Subcontractor Qualification and Evaluation

A

Aaron Lupo

I have a question. The company I work for currently defines a Critical Item as- Material, service or equipment essential to the quality of testing and/or production which may be purchased from only one subcontractor.

We then go on to say that we audit all our Critical Suppliers that are not ISO Certified. Now they way I read that definition to me states that they are only critical if they are they only one in the world that makes it, which in our case would eliminate 90% of our suppliers.

My question is how does everyone else out there differante between Critical, Major and Minor? How do you determine what suppliers you will audit? I have some ideas but would like to see how others are doing it for more ideas.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

eskay

Supplier Evaluation

ISOGUY,

We audit our suppliers only during the first time when we add them to our Approved Vendors database. Thereafter, we monitor their performance through various criteria (e.g. delivery time, quality of products, etc.). If they fail to meet our requirements, the same will be logged. Suppliers we fail often, are audited again to ascertain their conformance to stay on our approved vendor database.

As for the critical, major & minor - I feel it really depends on what sort of material you are buying from that supplier. If it is a raw material which is going to decide the quality of your final product, I would rate it as 'critical'. Any other item which is used to test the quality of your final product, can be classified as 'major'. I can't elaborate this how we do it in our organisation, as we are in service industry.

Hope I have answered your queries.

Eskay

H

HFowler

ISOGUY,

You may choose to single source some items because the tool-up cost for multiple suppliers would not be cost effective. Some companies break their materials down based on lead time, cost or the detrimental effect not having the product could have on shipments, etc. Some companies will classify materials a "A Class, B Class and C Class comodities to differentiate the type of controls they have over certain suppliers.

In one company I worked for, if we chose to single source a material to a supplier that was not "ISO Certified", and not having this product on time would have a significant effect on shipments to our customers, then we would physically audit this supplier.

Hope this helps,
Hank

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Qualification of Subcontractor QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
P Sterilization Subcontractor of OEM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J What are a Taiwanese Medical device subcontractor's legal responsibilities with Taiwan regulations? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Subcontractor site in EC certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M TS16949 Control regulation with business partner(Subcontractor) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Sterilization Subcontractor - Quality Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O NADCAP AC 7108 - Subcontractor Laboratory Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Product not in the Registration Scope of a Critical Subcontractor/Supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
F Tips, Guidelines and Checklist to conduct Audit of Supplier & Subcontractor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
T Subcontractor Model to Shelter Model - How to include in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Aviation Parts Design Subcontractor Assessments - Example forms, etc. wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Developing Documentation and Defining Processes as Subcontractor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Subcontractor Requirements when a Customer Chooses the Subcontractor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Subcontractor Agreement for Engineering Services Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
N Auditing a Software Code Subcontractor (Supplier) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M What determines a Critical Subcontractor? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
T Packaging Subcontractor Certification - Class I and Class II Medical Devices Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Medical Device Subcontractor Significant Change EU Medical Device Regulations 9
T Control of Medical Device Software Subcontractor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Is a subcontractor required to be ISO 13485 certified? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 27
I Taiwan Medical Device Product Approval Process using a Subcontractor Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
T Opportunity to become senior 'Subcontractor Quality Management' Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 13
Z Subcontractor Assessment - Change control process Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
A EN/AS 9100 - Subcontractor audit and auditor requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L Label placed on medical device by subcontractor based outside USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Justifying Subcontractor (with no QMS) Service - Class 1 Medical Instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
T Process Instructions via BOM for Subcontractor? (PCB Population) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Medical Devices Manufacturing Cleanroom Protocol and Subcontractor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R TS Certification Scope - Semiconductor subcontractor providing assembly and testing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
G Risk Analysis for a Subcontractor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Subcontractor in terms of CAN/CAS 13485:2003 CMDCAS vs. DIN EN ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Semiconductor Subcontractor Quality System Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
M TS16949 section 7.0 Product Realization - Subcontractor with no Design responsibility Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Supplier Development - Cited for 'no evidence of subcontractor development' Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
Q Outsourcing & the Control Plan (Ours and the Subcontractor's) - Links, etc. APQP and PPAP 10
T Seeking: Subcontractor Satisfaction questionnaire - Construction Industry Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Supplier/Subcontractor Survey Questionnaire Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
D Subcontractor Development - What is Minimum Required? Clause 4.6.2.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 13
R Subcontractor Development - 4.6.2.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
A Subcontractor (Supplier) SPC Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
S New Subcontractor Plant Registration QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
A Who is compliant to the new subcontractor development guidelines? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 16
D Requirements for Supplier and Subcontractor Certification - July 2002 - Sanctions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Q Supplier and Subcontractor Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
Q Level of PPAP submission for Subcontractor APQP and PPAP 3
A QS-9000 Clause 4.6.2.1 and Interpretation C9 - Subcontractor Development QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 41
A ISO 9001 at Subcontractor end ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Are You Meeting Subcontractor (Supplier) Development Requirements? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10