Mitutoyo uses the following tolerances (ref CLTM-1 Mitutoyo Calibration Procedure of Angle Blocks): For blocks with angles <= 30º ± 20 seconds and for blocks with angles between 30º - 90º ± 40 seconds. I know my post is kind of late but I just started looking here.

M

MysterHK

We use a Squaremaster column to calibrate these. It looks like a Height Gage, but inside is a granite column that moves up and down. This Squaremaster column is calibrated against a standard granite angle.

Your accuracy sounds about right at .0002 total indicated reading. If you were to calculate measurement uncertainy, you probably would have .00005" of error in the measurement.
Great tip, Charles! :agree1:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Just a clarification--MU Error. He would probably have .00005" of uncertainty in the measurement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G National Structural Steel Specification 7th Edition - Do I now have to be audited against ISO 3843-3 as well as ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Difference between Stainless Steel 316 ASTM F899 and ASTM A276 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Ron Rompen 2D matrix issue - Parts (machined steel) returned from the customer Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
Manix Supplied Steel Material Testing Norms and Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
M Identifying Technologies for Non Destructive Examination of steel brazed joints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P Gas Nitriding Surface Hardening of Stainless Steel 304 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B AS NZS 5131 - Procedure on Concessions with focus on Steel Fabrication Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
G Heat Number on CofC - Stainless steel tube Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
K California's Proposition 65 - Solvent and Stainless Steel Alloy questions RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 11
O MSA Study for a steel ruler Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
N Do I need to approach galvanized steel sheet flatness issue with DOE? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
hogheavenfarm Kobe Steel material data falsification Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
R Sourcing steel plate material to J403 Grade 1010 - 1022 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Ron Rompen Help with Corrosion (Humidity) Testing Procedure - Sintered Metal Steel Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
C DFAR 252.225-7008 - Is aluminum, say T6061, considered specialty metal (i) steel? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
V Ultrasonic NDT on CNC Product made of Stainless Steel General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Use of SS304 in place of SS301 (Stainless Steel) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
L Large sand steel casting discontinuities Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D Definition Resquared Sheets of Steel - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
M ASTM Stainless Steel Density Table Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
M Micrometer Anvil Placement to measure the diameter of Steel Wires Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
W Japanese Steel Specifications - A material called HNCM220M Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Stainless Steel Surface Quality for Ophthalmic Surgical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
gembul FMEA for Steel Tube Process for Automotive FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Who says you can't calibrate a steel rule! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 14
R How to determine the Thickness tolerance of the Cold Rolled Steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
S Spring Steel Hydrogen Embrittlement Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
L How to Assess Adhesion of Stickers on Painted Steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
E Identification of Nonconforming Products in a Coil and Strip Steel Plant Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G MSA on a Ruler measuring Slit Steel Coil Raw Material Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Chemical Composition of Stainless Steel 1.4310 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Q Heat Treat Steel, Rockwell C - Variability in Complex Machined Shapes Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
H ISO Standard for Titanium & Stainless Steel finishing for Implant Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
P ASTM Standard, Stainless Steel angle that has been rejected because it is not ?square Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Sean Kelley Steel Coil Scale Verification Resolution Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
Sean Kelley Gage R&R for Visual Inspection for Sheet Steel Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T Steel Material Entry into the IMDS system RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
G Aspects - Use of Purchased Steel Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
B Hot Rolled Steel Coil Rust Prevention Tests Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V What does the suffix 2 mean on 1010AK2 steel? APQP and PPAP 1
J IEC 60601 (Steel Ball Impact Test) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Geoff Cotton The Ductile-Brittle Transition Temperature (DBTT) of Steel Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
C How Can I Identify 304 Stainless Steel? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Calibration Cycle for Standard Iron & Steel Plate Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
D Calibration Frequency of Thread Gages use for Aluminium and Stainless Steel Products Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
M Pits on Plating of 440 Stainless Steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Fender1 PPAP-PSW Accuracy Concern - Laser Cut Holes In Formed Fabricated Steel Part APQP and PPAP 15
V PPAP Steel Coils from a Purchase Order APQP and PPAP 5
J Trying to determine whether a steel plate is bowed with a Faro Arm Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8