Subgroup Size in Minitab for Capability Study

C

Carmine

When filing the blank Subgroup size in minitab, I have to write or a costant or a ID Colomun. If i give a costant it means that the Subgroup is costant if i give a coloumn for example a clolumn tha contains date of production of some units it means that the Subgroup size can vary. Is that right?

I am saying that because I have to assess a capability study on many units produces in different days and in each day a different number of units had been produced.

So in assessing a capabability study the subgroup size can vary, am I right?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Subgroup Size in Minitab when assesing Capability Study

When filing the blank Subgroup size in minitab, I have to write or a costant or a ID Colomun. If i give a costant it means that the Subgroup is costant if i give a coloumn for example a clolumn tha contains date of production of some units it means that the Subgroup size can vary. Is that right?

I am saying that because I have to assess a capability study on many units produces in different days and in each day a different number of units had been produced.

In most cases, subgroup size and frequency of sampling should remain constant regardless of the number of units produced. Are you doing rational subgrouping? Have you verified that your process is statistically stable?

C

Carmine

Re: Subgroup Size in Minitab when assesing Capability Study

This is a launch of a new product so one day we pruduce 15 unites another day 20 depends on what the customer want.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

From the technical perspective, Minitab will allow you to enter a column containing a subgroup identifier (such as a date) into the subgroup size field and will calculate the appropriate within subgroup variation.

However, the ability to do something does not mean that you should do that. This is what Jim is getting at through his questions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Understanding Subgroup Size - Multi Cavity (Minitab) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S How is Cpk /Ppk value calculated in Minitab since I have subgroup size of 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
P Capability Analysis in Minitab - Subgroup size Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
I Can subgroup size change daily? (X-bar & R) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
S Sample Subgroup Size for NP/P chart - nPbar>=5 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
P Determination of Subgroup Size for P Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
G How to calculate Subgroup Size for Machine Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B SQCPack SPC Software Subgroup Size to Small Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Subgroup Size - Understanding what is meant by Subgroup Size Six Sigma 13
C Looking for d2* table with parameter m (subgroup size) > 20 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
S PPAP - Production Run Quantities, Number of Subgroups and Subgroup Size APQP and PPAP 2
P Xbar-R Chart better than Xbar-S Chart when the subgroup size is small - Why? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
I Cp Calculation - Subgroup size greater than 25 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
Y SPC Daily Monitoring and Subgroup Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
B Choosing number of subgroups and subgroup size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Subgroup Size for Control Limit Calculations - SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Manix Initial Capability study on N50 parts - Subgroup Size? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Two batches - Is the subgroup 4 or 2? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
H Control limits for varying subgroup sizes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
K Estimation Sigma (Within) when subgroup n=1 (MiniTab) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
S Ppk & Cpk - Within Subgroup Variation is always smaller than Total Variation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
G What may be the best way to determine if single point in subgroup is out of control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
U P Charts - Subgroup Sizes? Process Control Indicator Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Q Design of Experiments Using Subgroup Data - Conducting a 2^3 factorial DoE Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
B Rational Subgroup and Estimation of Variability Due to Common Causes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
C Is it possible to get Pp,Ppk more than the within subgroup (Cp,Cpk's) indices? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
B How to apply a Rational Subgroup Plan to Various Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Help on Rational Subgrouping: How to Subgroup Data given... Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
P U-chart regarding defect count - The operator as subgroup? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D How are the d2 values for subgroup sizes derived? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Minimum sample size - Guidance and statistical rationale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
P Unrealistic Packaging Validation Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
S Is there a standard for sample size during R&D phase Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Sample size definition in an Automotive SMT pilot lot run Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E Correct way to certify hydrostatic testing when it is not 100% (and Sample Size) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
B Determining sample size for device sterility Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification' AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
F Bayes Success run Theorem for sample size during OQ&PQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M UDI size on packaging EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Device modifications - Clinical sample size rationale EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Sample size for creating a data base as a reference to a tested variable Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Sample Size for Design Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C AS9138 Sample Size Determination AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Marc Definition RFS - Regardless of Feature Size (GD&T) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
John Predmore What size pinhole can be reliably detected using visual inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7