SBS - The best value in QMS software

Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device

I'm with a medical device manufacturer and we have several 510(k) cleared implants comprised of titanium. At the time that the 510(k) was submitted, we either did not discuss MR compatibility or went with the FDA's canned verbiage (this device has not been evaluated...). We have now conducted the testing and would like to incorporate the MR Conditional parameters into the IFU, which I can't do until I submit to the FDA. Special 510(k) guidance clearly says that this type of change requires a Traditional 510(k), but is it really necessary to complete an entire submission? Can I just say NA for every section except the MR compatibility section since no changes are made to the cleared device or do I really need to re-qualify all attributes of the device? Any experience with this type of submission is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I think that N/A-ing most sections of a traditional is a risk.
If nothing else has changed, you can simply resubmit the same content from your past submission(s), and just update the relevant sections. You can (and probably should) state in your cover letter which parts have/haven't changed, to alert the reviewer.

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
I would go with the suggested approach as well. When we submitted a Special (there were more changes than 1), our reviewer reminded us that in the first submission we had submitted some additional documents (change of personnel and lack of information at the company) and that we need to resubmit them as well, even if there was no change.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
supadrai Possible to Submit a 510(k) if you have never, do not and cannot produce the device for which you're submitting the application? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J Brazil - Submitting Technical Files Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
V Submitting Supplier Information in Customer PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
J Does anyone have experience in submitting TSE Dossiers to EDQM? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
V GM Lab Packages - Submitting Lab Packages to Lear for Material Laboratory Approval APQP and PPAP 3
W FDA Preapproval Inspection - Submitting a 505b2 for a combination product to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
V Is there a form I can use to explain what I'm submitting PPAP for? APQP and PPAP 9
R FDA Inspections - Questions from a Device Manufacturer Submitting 510k Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
C Will NRTL want to see Clinical Evidence when submitting for IEC EN 60601-1 3'rd ed.? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Help with Submitting Part Layout Dimensionals - My first ever PPAP (to GM) APQP and PPAP 5
W Submitting a 510(k)-the cuff individually or the system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Submitting a "Preliminary PFD Definition" Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
T Material Change - New 10993 Testing and Submitting a New 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
E Submitting a letter of resignation and calling it quits Career and Occupation Discussions 11
T STEDs - Experience submitting STEDs for low / medium risk devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Submitting the Checking Aids on the PPAP's APQP and PPAP 5
A What regulations must a distributor follow when submitting PPAPs? APQP and PPAP 1
G 1st Articles / Initial Sample Submissions - Requirements for submitting PPAPs Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
R Compatibility studies for Combination Products - Europe Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R Compatibility studies - combination product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Medical Device MRI Compatibility EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Compatibility between MDD and MDR devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Electromagnetic Compatibility Test IEC 60601-1-2: 2014 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
E IEC 60601-1-2 compliance for accessories - Electromagnetic compatibility of the ME system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Testing an equipment for MRI Compatibility Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
K Class II Medical Device Compatibility Issue - Removal or Market withdrawal? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
F EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Conformity Charts - IFU Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
K Interpretation of IEC 60601-1-2 Electromagnetic Compatibility – Requirements & tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
C Compatibility of a Class II exempted accessory with a Class III device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Plastic Compatibility tests with the contact of mucous membranes Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
B Titanium Implants MR (Magnetic Resonance) Compatibility Labeling US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R How to deal with the RM requirement of clause 17 Electromagnetic Compatibility? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
B Should EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Testing be performed In-House CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
J EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Requirements - IEC 60601 3rd edition Clause 17 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Quality Assurance procedures for EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Compliance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
J ISO 10993 (Biological Compatibility) Approved Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 23
Y MRI Compatibility - Electrical Device with a Video Display Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Compatibility and Analogues Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Materials Compatibility in ISO 8185:2007 - Respiratory Tract Humidifiers IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R Electrosurgery Emission Compatibility - Patient monitoring equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
somashekar Material Compatibility - PVC (halogenated polymers) and Santoprene (TPE) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Definition What does cultural compatibility mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
S Construction Projects - Client & contractor - System compatibility issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
kedarg6500 "Cultural compatibility" EFQM excellence model Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
4 Design help needed - Isoflurane compatibility with polymers - Anesthesia gas Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
S ISO14001 and TS16949 "Compatibility" vs. Audit Day Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Customer Complaint & SCAR, false data Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
Brizilla Employee Data Privacy Policy - ISO 9001:2015 requirement(s)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Safety data sheets software REACH and RoHS Conversations 2