Strategic Planning and Quality Management System Integration

Falco

Inactive Registered Visitor
Hello everyone,
I am not quite sure if this forum is the best place to open this thread so if a moderator wishes to move please do so.

Our company is in process of strategic planning. Thats good. However we have had much difficulty in achieveing and maintaining compliance with ISO 9001-2000. We are certified but struggling.

My question is - What are the recommendations toward strategic planning and the quality management system? Should the QMS be part of strategic planning or strategic planning be part of the QMS? Kind of a which comes first the chicken or the egg question.

My take is, and guide me if I am off base, that the QMS criteria should serve as a guideline during strategic planning. Use it like a gap analysis to determine the next strategies.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Strategic Planning

Falco:

My organization applies strategic planning for the organization and it is tied into concepts such as the Balanced Scorecard and our Company Vision and Mission.

There are some items on our strategic plan that show a strong link towards focusing on our customer (e.g., Recognized as the supplier of choice, etc.).

From there, our sites have objectives and metrics that support the company's plan. This helps to show that we are all moving in the same direction.

To answer your question, our strategic plan is for the overall success of the company. From there, we filter down the QMS items to help set objectives, metrics, etc...we do the same for safety, environment, morale, and so on.

Strategic Planning?

Just study Toyota (or most any Japanese industry) from 1946 until the present (set aside the current financial issues)

Falco

Strategic Planning?

Just study Toyota (or most any Japanese industry) from 1946 until the present (set aside the current financial issues)
To get me started, were they generally pro strategic planning, against, or ?.

rmf180

Involved In Discussions

When ISO named ISO 9001, Quality Management System, they failed us all:mad:. The title should be Business Management System:bonk:. ISO 9001 is a guideline on how to run your business to ensure you are conforming to a minimum level. By being at that minimum level (or beyond), you provide your customers with a certain level of comfort.

In order to be a successful business, you must have a strategic plan. That strategic plan must support the vision and mission of the organization. The vision, mission and strategic plan must be supported by quality policy and objectives. In short, the strategic planning exercise is a part of the QMS.

One must avoid top management's desire to put the ISO requirements on QA and allow them to totally disengage. If top management is not driving the QMS, you should look for a new employer!

Falco

Thank you for the reply. The mission I am on is just as you have responded. Sounds funny but may just be the title to my book - Taking "Quality" Out of The Quality Managment System. And I think this is what Randy has suggested as well. The example you mentioned is exactly wha is happening, the business management is being dropped in the lap of QA while top management works on the assembly line and fights fires.

My opportunity lies in the reversal of that behavior. That's what I do. I think for the most part our leaders are opening up to the idea but years of culture are hard to change.

When ISO named ISO 9001, Quality Management System, they failed us all:mad:. The title should be Business Management System:bonk:. ISO 9001 is a guideline on how to run your business to ensure you are conforming to a minimum level. By being at that minimum level (or beyond), you provide your customers with a certain level of comfort.

In order to be a successful business, you must have a strategic plan. That strategic plan must support the vision and mission of the organization. The vision, mission and strategic plan must be supported by quality policy and objectives. In short, the strategic planning exercise is a part of the QMS.

One must avoid top management's desire to put the ISO requirements on QA and allow them to totally disengage. If top management is not driving the QMS, you should look for a new employer!

Falco

So, if I am reading the responses correctly so far your responses confirm my belief. It is important that strategic planning become part of the overall business management system.

wmarhel

Quite Involved in Discussions

To get me started, were they generally pro strategic planning, against, or ?.
Very "pro". Depending the level at which the planning would occur, it might span several decades. As a case in point, Toyota had as part of their strategic plan that they would become #1 in the auto industry. Of course, it happened sooner than they intended and this has probably spurred as much questioning as if they didn't achieve their goal by the target date. Another key difference with Toyota versus many other organizations, is once they had a plan, they followed through with a vengeance.

Strategic planning needs to be all encompassing for an organization, and it needs to be reviewed periodically in order to make course corrections as changes in the environment, marketplace or technology occurs.

Wayne

Falco

I like your comment regarding following through. That is another challenge for us. We tend to weather vane a bunch. Maybe our goal is set too close in time. Good thoughts indeed this morning. Just what I needed to get the brain in gear on a Monday.

We just went through our strategic planning excercise. This time we brought in a facilitator which really enabled us to break new ground. My job now is to keep us working together through the use of our "business" management system.

It seems that every time we face a challenge we ditch the plan and run in various directions.

Top Bottom