Submitting the Checking Aids on the PPAP's

E

Eduardo - 2003

Does some one has any idea how to submitt the checking aids on the PPAP's? as I understood on the QS 9000 Manual there are required to check the content of the control plan to find the applicable part specific checking aids such as holders, fixtures etc. that are to be used to hold the part while measuring the parts. is this applicable for the Calipers, Manometers, Optical Comparators, etc?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

My understanding is that checking aids are visual standards and would not have much to do with physical measurements.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
IMHO we are talking about specific gauges to check adimension on line, go/ no go gauges etc. A drawing of the gauge should be enougth. Standard measuring equipment is not included.

Eduardo, checking aids are those gages that are specific to the characteristic being inspected,i.e., the characteristic cannot be verified with out a specialy designed fixture,gage or template.
Also see 1.2.2.18 of the PPAP manual "If requested by the customer . . . . "
In my experience with Ford their primary concern were those checking aids that they paid for; however that may vary with different STA's.

A

A. Stuart Dyer

Possibly consider a checking aid as a mylar template that is placed over a product to ensure conformity. A checking aid does not have to be something that measures down to microns.

In one instance we were putting down a bead of glue on a part and could not test it without damaging it with usual instruments. At that point we contracted to get a mylar template that we could cover with a non-stick surface that we could use for inspection purposes.

We ordered 4 of these "checking aids", kept 3 and sent one to the customer so we both knew we were checking the part in the same manner.

Worked like a charm.

Al...

C

Chemlab

Checking Aids

Recently I had a corrective action for parallelism. When checked on three points in one direction, it was well within specification. However, the customer was rotating the part 180 degrees on the 3 pts. The concave nature of the blanked steel part caused us to believe we were making a good part, but when turned in the other direction it was out of spec. I am told this is called the crowning effect due to rotation about the x-axis. From this point on we either ask for datum targets to be added to the drawing for new programs, or if the customer engineers just don't get around to addressing the APQP concerns, I include the checking fixture on the PSW with a copy of the drawing in the PPAP and reference the fixture on the layout. Of course the customer still could argue that the parallelism still must be in spec no matter the orientation off the datum surface. But at least it was on the PSW that showed how we were measuring the part and that they gave approval. It is in your interest to provide this information for fixturing and gaging if you have experienced a lot of problems with your zealous SQA who questionably rejects product. To be honest, freshman, smartass SQAs who believe the customer is always right no matter how stupid he/she is, will approve the PPAP and not know why you are providing this information beyond the fact that it is a blank space on the warrant
and that you are complying with their demands. I had this customer complain to me over dinner about a fellow SQA co-worker because he asked for so many documents beyond the PPAP requirements, held up PPAPs for misspellings, and jokingly said that suppliers offered 10% price reductions just to get rid of him. He has since signed many beautiful PPAPs in which every effort was made to accomodate his desire for information.

Chemlab

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
J Brazil - Submitting Technical Files Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
V Submitting Supplier Information in Customer PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
J Does anyone have experience in submitting TSE Dossiers to EDQM? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
V GM Lab Packages - Submitting Lab Packages to Lear for Material Laboratory Approval APQP and PPAP 3
W FDA Preapproval Inspection - Submitting a 505b2 for a combination product to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
V Is there a form I can use to explain what I'm submitting PPAP for? APQP and PPAP 9
R FDA Inspections - Questions from a Device Manufacturer Submitting 510k Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
C Will NRTL want to see Clinical Evidence when submitting for IEC EN 60601-1 3'rd ed.? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Help with Submitting Part Layout Dimensionals - My first ever PPAP (to GM) APQP and PPAP 5
W Submitting a 510(k)-the cuff individually or the system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Submitting a "Preliminary PFD Definition" Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
T Material Change - New 10993 Testing and Submitting a New 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
E Submitting a letter of resignation and calling it quits Career and Occupation Discussions 11
T STEDs - Experience submitting STEDs for low / medium risk devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A What regulations must a distributor follow when submitting PPAPs? APQP and PPAP 1
G 1st Articles / Initial Sample Submissions - Requirements for submitting PPAPs Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
R Through-Hole Electronics - Checking Lead Length Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
B Design of fixture checking including Position of hole and slot General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Checking status of Medical device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
O Clamps in checking fixtures used to drive datum features. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
KyloDen Checking Threads - Discrepancy in threads that are machined In-House vs. Outsourced General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
P Checking flatness with Go and No Go Jig Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Checking Fixture for Stamping Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F Checking Gages In and Out and Verifying Calibration Status Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
R Weight Sets for Checking Table Balances Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
E Methods in Measuring Angles or Checking Angles for tools? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
E PPAP Checking aids, what to do exactly? APQP and PPAP 5
N Survey about Attribute Gage and Sight Checking R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
V Checking for Oversize Hole - Dimensioning question APQP and PPAP 7
J Micro Tubing Concentricity Checking using Crosshairs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
F Checking runout in reference to 2 datums Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
F Besides using the CMM - Checking perpendicularity between a plane and an OD Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L GD&T Bonus Tolerance - Checking True Position of a Pierced Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Checking True Position with Pin Gage Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
D Checking my organization's current Quality Policy Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
J Checking Variance/Normality of my two Samples (question) Using Minitab Software 2
F Calibration Reports for Wood Checking Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
K Verification, Validation or Checking? Definition of the word "Checked" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Z Error of 30 microns checking a Ring Gauge on a CMM Machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
D Laser Micrometer for checking Thickness of Steel - Any Recommendations or Comments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K True Position Checking such as Bolt Hole Position w.r.t Center Bore on Wheels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
A Can we reduce documents checking percentage on supplier certificates? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J Checking the Theoretical Sharp of a Flush Head Bolt on an Optical Comparator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Inspection Equipment for Checking Serrated Steel Tubing Depths Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Checking Rib Thickness on a Part and Necessary Process Controls Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Checking the Homogeneity of the Variance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Ajit Basrur Checking in on Saturn - Good pictures ! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T AQL Difference in Checking LCD Pins AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4