Subcontractor Development Requirements and Audit

A

Andrews

Subcontractor development

Can we restrict the implementation of clause C9 of sanctioned interpretation dated July 1,2001 to raw material subcontractors, heat treatment subcontractors, plating subcontractors and subcontractors who provide finished product to us ONLY and exclude those subcontractors who supply semi-finished product to us.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Andrews

Subcontractor development audit

In the supply chain given below,
C supplies to B,
B supplies to A,
A supplies to Big Three,

where C is my subcontractor
B is my organization and
A , my customer
Then can I consider myself the OEM for my subcontractor? And will an audit conducted by me as per latest ISO9000 version meet the requirement of C9 of sanctioned interpretation dated July 1,2001.If not, what is the definition for OEM with regard to QS9000?

T

tomvehoski

By the definition of subcontractor in QS-9000 (Glossary page 133), a subcontractor is defined as "providers of production material, or production or service parts, directly to a supplier to Chrysler, Ford, General Motors or other customers subscribing to this document. Also included are provides of heat treating, painting, plating or other finishing services."

I'm not sure what your semi-finished product is, but my feeling is that since it becomes product it would fall under the requirement. Regardless of the C9 intrepretation, when determining which suppliers need to be qualified, I ask the question - "If the supplier sends in bad product or is late on a delivery, will it affect my finished product or its delivery?". If the answer is yes, the supplier needs to be qualified in some way.

T

tomvehoski

OEM = GM, Ford or DC

C9 also states "accredited certification body", which I interpret to be RAB.

Tom

Andrews, you may have a point worth consideration by the QS9000 sanctioned interpretations group.

Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) is not just DC/Ford/GM. Refer to page 79 of the QSR for others. I can find no definition of who is and who is not an OEM in the QSR or the interpretations.

WE design, manufacture and sell automotive accessory products to the general public, and we also sell the same product to DC/Ford/GM; all within the guidelines of QS9000.
And we are also the OEM.

T

tomvehoski

I just received an update report from NSF-ISR addressing the new requirements. This is the first "official" registrar stance I have seen. This is from the July 1, 2001 issue - Volume 1, Issue 2.

"QS-9000 registered clients must required 3rd party certification of all labs, material, and service suppliers. If QS certified companies do not have a plan to use certified suppliers in 18 months, it is a minor non-conformance. The plan must include prioritzation, tracking, contingencies if suppliers do not plan to be certified, and timing for suppliers not already certified. This is a minimum requirement and does not preclude subcontractor development beyond 3rd party certification for suppliers of materials and services that affect critical characteristics."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Are You Meeting Subcontractor (Supplier) Development Requirements? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
D Complying with TS 16949 and QS-9000 Supplier (Subcontractor) Development Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 43
B Supplier Development - Cited for 'no evidence of subcontractor development' Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Subcontractor Development - What is Minimum Required? Clause 4.6.2.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 13
R Subcontractor Development - 4.6.2.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
A Who is compliant to the new subcontractor development guidelines? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 16
A QS-9000 Clause 4.6.2.1 and Interpretation C9 - Subcontractor Development QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 41
J Approved Supplier List and Subcontractor Development Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
J TE Subcontractor Development QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
L RE: 4.6.2.1 Subcontractor Development - T/E QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
A ISO 9001 Clause 4.6.2 - Subcontractor (Supplier) Development Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 48
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
P Sterilization Subcontractor of OEM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J What are a Taiwanese Medical device subcontractor's legal responsibilities with Taiwan regulations? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Subcontractor site in EC certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M TS16949 Control regulation with business partner(Subcontractor) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Sterilization Subcontractor - Quality Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O NADCAP AC 7108 - Subcontractor Laboratory Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Product not in the Registration Scope of a Critical Subcontractor/Supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
F Tips, Guidelines and Checklist to conduct Audit of Supplier & Subcontractor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
T Subcontractor Model to Shelter Model - How to include in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Aviation Parts Design Subcontractor Assessments - Example forms, etc. wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Developing Documentation and Defining Processes as Subcontractor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Subcontractor Requirements when a Customer Chooses the Subcontractor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Subcontractor Agreement for Engineering Services Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
N Auditing a Software Code Subcontractor (Supplier) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M What determines a Critical Subcontractor? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
T Packaging Subcontractor Certification - Class I and Class II Medical Devices Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Medical Device Subcontractor Significant Change EU Medical Device Regulations 9
T Control of Medical Device Software Subcontractor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Is a subcontractor required to be ISO 13485 certified? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 27
I Taiwan Medical Device Product Approval Process using a Subcontractor Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
T Opportunity to become senior 'Subcontractor Quality Management' Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 13
Z Subcontractor Assessment - Change control process Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
A EN/AS 9100 - Subcontractor audit and auditor requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L Label placed on medical device by subcontractor based outside USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Justifying Subcontractor (with no QMS) Service - Class 1 Medical Instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
T Process Instructions via BOM for Subcontractor? (PCB Population) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Medical Devices Manufacturing Cleanroom Protocol and Subcontractor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R TS Certification Scope - Semiconductor subcontractor providing assembly and testing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
G Risk Analysis for a Subcontractor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Subcontractor in terms of CAN/CAS 13485:2003 CMDCAS vs. DIN EN ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Semiconductor Subcontractor Quality System Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
M TS16949 section 7.0 Product Realization - Subcontractor with no Design responsibility Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
Q Outsourcing & the Control Plan (Ours and the Subcontractor's) - Links, etc. APQP and PPAP 10
T Seeking: Subcontractor Satisfaction questionnaire - Construction Industry Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Supplier/Subcontractor Survey Questionnaire Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A Subcontractor (Supplier) SPC Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
S New Subcontractor Plant Registration QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3