Subject: 7.4.1 - Scope of "Product" and "Supplier"

D

David McGan

Sorry for this long post, but I've been grappling with the following topic, have reviewed the current QS interpretation of 4.6.2.1, asked my registrar for their intrepretation, and have studied closely the wording of ISO9001:2000 7.4.1, plus the additions of the "IATF Final Draft July 26."

With that background, here is my specific question:

What is the scope of the definition of "Purchased Product?" Specifically, is a die casting tool a "purchased product" under 7.4.1, and is the tool vendor who makes the die a "supplier" under that section?

Bear with me; it will look like I'm going into "LaLa Land," but hear me out.

7.4.1 states: "The type and extent of control applied to the supplier and the purchased product shall be dependent upon the effect of the purchased product on subsequent product realization or the final product."

This statement MIGHT be interpreted to suggest that the "product" referred to is ONLY raw material or components which are used to "realize" the final product, or suppliers of "services" such as inspection, sorting, rework that are "applied" to the product. (Note 1 in the Final Draft states: "Purchased products above includes all products and services that affect customer requirements such as sub-assembly, sequencing, sorting, rework and calibration services." It doesn't mention tooling at this point.

An interpretation that might be made is that a die cast tool is actually no different that the press in which the tool is installed; they both are involved in creating the initial "product" but neither are a PART of the "product." Therefore, suppliers of die cast dies or presses, etc. are not included in the rquirements of 7.4.1 related to "suppliers."

If that is the case, then my tool suppliers are not required to be "third party registered to ISO 9001:2002..." (7.4.1.2). But yes, they must be working toward the "goal of supplier compliance to this Technical Specification."

The above "innovative" interpretation is somewhat supported by my registrar's contention that the current IASG Interpretation (C9) for QS9000 does not apply to our subcontractors who build die casting dies. In other words, such subcontractors do not have to be registered by the end of this year. And I really don't see that much difference between the ISO 9000:2000 wording and the wording of the current interpretation.

Anybody had any good sense of direction here?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Purchased Product

David,

Just a quick question:

Does the "purchased material" (a die cast tool) have any impact on "subsequent product realization or the final product"?

I think it has a dramatic impact. “Product realization” is how we move our products from concept to reality. Your tool fits, IMNSHO

D

David McGan

There's no argument at all about the tool having an impact on product realization. I'm just trying to rationalize the Note 1 (in which the "such as" only seems to mention which "go with" the final product or are used to quantify/qualify the final product.

That, coupled with my registrar's current interpretation ... which of course can change, too.

O
R&R

can any one tell me , How can I met the 4.11 Inspection , measuring and test equipment especialy 4.11.1.2 in or where can I get this information

O
R&R

Can any one tell me , How can I met the 4.11 Inspection , measuring and test equipment especialy 4.11.1.2 ,

A

Al Dyer

I would ask you for some additional information concerning the last question.

Do you have the AIAG MSA manual?
Are you performing R&R, bias, linearity, and stability?

Is this related in any way to your previous question?:)

O
R&R

Dear Al dear
No Im not doing R&R rigth now but i will do it , and I need some Info to get it done bias, linearity, and stability,
And I don´t have the MSA I will get it the next week to read it

Originally posted by Al Dyer
I would ask you for some additional information concerning the last question.

Do you have the AIAG MSA manual?
Are you performing R&R, bias, linearity, and stability?

Is this related in any way to your previous question?:)
:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
M Informational USFDA Final Rule – Human Subject Protection; Acceptance of Data From Clinical Investigations for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
WEAVER Can automatic machine testers be subject to GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Treatment system data analysis - Subject to CFR part 11? Entire system? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
S Subject Matter Expert Training for Auditors Internal Auditing 13
M Is an R&D company subject to FDA regulation when licensing and not manufacturing? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
J Subject Matter Expert/Trainer Qualification Form Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
V Language is not a barrier if you know the "thing/subject" and "art of communicating" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
S Should there be a SME (Subject Matter Expert) for each element? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J ISO 9001 and Six Sigma - What is your take on this subject? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Are IVD Distributors subject to "Qualification" under our Quality System? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I Subsidiary also subject to TS16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
ScottK Are printed paper products subject to REACH and RoHS? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
B Handling 'Subject Matter Experts' (SMEs) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Is firmware or embedded software subject to the same standards as software? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
T Am I subject to FDA regulations in Europe? Sales/service branch of an organization US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Presentation on Subject: Potatoes (QSR interested in the potato market) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
F What is Constrains k (dimension subject to law provision) - Characteristic on print? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Antonio Vieira Self training! External training about a subject that you already dominate Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
J Information on the subject of ISO / TS 16949 in the electronic form IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Process Statistical Design - Is there any way to handle this subject? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
K Customer Specific Requirements - Which ones are subject to 3rd party audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Looking for subject matter for thesis about TQM, ISO9000, TS19649 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
apestate Recommended Reading List - Research and reading on the subject of quality Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
R Samples for marketing purposes - Subject to Contract Review? Contract Review Process 4
S Are risks in supply chain and development activities within scope of MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O MDSAP Reduction in Scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
K Restricted Scope of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C IATF 16949 - Scope or not? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Similar scope medical products connected by WIFI US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
qualprod To raise a NC beyond the audit scope? Two signatures were missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M ISO 27001 ISMS scope for companies with subsidiaries IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R Scope of ISO 13485 certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Scope of Facility - Our auditor asked us last week for our "Scope of the Facility" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
L Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Dropping ISO 9001 limits the scope of the ISO 13485 audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6