Suggestion System - Do's & Don'ts as well as Rewards System

M

mehmetke

How to establish a suggestion system? What are DOs and DONTs? Should there be a difference between western & eastern company approach including rewarding? How to make it lasting?

No theories, experiences only...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

lego55

Re: Suggestion system

How to establish a suggestion system? What are DOs and DONTs? Should there be a difference between western & eastern company approach including rewarding? How to make it lasting?

Mehmetke,

Suggestion systems or boxes are difficult at best. Historically, employees do not trust them nor the system behind them. My triumphs have come from diligently tracking every suggestion, giving immediate feedback to the employee on when we reviewed it and when they will hear about it.

I made sure...
1) everyone was trained on how it worked (procedure, review board, etc.)
2) employees were constantly kept in the communication loop
3) managers were expected to keep an open mind about suggestions (no making fun of them, etc.)
4) the little suggestions were implemented, not just the big ones (helped keep the program alive)
5) as suggestions were implemented, they were posted for public recognition (if okay with the employee)
6) to keep the time frame as short as possible; from submission to implementation
7) momentum was kept up

Z

zekeQA

Mehmetke,

When It came time for me to write a "suggestion box" for one company I slightly modified the form so that the suggestion provided the information I needed for the project selection process. I then set the form up in SharePoint for distribution and control.

My curent company is not that sophisticated, so I will use a preventative action report form to collect and control ideas. I still have to train the employees, so I will watch this thread for ideas.

C

Craig H.

We have suggestion boxes, but employees can also enter suggestions in the online company portal. Also, I have had employees hand deliver them to me. My point is to have many avenues for the employees to use to submit their ideas. I even have made it known that I will help anyone with their wording or I will write it down for them if they like. I have actually done this a few times.

Also important: If possible install a nice bulletin board (ours are glass enclosed cases) where you can post pictures of completed projects that were initiated by a suggestion. Finally, if you have a company newsletter, consider printing the names of employees who have submitted suggestions that were acted upon. Almost everyone loves seeing their name in print, especially if they know that the head honchos will see it.

We have found that it takes some work to maintain the system, but the rewards are well worth it. Big time.

Experience only here ... About Suggestion box
1. Make the box transparent
2. Display date of last opening and next opening (usually monthly)
3. Locate many boxes and select places like change room, rest room, food place, security office ., etc.
4. You will mostly have some suggestions dropped without the name. Try to answer / implement them and announce that the suggestion indeed calls for a reward but management is at a loss due to suggestion being anonymous.
5. You must have a monthly management address to the employees, and in this all suggestions received and actions plan has to be an aspect even though you have no suggestions / ridiculous suggestions. These must be addressed and people must be genuinely motivated. No one would like to make a fool of himself and management must try and understand what the suggestion meant in real before placing in the meeting.
6. Never scrap or allow the system to die cause you will not be successful in the second attempt. Think before you put such a scheme and never ever take it off once implemented.
7. Encourage people to write in any language and make provision to have them read and understood. Never ask for suggestions in a format. Request at the minimum the date and name of the person dropping a suggestion.
8. Never give cash awards. Give momento to good suggestions and as much as you find good suggestions even if they cannot be practically implemented. Any suggestion when comes to implementation and cost saving, must be recognized during the annual appraisal of the suggestor.

C

ChrissieO

Mehmetke,

Suggestion systems or boxes are difficult at best. Historically, employees do not trust them nor the system behind them. My triumphs have come from diligently tracking every suggestion, giving immediate feedback to the employee on when we reviewed it and when they will hear about it.

I made sure...
1) everyone was trained on how it worked (procedure, review board, etc.)
2) employees were constantly kept in the communication loop
3) managers were expected to keep an open mind about suggestions (no making fun of them, etc.)
4) the little suggestions were implemented, not just the big ones (helped keep the program alive)
5) as suggestions were implemented, they were posted for public recognition (if okay with the employee)
6) to keep the time frame as short as possible; from submission to implementation
7) momentum was kept up
Totally agree with you on all points. It is important also that your evaluators are trained properly. I always find that initial evalation should NOT be done by management but by peer group team/employee. This gets rid of any personal differences within the work place. Evaluators need to have similar traits to auditors. Be impartial, see the bigger picture and committed to continuous improvement.

I will private message you some of the information and any documents I think my help you. Getting the buy in from seniourmanagement is crucial, without that you have a hard task.

I ran a successful scheme for about 5 years until there was a change of management aout 6 years ago and now senior management has changed again they are coming to me for advice on how to re-instate the scheme.:notme:

I will not get chance to send you the stuff today but will certainly try tomorrow.

