Subscription Service to Raw Material Specifications

N

natecsss

My company just went through a Gap Analysis Audit to see how close we were to transitioning to AS9100 from ISO 9001. Most of the issues and findings we have met and corrected but one of the things we had to add dealt with receiving inspection.

Our auditor asked us to verify raw material certs to make sure the chemical (elements) composition of the material matched the desired spec. I want to know if any of you have experience with a web site or service where we can find ASTM, AMS and other material specs. We don't mind paying but obviously we don't want to break the bank either. Thank you in advance for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I find the industry stuff to be relatively expensive for small users. Your best bet may be to get the spec. from the supplier. Or You could try matweb.com. Good luck.

N

natecsss

Thank you for the help. We found MatWeb but weren't sure what kind of source that would be to us and wanted to know if we should reach further. We will also ask the suppliers too.

suffelde

Involved In Discussions
We go to the particular origin of the spec i.e www.sae.org or www.astm.org on a periodic basis to verify the latest revision of the specification. Purchase it as necessary. We also keep an eye on the specs that are in the review stage so we can make sure we don't miss the latest rev. This keeps costs down by not having to purchase services for which we have no use. In our case, we have about 50 of these specs that we use on a regular basis - about a third of them are AMS specs. Of course, we maintain an external document matrix. Keep in mind that some Purchase Orders might list a spec that is not the latest revision. In that case, verify with the customer the rev of the spec to be used, and then certify to the requirements of that rev.

How many times have we seen - even today - MIL STD 45662A?

N

natecsss

Thanks Dave. You answered my next question on where to find specs. If I understand correctly, we should buy the specs as needed and hold onto them, then check the lastest revision each time to make sure we have the right thing.

suffelde

Involved In Discussions
That's what we do and it works pretty well. You can use verification of the specifications and standards in the contract review process. However, if you have a gazillion specs to follow, it might be better to get the service. Good luck.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
My company just went through a Gap Analysis Audit to see how close we were to transitioning to AS9100 from ISO 9001. Most of the issues and findings we have met and corrected but one of the things we had to add dealt with receiving inspection.

Our auditor asked us to verify raw material certs to make sure the chemical (elements) composition of the material matched the desired spec. I want to know if any of you have experience with a web site or service where we can find ASTM, AMS and other material specs. We don't mind paying but obviously we don't want to break the bank either. Thank you in advance for your help.
Most customer and some supplier will share the information with you - if you have developed a good relationship with them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Standards Subscription Service and Standards Tracking Service Pros and Cons? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Ajit Basrur FDA Launches Email Alert Subscription Service US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
apestate Standards Subscription Service ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P Specification Subscription Services - Eg: Things like MSDS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Best quality / regulatory magazine subscription? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 11
P Standards Subscription - Online web site that provides AMS, NAS, SAE etc, standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
E Qualification for non gmp service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
I Equipment service dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Design & Development of a SERVICE Service Industry Specific Topics 13
N Evaluation of service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
samarth IVD manufacturer and service provider ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Service record requirements for Non-Serviceable Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Quality at Logistical Service Provider Service Industry Specific Topics 0
J NHS exemption - Benefits versus expectations in UK NHS service EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational From RAPS – Prep for Brexit: UK Seeks £25M Freight Service to Deliver Medicines, Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
W Customer Signature / Acceptance Service Reports Service Industry Specific Topics 2
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
Ed Panek Ideas to keep quotes for consulting service accurate on not inflated Consultants and Consulting 11
M Informational New Notified Body designated under the MDR – TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH Zertifizierstellen Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Transportation - External Service Provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S Product registration platforms - A service called Licensale by Arazy Group Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
Kuldeep Singh How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A AS9100 D Counterfeit Prevention Program - We just service parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
W AS9120B 8.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A ITSM (IT Service Management) Ticket Audit Template Service Industry Specific Topics 0
P REACH - BOMcheck.net - What I can expect from this service? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
N Possibly worlds first customer service complaint Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
D KPI's Data for Customer Service AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
shrutisancheti EU User manual / operator manual / service manual guidance document(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Medical Device, Warranty Influences Expected Service Life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
Q GDPR consulting service for Medical device Company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Service provider for Medical Devices Repair & Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Service Industry - Scope of the QMS & Scope of Certification Service Industry Specific Topics 13
S What is the difference between a service request and a complaint? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2