% STUDY VARIATION VS. % TOLERANCE

abichou

Starting to get Involved
Hi everyone,

So i'm trying a new product with a tolerance from other products ,because we still don't know the tolerance for this new product.

Exactly we want to see if our measurement system which is used for other products is capable of measuring this new Product or no.

After performing the MSA i got a% Study Variation of 2.81% and a % Tolerance of 18.26% as you can see the difference is high what does it mean?

Any help would be appereciated, Thank you in advance.

I will add also i got a number of distinct categories of 50 and a number of distinct categories of 0.08.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Hi everyone,

So i'm trying a new product with a tolerance from other products ,because we still don't know the tolerance for this new product.

Exactly we want to see if our measurement system which is used for other products is capable of measuring this new Product or no.

After performing the MSA i got a% Study Variation of 2.81% and a % Tolerance of 18.26% as you can see the difference is high what does it mean?

Any help would be appereciated, Thank you in advance.

I will add also i got a number of distinct categories of 50 and a number of distinct categories of 0.08.
This means that your part variation is very wide compared to the tolerance. Either your process is not capable, or the parts do not represent the actual process variation.

abichou

Starting to get Involved
This means that your part variation is very wide compared to the tolerance. Either your process is not capable, or the parts do not represent the actual process variation.
So what should i do in this case go with higher tolerance or reduce the variation between the samples?

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Your biggest variation is part-to-part, with sample outside control limit. This suggests your tolerance is not wide enough.

I would look at 30 samples, measured one time each, and evaluate CPK for current specification. What does the specification need to become in order to make the CPK > 1.66? Can your application tolerate that variation?

abichou

Starting to get Involved
Your biggest variation is part-to-part, with sample outside control limit. This suggests your tolerance is not wide enough.

I would look at 30 samples, measured one time each, and evaluate CPK for current specification. What does the specification need to become in order to make the CPK > 1.66? Can your application tolerate that variation?
So you are saying that the main problem is coming from the tolerance right.
One more thing like i said as a new product that has no specified tolerance can i ignore the P/T value and only present the gage R&R value which is perfect 2.81.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
You really can't do a GRR without tolerance. The gauge you use must be capable of measuring to the tolerance band specified. For argument's sake, assume you have a mechanical part with one inch nominal: depending on tolerance, you may select to measure with ruler, caliper, vision system, or micrometer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M Tolerance vs. Study Variation - Choosing the right one Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Y Gage R&R - Calculating by Specification Tolerance vs. Study Variation - Differences Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
Q What does % study variation of 20% mean in GRR? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
S Variation Study on Mined Material - What do you call it (not a control chart) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
J Calculating part variation from historic data for GRR study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Process Control - Selecting Parts - NDC & Study Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Weighing Balance Accuracy for Plastic Moulded Parts variation study Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Bev D Probability question - Components of Variation study on a single use diagnostic test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M 30% Max Study Variation Criterion - Where Cited? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Reducing Within Part Variation during a Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 26
B Can the Variation on Data be too small in a Variables Data Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Small Variation in Thickness Measurements in Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 23
B Study Variation and Discrimination Ratio in Gage R&R ANOVA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
C Measurement BIAS Study - No Measurement Variation Unacceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Gage R&R Study has Revealed No "Part to Part Variation" - My mistake? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R Gage R&R Study - Within Job Variation (Ovality, Taper) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S % of Contribution or % of Study Variation? Gage R&R using Minitab Using Minitab Software 26
B How to get a sample that covers Process Variation for GRR (Gage R&R) study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
S Gage R&R study Equipment Variation (EV) is high - Seeking Help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Gagetrak software: 6 sigma process variation reqd for Linearity Study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
P Type of MSA study according to measurement equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Using real time shelf life study as accelerated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Gage R&R study - Ordinal data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
F Using non-randomized clinical study for change in existing 510(k) device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E Which regulatory framework for an app-based study for research purposes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Registry study in Europe CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
P 21 CFR 58 GLP Periodic Study Phase Inspection Report Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Aymaneh Clinical study CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Equivalency study - Comparing 2 similar equipments Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Early feasibility study V&V requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
D Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Devices Exam - Autumn 2022 study Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
M RAPS RAC Device - Looking for resources / prep materials & study group Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
V MSA - Using a R&R study for a Tape Measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
P Brexit Germany - Import Medical Device For Clinical Study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Miner Reported content: Post in thread 'Form of real time study for establish shelf time' Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Form of real time study for establish shelf time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
S Capability Study for Leak Tester Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
A IATF MSA study Type 1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Type 1 Gage r study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Mistakes in the CQE Study Guide Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Nihls MSA Study Type 2 (special conditions ) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D What are the acceptance criteria/requirements for Stability Study? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S 95% UCL - Attaching an excel for recovery study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
Nihls MSA Study Type 1 (CMM) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Low risk IVD study in the UK, do I need MHRA approval? UK Medical Device Regulations 1
M MSA Study Type 1 not capable. We are at the limit. And manufacturing wants to continue producing. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
cnbrosa Study Type 1 on a CMM using a measuring support Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4