Sterilization Subcontractor - Quality Control

Hi,

I'm not a expert in sterilization process and for that, I have a doubt about the quality control of a sterilization subcontractor.

We are starting a OBL process and our OEM sterilizes the medical devices through a sterilization subcontractor. This company has the EN ISO 11137 certification (gamma sterilization).

I asked (directly to the sterilization company) for the instalation qualification (IQ) and operational qualification (OQ) and they told me these documents are classified as confidential and for that they will not send them.

I'm in the right to ask for these documents or ISO certification is enough?

Another thing, to control the OEM I established the procedure for dose mapping, the quartely control and the reports from the sterilization company? Is this enough?

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

planB

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,

I'm not a expert in sterilization process and for that, I have a doubt about the quality control of a sterilization subcontractor.

We are starting a OBL process and our OEM sterilizes the medical devices through a sterilization subcontractor. This company has the EN ISO 11137 certification (gamma sterilization).

I asked (directly to the sterilization company) for the instalation qualification (IQ) and operational qualification (OQ) and they told me these documents are classified as confidential and for that they will not send them.

I'm in the right to ask for these documents or ISO certification is enough?

Another thing, to control the OEM I established the procedure for dose mapping, the quartely control and the reports from the sterilization company? Is this enough?

Thanks in advance.
pfcustodio,

I guess your OEM has the contract containing the necessary controls of the sterilization process and you do not have a direct relationship with the sterilization subcontractor? If yes, you would technically have to go through your OEM to get access to the information you are longing for. rahter than approaching the sterilization contractor directly.

It is common practice that IQ and to some part also OQ documents are reviewed during supplier audits on site, and sterilization sub-contractors are used to be audited also in these areas.

For their certification, this should be readiliy available, at least through your OEM.

It is a good thing, that you defined a sterilization (validation) procedure for your OEM. Also make sure that your OEM has proper supplier controls in place, i.e. a well-defined contract with the sterilization sub-contractor, an audit plan which contains the audit requirements with which you are comfortable with (e.g. annual on-site visits), a documented process specification and all rationales that explain why certain thing are done in a certain way (e.g. definition of product families/processing groups, frequency of dose audits, ...)

HTH,

Gerhard

Hi planB (Gerhard),

thanks for your answer.

It's like you said, i do not have a direct contact with the sterilization subcontractor.

I hope i'm wrong but my OEM doesn't seem to have too much control in this process because i already asked for the internal quality control of the sterilization and just received the ISO certificate of the sterilization subcontractor. :frust:

With your guidance, i will push the OEM to provide more information.

planB

Trusted Information Resource
pfcustodio,

make sure you have your required controls defined in the contract with your OEM. Otherwise, it will become very tedious or impossible to relay your requirements.

Your contract with the OEM should also include provisions that allow you to audit your OEM. A supplier audit would be another possibility to verify that your OEM has proper sterilization controls in place.

Maybe you could even think of changing the supply chain in way that you turn the (currently indirect) sterilization contractor into your direct supplier, though I am not sure whether this would jeopardize your OEM supplier setup.

HTH,

Gerhard

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Sterilization Subcontractor of OEM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Scientific Operating Procedures For Sterilization Practices in India PSA/2012/1 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Judy Abbott Increase the maximum allowable dose for E-beam sterilization Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
H EO Sterilization Validation - Sterility Testing and Load Configuration Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Reprocessing, Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization Validation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
W EO sterilization and pallets Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
M Informational Device Shortages Update – The US FDA Announces Two New Innovation Challenges on Device Sterilization Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
W EO sterilization - what about the pallet? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Sterilization of a custom medical device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Informational US FDA – Device Shortages Update: Challenges to encourage the development of new approaches to device sterilization Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
xcanals_tecno-med.es Qualification of sterilization indicators as medical devices with the EU MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 7
G Pyrogen Test - Sterilization Validation - MDR 2017/745 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
S Sterilization Site Move - Dec 2018 FDA Guidance Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
E Gamma Sterilization Product Update Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Informational USFDA Ethylene Oxide Sterilization for Medical Devices website Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA Preps for Device Shortages as Another Sterilization Facility Will Close Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA Posts Information about Ethylene Oxide Sterilization and Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
H Frequency of shelf life/sterilization/bench studies conducted on a medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
T ISO 10993-7 - Ethylene oxide sterilization residues Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Contract Sterilization - Our company is a contract manufacturer Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
S Legal Manufacturer FDA Reporting Obligations for Using New Contract Sterilization Site Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F Irradiation Sterilization Validation Maximum Dose - VDmax 25 method (ISO 11137) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Ed Panek Sterilization vs Disinfection - Wearable bandages that report a health metric via Bluetooth CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
E Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation-Reference Load Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D FDA filing guidance to add sterilization step for approved drug Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
K Moist Heat Sterilization worldwide Requirements and Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
H Max and Min Load Determination for Steam Sterilization of Liquds EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Use of parts in gamma sterilization validation - Reprocessing implants EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Radiation Sterilization Dose Audit: Bioburden frequency Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
I EO sterilization out of specification and correction Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Ethylene Oxide Sterilization aeration Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Change of a medical device sterilization dose - New 510(k) necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Studies conducted on the amount of autoclave sterilization of a PEEK implant Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Certification in Sterilization for ISO 11135 and ISO 11137 Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
K Change of Sterilization Vendors / Facility US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
P DMF (Drug Master File) type V for Sterilization Processes for USFDA Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
R Sterilization Adoption - Design House - Adoption Letter from Contract Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Requirement for Sterilization Validation completion before issuance of ISO cert ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
A Is Aeration Process in ETO Sterilization Validation Required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D Gamma Sterilization of Coin Batteries (Primary Batteries) Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M Can the CE Mark Cert be used as Proof of Sterilization Conformity? Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
B Product definition for Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
K Re-validation of EtO sterilization after change of tape Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D What is your experience with FDA using "mixed load" i EO sterilization Other Medical Device Related Standards 1