Subcontractor Audit - How to audit a subcontractor

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
:(
Had a problem, my MR give me some task on how I am gonna audit a subcontractor. :confused: I haven't audit yet :eek:. Can somebody give me some tips or hints how I would conduct a supplier audit? Is it the same with Internal Quality Audit? What is their difference? :confused:

:bigwave:

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Raffy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
There is an excellent supplier evaluation form in the Members and Premium directories. Disk file name is Supplier_Audit_Form.xls

You fill in the blanks and all the calculations are done for you. It's a nice spreadsheet.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Most that I have seen are set up like internal audits. However, make sure you add to it. Ask yourself and your team what am I expecting from this subcontractor and are they able to deliver. Then develop your questions to find out if they can. Several people should be involved in the development of these questions(eg.accounting,purchasing,quality,engineering,etc.).

Last edited:

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Ask yourself and your team what am I expecting from this subcontractor and are they able to deliver
This is the most important part of the preperation and you must be prepared very well to save you and your company embarrasment.
I focus on several aspects:
Contract and pre contract review is vital, this is a stage that has a direct impact on you. Do they really check the feasability of what they are quoting, do they really understand the demands.
Process audit, follow the process do not waste time looking for documents without signatures, some one else does this. What is important is the "spirit of the supplier" from your point of view.
Here is an example of a supplier audit plan:
8.30 - Opening meeting, presentation of Supplier and customer.
9.00-9.30 Short tour of plant.
9.30-10.00 RFQ and Contract review including treatment of orders of production approved parts.
10.00-11.00 APQP, FMEA and PPAP.
11.00-11.30 Continual Improvement, Customer satisfaction,
11.30-12.30 Purchasing, supplier evaluation and development.
Lunch
13.30-15.30 Audit of process from reception of materials to shipment.
15.30-16.30 Measurement, Gauge R&R, comparison of measuring abilities.
16.30-17.00 Organisation of findings.
17.00-17.30 Closing meeting.

This enables you to cover all the aspects that are really important to you.

D

druester

Re: Subcontractor Audit - How I am gonna audit a subcontractor?

Mark: How do I get to the Members and Premium directories? I would like to take a look at the Supplier Evaluation sheet you recommended. Thank You!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Tips, Guidelines and Checklist to conduct Audit of Supplier & Subcontractor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A EN/AS 9100 - Subcontractor audit and auditor requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Subcontractor Development Requirements and Audit QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
D Subcontractor Evaluation - Require onsite visit after the initial audit? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
P Sterilization Subcontractor of OEM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J What are a Taiwanese Medical device subcontractor's legal responsibilities with Taiwan regulations? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Subcontractor site in EC certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M TS16949 Control regulation with business partner(Subcontractor) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Sterilization Subcontractor - Quality Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O NADCAP AC 7108 - Subcontractor Laboratory Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Product not in the Registration Scope of a Critical Subcontractor/Supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
T Subcontractor Model to Shelter Model - How to include in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Aviation Parts Design Subcontractor Assessments - Example forms, etc. wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Developing Documentation and Defining Processes as Subcontractor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Subcontractor Requirements when a Customer Chooses the Subcontractor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Subcontractor Agreement for Engineering Services Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
N Auditing a Software Code Subcontractor (Supplier) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M What determines a Critical Subcontractor? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
T Packaging Subcontractor Certification - Class I and Class II Medical Devices Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Medical Device Subcontractor Significant Change EU Medical Device Regulations 9
T Control of Medical Device Software Subcontractor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Is a subcontractor required to be ISO 13485 certified? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 27
I Taiwan Medical Device Product Approval Process using a Subcontractor Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
T Opportunity to become senior 'Subcontractor Quality Management' Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 13
Z Subcontractor Assessment - Change control process Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
L Label placed on medical device by subcontractor based outside USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Justifying Subcontractor (with no QMS) Service - Class 1 Medical Instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
T Process Instructions via BOM for Subcontractor? (PCB Population) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Medical Devices Manufacturing Cleanroom Protocol and Subcontractor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R TS Certification Scope - Semiconductor subcontractor providing assembly and testing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
G Risk Analysis for a Subcontractor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Subcontractor in terms of CAN/CAS 13485:2003 CMDCAS vs. DIN EN ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Semiconductor Subcontractor Quality System Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
M TS16949 section 7.0 Product Realization - Subcontractor with no Design responsibility Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Supplier Development - Cited for 'no evidence of subcontractor development' Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
Q Outsourcing & the Control Plan (Ours and the Subcontractor's) - Links, etc. APQP and PPAP 10
T Seeking: Subcontractor Satisfaction questionnaire - Construction Industry Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Supplier/Subcontractor Survey Questionnaire Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
D Subcontractor Development - What is Minimum Required? Clause 4.6.2.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 13
R Subcontractor Development - 4.6.2.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
A Subcontractor (Supplier) SPC Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
S New Subcontractor Plant Registration QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
A Who is compliant to the new subcontractor development guidelines? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 16
D Requirements for Supplier and Subcontractor Certification - July 2002 - Sanctions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Q Supplier and Subcontractor Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
Q Level of PPAP submission for Subcontractor APQP and PPAP 3
A QS-9000 Clause 4.6.2.1 and Interpretation C9 - Subcontractor Development QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 41
A ISO 9001 at Subcontractor end ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3