SBS - The best value in QMS software

Sterilization Validation ISO 14937 - Sterilizer that uses EO gas diffusion

C

CCroft

First I just want to say Thanks, I have visited this site many times and have gained useful knowledge and ideas.

I am a RA/QA Mgr. for a very small company, we have purchased a sterilizer that uses EO gas but is also referred to as a non traditional method of EO sterilization. Some refer to the method as gas diffusion method. However there are many clauses of the traditional standards that do not apply. Thus, I was told to use ISO 14937 for validation.

Is anyone familar with the standard or who has extensive knowledge with sterilization validation using the other standards that can offer suggestions.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bwana.Jo

Would you brief information for non-traditional method ?
Gas diffusion method, I think it is traditional method.

Validation requirement which you shall complete before operation as a regulatory or certificate purpose, I think there is nothing different to differ methodology of 'Validation'.

1.Prospective / 2.Retrospective / 3.Concurrent / 4.Laboratory (Pilot) Scale Validation = Parametric Release

My view point is you have to select which type of validation technique will be used for your sterilization system, I think.

gdwaikle

Involved In Discussions
Please Elaborate on your posting

CCroft said:
First I just want to say Thanks, I have visited this site many times and have gained useful knowledge and ideas.

I am a RA/QA Mgr. for a very small company, we have purchased a sterilizer that uses EO gas but is also referred to as a non traditional method of EO sterilization. Some refer to the method as gas diffusion method. However there are many clauses of the traditional standards that do not apply. Thus, I was told to use ISO 14937 for validation.

Is anyone familar with the standard or who has extensive knowledge with sterilization validation using the other standards that can offer suggestions.

CCroft,

Please take a few minutes to elaborate on your above comments to enable us to understand a few things.
1. Regardless of how small your company is the sterilization requirements are the same. EO by itself is one of the traditional sterilization methods. So you need to explain who told you yours was non-traditional and why is it different?
2. I am including a link to the various standards that could and probably do apply. http://www.cenorm.be/newapproach/cen/stdlist.asp?dir_area=93/42/EEC&prod_fam=CEN/TC%20204

3. What are the products your company makes?

4. If you would like a recommendation for someone who is an expert in Sterilization please drop me an email and I will forward you his contact information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles Wathen

Involved - Posts
I have performed several profiles on our 3M Sterization chambers (even though I don't do this any more since I'm in management), but your first step is to develop a simple protocol. Ours consisted of loading the 3 baskets with dummy product boxes and placing temperature and humidity sensors with the dummy load.

In the past, this was a hassle to perform for several reasons. One is you have to deal with the ETO gas. The 3M chamber did not allow you to run with a used ETO canister. So I had to discuss this with their Engineering staff, and there is a way to bypass the chamber to allow us to use an empty ETO cartridge.

The next step were the sensors. We used Type T SLE thermocouples using a special plug that sealed the chamber, but allowed the TC's to enter the chamber. We also used one humidity sensor in the middle of the chamber. It's one of those self-contained type.

Today, we use Ellab (www.ellab.com) self contain sensors for both temperature and humidity. We place 10 sensors inside the chamber which monitors both temperature and humidity. The sensors are interchangeable, meaning you can use it for both temp and humidity by replacing the cap.

N

nickh - 2011

In the past I had EO sterilization validation tests done through Nelson Labs. They were a good testing facility to work with and very knowledgeable. In addition to performing the testing, they were helpful in explaining the various test methods and regulatory requirements. I'm not affiliated, by the way, but I am willing to put in a plug for any organization that does a good job.

There web site has a lot of useful info as well:
http://www.nelsonlabs.com/medical-device/sterilization-validation.jsp

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Irradiation Sterilization Validation Maximum Dose - VDmax 25 method (ISO 11137) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Requirement for Sterilization Validation completion before issuance of ISO cert ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C Validation of Sterilization Procedures - ISO 13485 Section 7.5.2.2 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P ETO Sterilization Validation Process and an NCR - ISO 13485:2003 CMDCAS audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Iso 11135:1994 - Validation and Control of Ethylene Oxide Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Sterilization Validation Plan Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
H EO Sterilization Validation - Sterility Testing and Load Configuration Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Reprocessing, Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization Validation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G Pyrogen Test - Sterilization Validation - MDR 2017/745 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
E Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation-Reference Load Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Q Use of parts in gamma sterilization validation - Reprocessing implants EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Is Aeration Process in ETO Sterilization Validation Required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
B Product definition for Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
K Re-validation of EtO sterilization after change of tape Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
B IPCD Sterility test failure during MPQ (EO sterilization validation) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sterilization Validation Procedure Needed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Sam Lazzara Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation question Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
L Regulatory Submittal During 3 Lot Sterilization Validation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Fractional cycle fail in Eto sterilization validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Steam Sterilization Validation per ANSI ST 79 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
suildur Sterilization Validation of a Unique Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Sterilization Validation Accreditation - A mandated standard requirement? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Re-validation of Out Sourced Medical Device Sterilization Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G Sterilization Re-Validation after Manufacturer Change Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 17
Y 3rd Party Sterilization Validation for Reusable Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
S Steam Sterilization Validation Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
T Missed Quarterly Dose Audit! Sterilization Validation of Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 15
L Sterilization validation for reusable medical device class II Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
E Design for Sterilization Companies - The design of sterilization validation programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
M Sterilization Validation request for 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
S Validation of Sterilization Expiry Date - Accelerated Aging, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Gamma Sterilization Validation Documents - 13485:2003 section 7.5.1.2.1 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
chris1price Sterilization using beta radiation Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A ISO 13485 Sterilization Clause Applicability ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Orthopedic Implants (Knee system) Sterilization Indicators Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
chris1price Contract Sterilization Service Providers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Scientific Operating Procedures For Sterilization Practices in India PSA/2012/1 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Judy Abbott Increase the maximum allowable dose for E-beam sterilization Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
W EO sterilization and pallets Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
M Informational Device Shortages Update – The US FDA Announces Two New Innovation Challenges on Device Sterilization Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
W EO sterilization - what about the pallet? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Sterilization of a custom medical device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Informational US FDA – Device Shortages Update: Challenges to encourage the development of new approaches to device sterilization Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0