[Student] Documented Process vs Documented Procedure

M

medhm

Hello,
I'm a senior mechanical engineer and I'm preparing my end-of study project entitled "preparing the migration to the new new standard IATF 16949".
Can someone please explain to me why we are now using documented process instead of documented procedure and what is the main cause of this change.
Thank you for your help :)

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
My experience is very limited, but based on my observations, it is because sometimes procedure was prepared in a manner which did not support process approach management.
Departmentalisation, focus on presentation of duties/responsibilities only, not respecting chronological character of performed activities - these were some of faults of procedure.

M

medhm

Thank you Sebastian, I think because a process is more dynamic than a procedure. There are KPIs to control and a process pilot to manage.

Last edited by a moderator:

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Hello,
I'm a senior mechanical engineer and I'm preparing my end-of study project entitled "preparing the migration to the new new standard IATF 16949".
Can someone please explain to me why we are now using documented process instead of documented procedure and what is the main cause of this change.
Thank you for your help :)

I believe that the difference is in perception, and the intent is pretty much the same. Let's look at the definitions in ISO 9000:2015, which is the standard used to interpret IATF 16949.

The definition of procedure is "specified way to carry out an activity or a process."

The definition of process is "set of interrelated or interacting activities that use inputs to deliver an intended result"

So if you substitute the definitions for the words, you would end up with:

Documented Procedure
"Documented specified way to carry out an activity or a set of interrelated or interacting activities that use inputs to deliver an intended result."

vs

Documented Process
"Documented set of interrelated or interacting activities that use inputs to deliver an intended result"

About the only difference I see is that a documented process would be a higher level document including a "set" of interrelated activities, while a documented procedure would also include lower level documents which cover individual activities, such as work instructions, etc.

:2cents:

M

Mas18

some of required documented processes are strange. And I don't understad why it is called " documented process"

Process should have :process owners, input output, resources, methoods and Performance indicators... How to set up it as separete process.

- The organization shall have a documented process for managing calibration/verification records. - I would understand to have documented process for equipment management (calibration records are just outputs - not separate process.)
- The organization shall document the process that manages the use of alternate control methods - what KPI?
- The organization shall have a documented process for rework confirmation in accordance with the control plan or other relevant documented information to verify compliance to original specifications. - documented process just for rework confirmation? its just a part of bigger rework management process.

How did You documented required "documented processes"? What KPI set up?

LaidBackGeorge

Registered
Mas18,

1st cove post here!

I've been spending a lot of time working on documented processes. My organization has opted to address these requirements with a series of turtle diagrams. Turtle diagrams are great because they identify inputs and outputs, risks, and serve as documented information. IMO the difference between a procedure and a process is that a process should follow PDCA. This will also help provide objective evidence that your company is following the automotive process approach.

That being said, I agree the examples you shared are tricky. Maybe the following will work for you?

-Calibration/Verification - Measures - % of Records on Hand / % of Records up to Date
-Alt Control Methods - This one is worded differently from all of the others. I'm going to update our APQP process to cover this and see how it goes
-Rework. I'll have to brainstorm on this one and get back to you.

Please note I have not yet been audited, but from the trainings I've attended I feel this is a strong approach.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom