Definition Stop Gap - Definition - What does "stop gap" mean?

D

Dvora

Could anyone give me a simple definition of the term - Stop Gap?

Thanks!

Dvora

A

andygr

Re: What does "stop gap" mean?

In the contex that I am used to it refers to the imediat action you take when there is a gap discovered between what is required to happen or be done and what is actualy occuring. Basicly what do you do imediatly to address the issue. Can be as simple as closer inspection of parts and sorting the good from the bad.
Your long term fix will be based on your root cause investigation.
:2cents:

Randy

Super Moderator

It normally means "short term fix with no guarantees", kinda like a finger in the hole of a dam to stop the leak.

D

Dvora

Hmmm, the definition I've been given is:

A temporary expediant to allow product to flow down the process, ensuring it will be checked at defined points

Does that make sense?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks!

Dvora

A stopgap or stop-gap measure is sometimes called an interim action when a problem has occurred. It may include immediate sorting, rework, or whatever is required to appease the Customer. This should not be the end of the problem-solving process. Root cause analysis an subsequent effective corrective action is required.

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator

Hmmm, the definition I've been given is:

A temporary expediant to allow product to flow down the process, ensuring it will be checked at defined points

Does that make sense?

It's the $5 version of what I said.

Essentially a "stop gap" plan is based upon "Hope".:lol:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Thanks!

Dvora
Colloquially, "stop gap" means a temporary measure until a more permanent solution can be devised and implemented. My earliest acquaintance with the term was explained by the "Dutch boy who put his finger in the dike to save the town from flooding - holding back the ocean until more permanent help could arrive."

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Colloquially, "stop gap" means a temporary measure until a more permanent solution can be devised and implemented. My earliest acquaintance with the term was explained by the "Dutch boy who put his finger in the dike to save the town from flooding - holding back the ocean until more permanent help could arrive."

:topic:

I had no idea about this story until I came to the USA....:D

Stijloor.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

:topic:

I had no idea about this story until I came to the USA....:D

Stijloor.
Just illustrates how old I really am - even my grammar school teachers were under the impression the story was based on an exaggerated tale of a real event - I didn't learn the truth until college (no instant knowledge via internet back then!) Same thing about the putative hero of the novel - Hans Brinker - We even had skating races in Chicago which were "Silver Skates" because our civic leaders were under the impression "Hans Brinker" was a retelling of an actual race, just "novelized" with the story of Hans and his sister.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Just illustrates how old I really am - even my grammar school teachers were under the impression the story was based on an exaggerated tale of a real event - I didn't learn the truth until college (no instant knowledge via internet back then!) Same thing about the putative hero of the novel - Hans Brinker - We even had skating races in Chicago which were "Silver Skates" because our civic leaders were under the impression "Hans Brinker" was a retelling of an actual race, just "novelized" with the story of Hans and his sister.

A great story nevertheless...had to reveal the truth a few times though...:)

Stijloor.

Top Bottom