Struggling with Process and Sub-Process Validation - Brain Catheter

A

ago70

Hello my first post here in the vrey helpfull forum.

Here is my concern/problem.

I read a lot about process verification and validation. Understood the differences and requirements. But I am struggling with follwoing " Validation bla bla ... that a specific process will consistently produce a product meeting its pre-determined specifications and quality characteristics."

Am I right when I look at the pre-determined specification, then it will be very easy.

e.g. brain catheter:
should be free particles --> clean room conditions validation
should be free of infective ´substances --> Sterilization process validation

this is clear, but should I look also to subprocesses like a cleaning process of the catheter tube within the clean room. e.g. catheter has to be cleaned in a special solvent, if solvent is used you can verify it by change of the color, but if solvent is used to long the catheter migtht not accepted at the end test (100 % testing).
Should this subprocess be validated? If yes with which argumanetation.

Looking forward for an answer.

Kind regards,
Andreas

:notme:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
A quick "Bump". My Thanks in advance if anyone can help with this one.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hello my first post here in the vrey helpfull forum.

Here is my concern/problem.

I read a lot about process verification and validation. Understood the differences and requirements. But I am struggling with follwoing " Validation bla bla ... that a specific process will consistently produce a product meeting its pre-determined specifications and quality characteristics."

Am I right when I look at the pre-determined specification, then it will be very easy.

e.g. brain catheter:
should be free particles --> clean room conditions validation
should be free of infective ´substances --> Sterilization process validation

this is clear, but should I look also to subprocesses like a cleaning process of the catheter tube within the clean room. e.g. catheter has to be cleaned in a special solvent, if solvent is used you can verify it by change of the color, but if solvent is used to long the catheter migtht not accepted at the end test (100 % testing).
Should this subprocess be validated? If yes with which argumanetation.

Looking forward for an answer.

Kind regards,
Andreas

:notme:

Hello and welcome to the cove :bigwave:

You must validate processes where the outcome can't be reliably and economically verified on the process's product (e.g. when you would need a 100% destructive test).

If you have a process with 100% inspection (that was established as being reliable), and you're happy with it from an operations / business perspective, then most likely you don't have to validate it.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Quality Planning process map - Struggling to define all the inputs and outputs Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 17
B Struggling with using the 5.6 version Ford Capacity Analysis Report APQP and PPAP 5
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
Proud Liberal Struggling w/ GR&R on ID Spline Runout Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
T Struggling with ISO 13485:2016 Clause 6.2 - Level of Risk Associated with Work ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I Struggling with Training and Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Struggling with definition of Initial Importer and First Title 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 11
M A newbie to RM struggling with the policy ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
S Are you struggling with your IEC 60601-1 3rd edition testing lab? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 16
K Struggling with the Gap Analysis Documentation for IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L Struggling with Writing Effective Root Cause Statements Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 13
M ASME NQA-1-1994 Standards - Struggling with the supplement references Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
C Struggling to teach a co-worker how to read dial calipers, any advice? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
K Repetitive Nonconformance (Struggling with Corrective Action Tools) - Need Help! Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
K Struggling with keeping part-time internal auditors in our program Internal Auditing 15
H Still Struggling.... Control chart practice problems for the CQT Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H Verification Process for the existing MDS Product IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
C Revalidation of Process Equipment for Equipment Transfered to New Facility. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Process map Evaluation and Analysis Method Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S In process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Brexit 100% inspection during in process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
A Complaint review as part of the complaint handling process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
mustomutlu Process Validation Final Report Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Q Process Matrix_Audit Matrix Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
Q Process description for outsourced processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Process matrix examples of ISO 9001 & 14001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A When someone refuses to follow a process.... Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 27
E Software maintenance Process Software maintenance Process to IEC 6204? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
R AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 f - "Implement a returns process....." AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
normhowe "The Problem with Quality Management: Process orientation, controllability and zero-defect processes as modern myths" Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
Judy Abbott General temperature used in the blasting process and laser process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B SOP for CNC turret punching machine for sheet metal process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
A API Monogram audit review process Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Process mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
R MDEL Process Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
optomist1 Rates Daily or Hourly Process Improvement Training Consultants and Consulting 2
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
B Toyota PPAP Process - Three Questions APQP and PPAP 3
R Changes vs CMO - How can we simplify this process? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Ethics Committee Review Process for IVD Products EU Medical Device Regulations 2
V Laser Welding Process - Impact on Electrical Properties Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
Q Process: Knowledge Section 7.1.6 of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
L Documented Information in Internal Audits Process (9.2) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Sampling plan for in-process QC (medical devices) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
rerusk1 MRB (Material Review Board) Process using MS Sharepoint or MS Teams Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Clinical Benefit of device that only aids in a process for managing or treating disease EU Medical Device Regulations 2