Strange facts about states

L

little__cee

In Pennsylvania you are not allowed to buy/sell alcohol on Sundays. AND you can only buy wine and spirits in something called State Stores (run by the State of Pennsylvania" - beer is only sold through Beer Distributors.

We were talking about this over the weekend and I said that every state probably has some similiar weirdness, whether its alcohol related or not.

So please share - what's weird about YOUR state?

C

Craig H.

Georgia - no alcohol sales (at all) in most parts of the state on Sunday, and I believe there may even still be a few "dry" counties. Of course, every few years there is a still "busted" (literally as well as otherwise) in this area, so if you are thirsty enough....

Most of the stills I have seen are pretty disgusting, but there have been a few around that looked like they were put together by an engineer/scientist.

It is also illegal to shoot firearms on Sunday, but I have never heard of that being enforced. Some of the older folks do not believe in fishing, hunting, cutting grass, etc. on Sunday. Most of them are old farmers/farmer's wives who worked their tails off the rest of the week, so they had Sundays reserved as a well-earned day of rest (with biblical authority, no less).

Something that really differs depending on where you are is gun possession. If you took the average GA rural pickup truck and dumped it (with the driver) in New York or Chicago, what is acceptable here would get the owner of said pickup arrested in, well, a New York minute.

Is this weirdness really weird? No, I think things like this are what makes Georgia different from PA, NY, CA, and so on. Not better or worse, just different.

:agree1:

J

jaimezepeda

I have heard that In Memphis, TN it is illegal to blow your car's horn.

G

Graeme

Craig H. said:
Georgia -
Something that really differs depending on where you are is gun possession. If you took the average GA rural pickup truck and dumped it (with the driver) in New York or Chicago, what is acceptable here would get the owner of said pickup arrested in, well, a New York minute.
:agree1:
And then there is the small town northwest of Atlanta that has an ordinance requiring every head of household to own a firearm! It's supposed to be an anti-crime measure.

SOUTH CAROLINA
When I moved there (from Maryland) 26+ years ago the phrase "one for the road" really did mean that! There was no law prohibiting consumption of alcohol while driving, or prohibiting open containers in the passenger area of a vehicle. (That has definitely changed, though.) There were no alcohol sales on Sunday or in most restaurants, and bars/taverns were all "private clubs". (I saw what appears to be a similar situation in Utah last month.) Now, if a county rises above a set threshhold of hotel revenue (tourists, that is) they can hold an election for 24/7 alcohol sales.

COLORADO
The last time any family members lived there (25 years ago) Denver still had a city ordinance requiring horses to be tied to hitching posts. Of course, most of the city had not had any hitching posts - or horses - for a very long time ...

------------------
Graeme

Randy

Super Moderator
In West Virginia if a man and wife get divorced they are still allowed to be brother and sister. :jawdrop: :lmao:

Q

qualitytrec

In Michigan they allow citizens of Detroit to work for pay but usually said citizens just get paid and do not work. Union rules you know.

Mark

C

Charmed

Eating garlic in Indiana

Now, since Indiana is my neighboring state and Minnesota not too far away, here's some weird facts about these two states, # 16 and # 17 in the link below.

http://www.jpdavin.com/facts.html

16. In Minnesota it is illegal to cross state lines with a duck on your head.
17. In Indiana it is illegal to ride public transportation for at least 30 minutes after eating garlic.

Charmed :)

Sorry, folks from Indiana and Minnesota. May be you can find some more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
I'll chip in a bit on strange things....I am from FL, grew up in AL, live in CA, and have traveled over a good part of the country.

In Birmingham, it used to be, maybe still is, illegal to drive while blindfolded.

In Jasper, AL, it used to be legal to beat your wife with a stick, provided it was no thicker than your thumb....law was repealed a number of years ago.

In TX it used to be and likely still is legal to drive while drinking beer.

In Prescott, AZ, I know of a drive through archery supply and package store. Get your bow and arrows, and beer all at once.

In CA.....where to start?

As a Southerner, and knowing intelligent weapons laws.....and comparing them with CA.....

The LA city council at one point figured out they could not register firearms or owners, so they try to register the rounds. I'll let you guess about that quagmire.

Most cities in CA that have doggie parks also require you to clean up after doggie.....even in the doggie park. What am I missing here?

In Huntington Beach (the real life Surf City USA), there are Dachshund races. German dogs racing in the city known for surfing.

The LA basin area has likely more paved roads and larger freeways than anywhere in the country.....and some of the worst traffic congestion. Seems like an oxymoron.

Houses are sold before the ground is cleared. And PREMIUM prices are paid for them! An example, in Irvine, there is a development where the townhouses (NOT single family houses) are starting in the mid-6's.....for less than 1400 square feet.....and there is a waiting list to get them.

Just some observations here.

Hershal

Top Bottom