Storage Cabinets for Quality Documentation (Procedures and Records)

L

Laura Halper

Hello all,
I have advised a small start-up device company that they should store quality documentation (procedures and records) in fire-and-water-proof cabinets. They are balking at the cost of the cabinets, which apparently run about $5,000 apiece (they need two at this time, more later.)

I believe that medical device manufacturers routinely use such cabinets. But have any of you had actual experience with the FDA either requiring such cabinets, or specifically saying that it's OK to store paper records in non-fire/water-proof cabinets? What about storing in binders in a book shelf?

I know that NOT using fire-and-water-proof cabinets is a risk. But my question is whether the FDA specifically requires (e.g., has given 483's or Warning Letters) such cabinets be used.

The company cannot afford an electronic system, although procedures are scanned and kept on computer. But the original hardcopy is the official version.

Thanks for your input.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Storage Cabinets

Hello all,
I have advised a small start-up device company that they should store quality documentation (procedures and records) in fire-and-water-proof cabinets. They are balking at the cost of the cabinets, which apparently run about $5,000 apiece (they need two at this time, more later.)

I believe that medical device manufacturers routinely use such cabinets. But have any of you had actual experience with the FDA either requiring such cabinets, or specifically saying that it's OK to store paper records in non-fire/water-proof cabinets? What about storing in binders in a book shelf?

I know that NOT using fire-and-water-proof cabinets is a risk. But my question is whether the FDA specifically requires (e.g., has given 483's or Warning Letters) such cabinets be used.

The company cannot afford an electronic system, although procedures are scanned and kept on computer. But the original hardcopy is the official version.

Thanks for your input.
Then:
For years, organizations kept backup hard copies offsite to guard against accidental destruction. When I first started doing it back in 1972, I invested in a small rubber stamp that said something like:
"Certified true copy of the original.

Date _______________________

Attest: _____________________"

and had it affixed, dated, and signed in red ink to copies we kept in an offsite storage facility.

Now:
It seems to me a computer, scanner, and cloud storage is a whole lot cheaper and simpler today than investing in fireproof cabinets and certainly a lot easier and simpler than what I did 40 years ago. Certainly, simple security measures are available to prevent alteration or loss of important documents.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Hello all,

Thanks for your input.
Most companies use an off-site storage facility such as Iron Mountain to store originals. As Wes mentioed a true copy can be kept on site. For a small company I would think such cabinets are overkill versus using an off-site storage facility.

L

Laura Halper

Thanks for your suggestions.

Wes, does scanning and then cloud-storing require validation to Part 11 with time stamped audit trails, etc?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Thanks for your suggestions.

Wes, does scanning and then cloud-storing require validation to Part 11 with time stamped audit trails, etc?
I'm not currently aware of such requirement for anything other than pharmaceuticals, and maybe with devices involving nuclear radiation.

At the point your client wishes to proceed, it would be well to request a guidance letter from FDA to confirm this. I am not prepared to state this backed up by formal citations and interpretations to FDA regulations unless retained as a consultant. I offer this merely as an anecdotal comment based on my memory.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Hard Copy Documents not in Fireproof Cabinets - Document Storage Questions... ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Are Fireproof Cabinets a Regulatory Requirement for record storage? FDA or EU Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 23
N How do you properly seal gauges for storage? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
D Recommendations for equipment used to validate cold storage units General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Medical device label storage conditions EU Medical Device Regulations 11
S IEC 60601-1-11 Requirements related to Storage and Distribution IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
C DV/PV Test Part Storage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Specimen storage medium for 866.2900 or 864.3250 Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
QMMike Mitutoyo Calipers w/ storage boxes Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 7
D Cold Storage Thermometers - Traceable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Outsourced storage Quality Agreement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K 25-year lifetime of medical device - document storage period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Question regarding "storage and distribution" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Medical device storage conditions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L How to determine / validate Medical Device Storage Conditions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Offsite storage of QMS documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Ambient temperature_how we claim storage condition in label? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Y Labeling difference for storage and operating conditions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Cleanroom Cleaning Products and Storage Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
S Medical device storage conditions Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
E OSHA - 1926.252(e) - Oily Rag Storage Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 22
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Sidney Vianna NASA to Develop a Novel Approach for All-Electric Aircraft Using Cryogenic Liquid Hydrogen as Energy Storage World News 2
T QMS - Documentation Cloud Storage EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K How to verify the Storage and Transport environmental condition for Medical Device Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
T 5ºC Storage Temperature Validation - Urology disposable devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Weigh Scale Electronics - Suggested Storage Humidity and Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Document Storage/Archival Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
shimonv Storage Conditions of 5-40 Celsius - Accelerated and real time aging - Dilemma EU Medical Device Regulations 3
O Storage of Calibrated Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
T Validation of Dropbox for File Sharing, Storage, and Retrieval ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M SOP or template for a study to Define Storage Conditions of Orthopaedic Implants EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Saudi Arabia - Temperature Storage Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
D Sterile Medical Device Temperature and Humidity (Storage) Labeling Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Supplier Approval of electronic document storage service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Y Process Characteristics for Inspection and Storage FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Medical Device Storage Temperature Tests and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 14
D Requirements for Storage of Food Allergen Ingredients Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T Sterile Medical Device Storage Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Hazardous material storage shed flooring material Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
R Digital Storage of ITAR Controlled Documentation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
L Intellectual Property Protection - Storage, Access, Distribution, etc ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B IEC 60601-2-24 - Defining Storage Volume IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B Determining the "storage volume" (ISO 8536-8:2004 clause 6.14) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A FDA guidance for MDDS, Medical Images Storage, Medical Image Communications 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
A Calibration/Verification of thermo-hygrometer in storage areas ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
W Micrometer Storage while not in use General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
shimonv Storage of finished medical devices per 21 CFR Part 820.150 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
A Cleaning of Medical Device Storage Areas ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1