SBS - The best value in QMS software

Sterilisation Validation - VDmax for e-beam

J

jampot

Hello
We are considering using e-beam to terminally sterilise a medical device and I wondered if the VDmax method (previously applied to substantiate 25kGy gamma for a different device) can be used to validate this particular sterilisation process?

Any other guidance on the use of e-beam would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Jampot

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
This is not an area that I'm an expert in, but I would think you would have to validate the sterilization process of each device unless they are similar enough to be considered a family. Hopefully someone with the experience in this will comment.

M

Microbe

Like Al, I'm not an expert on e-beam, but if you look at ISO11137-2:2006 - Sterilisation of health care products - radiation - part 2 establishing the sterilisation dose it does quote the VDmax method.

Regards

Microbe

K

Kees Fremery

When you look at the scope if the ISO 11137-1 you can see that it covers Gamma radiation and also e-beam.
Using e-beam you do have to consider the transference of radiation sources. This is depending on your product. See 8.4 of ISO11137-1
If you want to make use of the data of the first validation you can find guidance in part 2, chapter 4.4

I hope this helps you.

With kind regards,
Kees Fremery

V

vinodashri

Hello

I have a question. We have validated our product using e beam sterilization. Now we want to consider Gamma sterilization and validate our product. Once we finish validating, Can we alternate between e beam and gamma sterilization for the same product? Since we have validated in both methods, can we use both methods alternately for sterilizing our products.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi,

I believe the best way to handle (and control) it would be as 2 different products, that you could then sell as equivalents to clients who were made aware.

Cheers,
Ronen.

K

Kees Fremery

If you have validated both e-beam and gamma you can switch for sterilization between the two techniques. The condition however is that you perform Dose Audits on both gamma and beam. I think this only applies to the verification experiment and the Bioburden is covering both.

C

csterling

Hello

I would like feedback on the following scenario:

For e-beam sterilization, it is acceptable to do a verification dose with sterilization provider -X- and then, the dose mapping with another sterilization provider -Y- with the intention to use sterilization provider -Y- for routine sterilization processing.

:thanx:

V

vinodashri

Thank you all. Do we have to repeat shelf life testing when we shift from e-beam to gamma sterilization methods? Or can we use the same accelerated aging and shelf life results for gamma as well. Only the sterilization method is changing, the product and the packaging remains the same. Please let me know.

C

csterling

Hello All

I have another question:

We are using e-beam sterilization. The product was validated using VDmax 25.
Let say that the average bioburden of the product when validated was 3.5cfu and then after a couple of dose audits the average bioburden is 10.5cfu....

Could we say that no actions are needed because according to the standard for an average bioburden of 3.5 using 25kGys the bioburden could go up to 220cfus?

Thanks in advanced.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N ETO Sterilisation Validation - EO Residual Minimum Sample Requirement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Eto Sterilisation Re-Validation Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
J Sterilisation Validation of Re-Usable Hospital Instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B ISO13485 Sterilisation Validation, Risk Management, Post Market Surveillance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
chris1price EtO Sterilisation Consultant Wanted Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
J EU countries and steam sterilisation protocol EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Is there an Industry Norm for Expiry of Sterilisation Validity? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
N ISO 11135 Monitoring Routine ETO Sterilisation Parameters Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Q Sterilisation ISO 11135 EtO-in-a-Bag (Novel Non-Traditional EtO Sterilization) Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
N Sterilisation of IV Bags used for Veterinary Blood Plasma Products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P ETO Sterilisation of Single Use Part supplied in Non-Sterile State EU Medical Device Regulations 12
I Correct Label Symbol to be used for Steam Sterilisation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T ETO Product Sterilisation Testing Standard Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C ISO 11137:1995 Sterilisation of healthcare products - Amd1:2001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
C Spreadsheet Validation and Release Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Packing Validation & Accelerated Aging Test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Sterile packing validation tests to be performed and protocol Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S OEM full range calibrations vs Validation special test points Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
H Software Validation for FFS Packaging Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q ISO 13485 7.5.6 Validation - Off the shelf Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M ERP / QMS related software standards for Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
C ISO 19227 Validation Cost Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A CNC Mill and Lathe - Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Example for design and development planning,input,output,review,verification,validation and transfer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Oracle Cloud ERP Validation during Quarterly Patch ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Software validation team Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
W LTPD, AQL, Ppk and Cpk validation sampling plan table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Validation Sample Size for Tray Seal Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R PCBA process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A ISO 17025 - Methods validation and clients ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Sterilization Validation Plan Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
D Difference between Test Method Validation and Gage R&R Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 18
T Laboratory Verification after validation ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
Z Is IQ necessary for laser marking validation? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M API 4F/7K/8C Design Package Validation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Annual Validation as a detection mode on a PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 5
B TMV - Selection of TM's for Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Forced ServiceNow validation - No change in our current user and functional requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 4
P Human Factors / Usability validation in the time of COVID Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 17
C Template for Excel Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6