Stupid Company Tricks 101

B

BRoyal

Stupid Company Tricks

In an attempt to boost morale after a year that saw stock prices fall from $48 to less than $9, and staff reductions from 4,200 to a little under 2,000, and with rumors of at least 800 more layoffs in mid-April, the management of my company decided to hold random drawings to pass out such gifts as:

$25 gift certificate to a local grocery store;
boom boxes purchased three years ago for a failed promotions effort (possible warranty issues here); and
a few $200 gift certificates to Wal-Mart.

The results were interesting.

Several of the "winners" were laid off in January and, thus, no longer work for the company.

One of the winners died a couple of months ago.

No word yet on how they intend to handle this, but I will keep you posted.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I look at it as a way to learn what to watch out for... And as a way of highlighting some 'failure modes'.

The problem with Dilbert cartoons is... Well, there isn't one as far as I can tell. If anything they highlight many realities we have become desensitized to in real life.

Several of my favourites are:

<center>
Consult_2.gif

and

Telephone.gif

and, having worked many contract jobs, there is this...

Contractor.gif
</center>

E

energy

Re: Stupid Company Tricks

BRoyal,

Can't seem to win one today!:eek: Is your post, as indicated by the title, a condemnation (of sorts) of your company's attempt to try a stupid trick on it's employees, or just a comical look at company stupidity? Then we can go from there.:ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Well, energy, I guess if you're going to dissect everything there's a 'logical' reason for everything. I didn't think this was started as a serious thread per se. Maybe I was wrong.

So get on with it. Logically explain the cartoons above and then you can start on the 101 examples of business stupidity in the link above.

E

energy

Dilbert is easy

Originally posted by Marc
Well, energy, I guess if you're going to dissect everything there's a 'logical' reason for everything. I didn't think this was started as a serious thread per se. Maybe I was wrong.
So get on with it. Logically explain the cartoons above and then you can start on the 101 examples of business stupidity in the link above.
Rather than interpret Dilbert, because they are funny, I just want to attempt to explain why I thought BRoyal was sending a different message.
Unlike the link that shows 101 Stupid Business Moments, I read “Tricks” to mean that the company, in offering these tremendous prizes, was committing a deliberate act of deception, a ploy, a ruse, a hoax, a swindle, a trap, a scam, a joke and/or a fake. (compliments of Thesaurus). While some of the 101 Business Stupidest moments may have been initiated because of deception, like Enron, most were just plain stupid.
I also got the impression that what this company did wasn’t viewed as funny, as much as deliberate.

The choices of prizes, viewed by themselves as objects of scorn or ridicule, re-enforced my interpretation that the company was viewed as something other than comical. Of course, I may be absolutely off target. Wouldn’t be the first time. If I got it wrong, I apologize to BRoyal for my poor sense of humor. It's weird because it's usually my sense of humor that tends to get me in doo doo. :vfunny:

:ko: :smokin:

B

Bruce Epstein

Stupid Letterman Tricks

For the sake of readers outside North America (and North Americans who live in caves), there is a late-night TV host named David Letterman who used to (maybe still does? It's been a while since I've seen him) do a sketch called "Stupid Pet Tricks". Note that "trick" in this case is one of the meanings NOT in the afore-mentioned thesaurus.

At least that's what I thought of when I saw the title of the original posting...

:thedeal:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wes Bucey Does your company do something this stupid? World News 86
Scott Catron Stupid Password Tricks Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 41
R Do you agree with "There are no stupid questions" statement? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 40
T Taking Multiple Certifications within 2 weeks - Crazy, Stupid or Wise Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
J Calibration and Customer 'Requirements' - Something Stupid Beyond Belief General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 40
SteelMaiden Stupid Criminal Tricks Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Cal 133 flammability standard - Medical Devices - Stupid Customer Tricks 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Howard Lee No Stupid Questions!!!! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 53
G Acronym KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
G Using ASCII Codes - Split from "Stupid criminal of the week" thread After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
G Stupid criminal of the week Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 17
R Stupid Responses to CARs - Long Term Corrections or Root Causes Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 47
Marc Stupid Security Winners Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
A Stupid Question of the Day - Start at section 4 or section 5? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Malcolm Baldrige Company Dashboard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Leveraging another company's ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R MDEL and company affiliate Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
M Address change for a company with CE/ISO13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 5
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
qualprod Corona virus Contingency plan - What have you done in your company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Q Company Ownership Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
D ISO9001 for one man company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Client Communication - SaaMD company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
E Company A supplies pharmaceuticals to the MOI - Who is responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7