Sterility Testing - USP Chapter 71 and ISO 11737-2

Nash27

Involved In Discussions
We have been issued with non-conformance from our regulatory authority for the sterility test (gamma sterilisation using VDmax25 method) were not performed with reference to the ISO 11137-2: 2012 standard where it require the use of ISO 11737-2-2009 Sterilisation of medical devices - Microbiological methods - Part 2- Tests of sterility performed in the definition, validation and maintenance of sterilisation process

As manufacturer we have referred to the USP Chapter 71 sterility test method to perform the sterility test and referred it in the Gamma validation report as well as in subsequent dose audit report.

I have compared the ISO 11737-2 standard vs USP Chapter 71 Sterility test and for my personal opinion USP 71 provides detailed method on how to perform sterility test where as ISO 11737-2 is guideline document at only one section it describes how to perform sterility test.

To address this non-conformance I have planned to perform kind of gap analysis / similarities between ISO 11737-2 vs USP Chapter 71 sterility test as well inclusion of reference of ISO 11737-2 in the dose audit report. This way I can demonstrate the sterility test performed using USP chapter 71 holds same authentication as that of the ISO 11737-2 guideline. Also, parts of the standard refers to the pharmacopoeial monographs. I guess I failed not to making reference to ISO 11737-2

(We use external service provider to conduct the sterility test and as per their procedure guideline they refer to the USP chapter 71 and also report the same in the sterility test result report, the lab do not refer to ISO 11737-2 standard).

Please someone let me know on my approach, is this a right way?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: Sterility Testing:- USP Chapter 71 and ISO 11737-2

From your description, it appears there's a discrepancy between what your regulatory authority wants and what your contract sterilization lab does.

Is your contract sterilization lab subject to the same regulatory authority, and if so, in conformance with the applicable regulations?

Do you have a certificate from an independent certification body pertaining to your sterile production processes and validations, such as (if you export to the EU) a CE certificate?

If so, does the certification body that issued that certificate have a microbiologist audit your and your service provider's sterilization related processes and validations?

Nash27

Involved In Discussions

Thanks MIREGMGR,

1. Our contract laboratory not reviewed by the TGA. It operates under ISO 10725 and approved by us.

2. Our contract manufacturing facility is ISO 13485: 2003 certified by notified body. Our company has conformity assessment certificate issued by the TGA for the sterile product that we manufacture and distribute in Australia.

3. No microbiologist audited the laboratory either from notified body or through the TGA

I am getting serious after your questions, wouldn't be my approach of comparing USP 71 vs ISO 11737-2 valid to address the non-conformance, the TGA auditor kind of agreed on my approach at the closing meeting. Please let me know your feedback.

Thanks

M

MIREGMGR

I'm not familiar with USP 71 so I can't offer a specific judgement.

An expert committee is responsible for ISO 11737-2. I wonder if their deliberations bear on the relationship between the two approaches, and in particular if the committee is on record as expressing an opinion about USP 71.

If you want to pursue this deep enough, you might consider contacting a member of that committee from your part of the world, to see if they can point you to documentation of the committee's development process for the current standard. I'd assume that USP 71, if it's similar in purpose and is older, must have been a starting point. I'd think it'd be critical to understand whether there was a divergence based on a substantive consideration, or instead the two documents are seen by the committee as essentially similar even though administratively independent.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

1. Our contract laboratory not reviewed by the TGA. It operates under ISO 10725 and approved by us.

2. Our contract manufacturing facility is ISO 13485: 2003 certified by notified body. Our company has conformity assessment certificate issued by the TGA for the sterile product that we manufacture and distribute in Australia.

3. No microbiologist audited the laboratory either from notified body or through the TGA

I am getting serious after your questions, wouldn't be my approach of comparing USP 71 vs ISO 11737-2 valid to address the non-conformance, the TGA auditor kind of agreed on my approach at the closing meeting. Please let me know your feedback.
The ISO 11737-2 describes a modified sterility test specifically for the detection of aerobic organisms which have been exposed
to sub-lethal sterilization cycles.

This ISO sterility test method is recommended for the validation of both gamma and electron beam sterilization processes. ISO recommends that the sterility test be validated by using known sterile products. The method of choice for EO sterilized products is the official USP <71> procedure.

Refer Pharma Solutions, Testing & Development | Avista Pharma

Yes, you could compare both the sterility methods and evaluate the differences.

Attachments

Nash27

Involved In Discussions

Dear Ajit,

Thanks for your comments, your explanation is much simpler and in line with my approach to address my question. Thanks for the White paper on sterility testing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How many Pieces to Test - Sterility Testing USP EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Sterility and BioBurden Testing for Plastics ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Sterility and Bioburden Testing - LAL passed under 0.5EU/mL Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
H EO Sterilization Validation - Sterility Testing and Load Configuration Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Sterility Testing vs Bioburden Testing - Differences Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
A Shelf Life Testing - We would like to extend the sterility expiration date Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D Sterility (bacteriostasis/fungistasis) Testing by Membrane Filtration validation Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
B Determining sample size for device sterility Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
B Sterility test on gloves ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Medical Devices Sterility - Question from A Regulator Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
O Freeze-Dried Powder Sterility Test using the Membrane Filtration Technique Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B IPCD Sterility test failure during MPQ (EO sterilization validation) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H ISO 13485 for Sterility Only? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Shelf Life Determination - Sterility test (Stasis test) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
N Consultant Obligations, CFR 803 and Sterility Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
A Sterility Assurance Level? Special 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
D ETO Sterility Requirements for FIM Clinical Study in Europe Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) Requirement for Sterility Validations Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Container Closure Integrity & Sterility Test - The Dye Immersion Method Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 16
B SAL (Sterility Assurance Level) for High Level Disinfection vs. Sterilization US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
S Sterility - Class I or Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Suitable Sterilization Cycle to achieve Sterility Assurance Level of <10-6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Gamma Sterility Validation - ISO 11137-2, 4.2 vs. FDA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Sterility Assurance Level of Liquids (SAL) - Special Culture Medium ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Testing cloud-based backups IT (Information Technology) Service Management 4
I IATF Lab Scope Testing Qualification and Competency Documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Chemical Testing on Medical Devices - Solutions in a container closure system (bag) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Comparing data from destructive testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Flammability testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
E Manufacturers should develop a testing device for covid19 Service Industry Specific Topics 0
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
K IEC 62304 - Testing Independance IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A ANSI/AAMI versions of 60601-1-2 and related testing requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C Surgical mask stability testing (CE mark) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Beliz Biocompatibility Testing for Laser Epilation Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
P Flammability Testing of Aircraft Interior Materials Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
JoCam Mobile Patient Hoists and Electrical Testing Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
T Interlaboratory comparison or proficiency testing in destructive testing of welded joints ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Inter-operator Variability Testing - Requirements for EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3