Steve "Croc Hunter" Irwin dies from Stingray Barb in Heart

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was shocked to find out about Irwin's death. My middle daughter grew up with him and her love for animals, I attribute to him. There will never be another :(

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
I was shocked to find out about Irwin's death. My middle daughter grew up with him and her love for animals, I attribute to him. There will never be another :(
I liked his character, but he might have been a little complacent when it came down to the risks he took, but that was his character. I am sorry that this happend. I enjoyed his shows. :(

What do you think if he wouldn't of removed the Barb from his heart and went straight to the hospital, do you think it would have had any bearing?

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I had thought about that also? My wife told me that when my 7 year old (Andre') found out yesterday she started to cry. But you could tell he loved his work and was doing something he enjoyed when he died. BTW thanks for adding the Picture.

Yes, I enjoyed his shows too.

I can't say I'm shocked, though. I never thought he would die of old age, but this seems like a freak accident. Then again, ordinary people would probably stay away from a stingray. He was not ordinary, of course. To him it probably seemed like easy street, compared to the other animals he used to tangle with.

The world will be less lively without him
What do you think if he wouldn't of removed the Barb from his heart and went straight to the hospital, do you think it would have had any bearing?
Probably not. That (apparently very painful) poison had already gone straight into his heart = certain route to cardiac arrest.

/Claes

L

little__cee

Both of my girls cried. The oldest asked, "What about his wife and kids?" and I told her that they'll miss him and love him but life will have to go on for the ones he left behind.

The media has had this story absolutely EVERYWHERE - no way to avoid talking to my kids about this.

Steve McQuality

Quality Engineer
...If we could all be so passionate about the jobs we do...

I watched a tribute show to Steve Irwin last evening on CNN/Larry King Live. His Manager was on, Mr. John Stainton, who was with him and Philipe Cousteau when the incident happened. Quite an emotional show. In his tribute, everyone said he was off-camera the same as on - genuine, caring and passionate. He will be sorely missed by those of us who enjoyed him, and those animals unable to speak that benefited from his life's work.

If anyone is interested, I saw that memorial contributions could be made to Steve Irwin's wildlife conservation fund at http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/

He appeared to be a wonderful man, father and husband. "Sorry to see you leave us so soon Mr. Irwin..." :(

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
Respect to Steve for all he has done for raising awareness of environmental and wildlife issues, I hope somebody else can do the same, though he was a unique character, you could not help but love!

My thoughts are with his wife and children, who I am sure are missing him greatly.

Thanks Steve :thanx:

and one last time......CRIKEY MATE! :applause:

BradM

Staff member
Admin
I must admit I was cavalier about this when I first heard the news. He just seem to be to push the envelope a bit.

However, after being informed by my friends, my wife, and kids as to the Animal Planet show he did and how kids admired him, I had to rethink my stance. Too, no child deserves to lose a parent, and no dad should have to bury his son. I know; that's life. But, hopefully you know what I mean.

I keep hearing conflicting news regarding the stinger in/out, died instantly/later, etc. The news has been consistent, though, about not provoking the sting rays.

The odds of this happening to anybody are huge; do they go down a bit though, given the time he spends around wildlife?