Subcontractors Providing Services Under MDD or MDR need ISO 13485 from EU Notified Body?

We are the legal manufacturer of a Class IIa medical device with a CE Mark under MDD. My notified body account representative just told me that subcontractors providing services under MDD or MDR have to have an ISO 13485 Certificate from a Notified Body listed on Nando. One of subcontractors is certified by an accredited firm (Intertek Testing Services NA Ltd) but because this firm is not listed on NANDO it is not acceptable? My understanding is that subcontractors should have an ISO 13485 certificate and if critical, could be subject to unnannounced audits. Has anyone else run into this issue before? Am I missing something? Is this actually a requirement?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Never ran into that issue. I believe their rationale is because there are other requirements concerning the QMS that the MDR has. And an accredited firm is just checking the ISO 13485 requirements and not the other ones. But having those other requirements set in a quality agreement and if needed your own audits to ensure they are covered shouldn't it suffice? Interested in having other people's opinions on this.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Compliance to a standard is NEVER a requirement. Always the best path, but they can't make it a requirement.

If the subs are certified then that helps; however, it must be through an accredited body. Certification from a non-accredited body is held in no regard when it comes to your NB assessing you.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
We are the legal manufacturer of a Class IIa medical device with a CE Mark under MDD. My notified body account representative just told me that subcontractors providing services under MDD or MDR have to have an ISO 13485 Certificate from a Notified Body listed on Nando. One of subcontractors is certified by an accredited firm (Intertek Testing Services NA Ltd) but because this firm is not listed on NANDO it is not acceptable? My understanding is that subcontractors should have an ISO 13485 certificate and if critical, could be subject to unnannounced audits. Has anyone else run into this issue before? Am I missing something? Is this actually a requirement?
Regulatory creep!

Neither the MDD nor the MDR require ISO 13485 certification, let alone from a NB (in or outside NANDO)! The wording and intent are much more subtle than that, when it comes to suppliers / subcontractors. The important bit is to understand what actual requirements apply, and meet them - no more and no less.

The "Critical" terminology is as clear as mud, so don't go there unless you have to.

I've already seen NBs behaving like bullies, under MDD and now under MDR - they simply have so much power (I'd like to think "unintended power") in the current settings that they are free to enforce whatever comes to their mind and manufacturers often have no practical option but to submit to any whim.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Critical subcontractors & crucial suppliers EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Do Software Subcontractors need to be ISO13485 compliant in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K HIPAA - Subcontractors and suppliers Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C Flowing Requirement(s) down to Subcontractors Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
P Outsourced Manufacturing - Making Subcontractors comply with TL9000 TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 2
I List of Significant Subcontractors EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Auditing a Medical Device Subcontractors QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T External production/subcontractors of Medical Device outside USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q ISO 14001 and Control of Subcontractors - Small engineering company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
A Which Subcontractors or Facilities need to be listed on a Quality System Certificate? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Re-Arrangement Cost, Quality Cost, Start-Up Costs, Hourly C&B and Subcontractors Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Supplier Quality System Development - Control by supplier over subcontractors Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
L Identifying product to subcontractors - Our identifying papers or labels "disappear" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F Who pays for DVP? Subcontractors or Tier 1 Supplier? APQP and PPAP 1
A Performance rating of subcontractors QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
A Change management - process, tooling, subcontractors etc. QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D What exactly is needed on the subcontractor list for evaluating subcontractors QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
D Receiving Inspection by Subcontractors? Heat Treat Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Marc Registrar Interpretations: ISO9000 requirements for Subcontractors and Distributors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
W External PSU Providing a MOOP -- Will This Necessitate Conducted Emissions Testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Extent of 2017/745: providing 3rd party mass produced devices to NHS patients EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna ISO/TS 17033:2019 Providing confidence in Ethical Claims Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Providing IFU (Instructions for Use) in multiple languages EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M IATF 16949 - 8.5.6.1.1 Providing a list of process controls: Does this requirement add value to QMS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Specifications Aerospace - Who is responsible for providing the correct specification(s) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
O ISO 9001:2015 4.4.1 - Providing Evidence of QMS Processes "Shalls" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Does anyone have experience providing a summary of Pre-IDE discussions in the 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Providing accompanying Medical Device Accessories CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
K Providing Confidence that Quality Requirements will be Fulfilled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S What are the next steps after providing response to FDA 483 ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
Ajit Basrur New Guidance - Providing Regulatory Submissions in Electronic Format US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Help on providing Pesticide Details US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B Providing a potential Customer with a Sample Medical Device in Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
T Providing Instructions for Use (IFU) vs. 'Help' pages 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
armani Example of Design (Clause 7.3) for Organizations providing Transport Service ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
bio_subbu FDA releases draft guidance on Providing Regulatory Submissions in Electronic Format Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B Calibration Requirements in Organizations Providing Engineering Services General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M AS9100 Rev C - Determining, Providing and Maintaining" Infrastructure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Providing Evidence of Compliance to MIL-I-45208A and ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Scope Clarification for company providing NDT service ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O Simple process for providing Serial/Lot Numbering for our product Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
V ESD testers and providing calibration service - 7.6.3.2 External Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Delayed PPAP - Supplier has delayed providing PPAP for 2 years APQP and PPAP 25
R TS Certification Scope - Semiconductor subcontractor providing assembly and testing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Steve Prevette Business Model for Providing Statistical Services Service Industry Specific Topics 5
M Where is (waldo) the customer? Providing consultancy for a "Marketing Company" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T Providing A2LA w/ Proficiency Test results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5