Cx

Q

QCAce

This is the experience I had at a previous company:
1. Suggestions could be submitted by anyone. All entries were evaluated by mgmt team. Ideas that were implemented were tracked carefully by Accounting for annual savings. A % monetary award was given based on annual savings up to a certain amount (I think around $1000), to the person or team that had the idea.
2. Results - few suggestions were turned in, of those turned in few were feasible.
3. One suggestion with significant savings was implemented and the team was rewarded publicly.
4. A few other minor suggestions turned in and implemented were rewarded with minor rewards (similar to gift coupons for meals at fast food places).
5. The large reward went to a mfg engineering team. There were people upset because mfg engineering had the best access, talent and time to come up with the high $$$ savings ideas as that was their job anyway.
6. The low $$ rewards did little motivate anyone to submit ideas.

At the current company I work for there is equal profit sharing. Everyone from the top to the bottom receives the same %. There is no suggestion system per se, and based on the profit sharing over the last several years I'd say it's working great! :)

Good luck!

C

Craig H.

The idea of a reward is a sensitive one. A LOT of our suggestions are safety related, so offering a percentage of the savings seems to me to be counterintuitive. A safety fix will cost money, but how do we cost out the expense of the accident we never have, or the life we don't lose?

Also, be prepared for some frivolous ideas. For instance, even though we have portable fans and heaters, during summer we get suggestions for more fans and in the winter for more heaters. In other words, we get suggestions for things that would be handled more quickly and effectively if the idea went right to a foreman or manager. One reason why we get some of these in the suggestion boxes, I think, is that once a month a suggester gets to pick a nominal prize (worth <$50) from the prize vault. Still, I think the prize helps rather than hinders the program.

L

lego55

Experience only here ... About Suggestion box
4. You will mostly have some suggestions dropped without the name. Try to answer / implement them and announce that the suggestion indeed calls for a reward but management is at a loss due to suggestion being anonymous.
I like your idea on how to get people to add their names with or without monetary reward. Some employees will always be shy :eek: and find it easier to suggest anonymously. Saves them from possible personal rejection or ridicule. You don't want to discourage anyone from sending in an idea, shy or not.
:)

M

mehmetke

Should be a target for number of suggestions?

I heard targets up to 5 suggestions per employee per month, mandatory.

is it feasible, achivable....

Tks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Difference between a Preventive Action and a Suggestion System Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
K Suggestion System - Advice for a Reward System to Sustain a Long Life Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Employee Suggestion System - Recommendations on Implementing a Suggestion System? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
J Gauge Suggestion: Specialty or Custom General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Suggestion for QMS platform solution + Business process automation Software Quality Assurance 3
A Free software similar to Microsoft Project - Any suggestion? APQP and PPAP 5
C Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement" General Auditing Discussions 14
M Laser Micrometer Suggestion (if any) for diameters that are +/-.0001 inch General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Need suggestion on Software or App for Tracking Quality Plan Status Software Quality Assurance 1
D Service Owner of the e-suggestion scheme Service Industry Specific Topics 1
B Any suggestion on creating the best paper plane that can hit a target perfectly? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
MarilynJ6354 Definition Improvement Suggestion vs. Preventive Action - Clear Definitions and Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
A SFI x PA (Suggestion for Improvement x Preventive Action) How to register them ? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
C Suggestion for Implementing ISO 9001 in a Start-Up Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
C How to use a PAS (Preventive Action Suggestion) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
D Managing an Employee Suggestion Program Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R ISO 17025 - Suggestion for Interlaboratory Comparison Measurement ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
G Suggestion for Gage R&R with only one limit Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D A suggestion to my boss - What do you think and how will he react? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 46
Sidney Vianna Suggestion to "green" ASQ - Option to not receive the magazine ASQ - American Society for Quality 21
M Suggestion for Quality Poster for my company Quality Campaign Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
Q Suggestion Program - Suggestion programs to improve our own and benchmark against Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Advise: Cost and suggestion of APQP planning software APQP and PPAP 2
B Suggestions for Suggestion Systems - CI (Continuous Improvement) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 24
CarolX Preventive Action (PA) - Employee Suggestion Box, Engineering Change Order? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 12
A Any suggestion for a Process Improvement demo Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Geoff Cotton "Todays Active Topics" a suggestion. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
F Protection from mains in a ME system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
T What is a Quality Management System? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
W Posting Non-Quality System instructions on the Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
U FSC Due Diligence System (DDS) summary report... Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
T MDR PMS System Vs. Plan Vs. Procedures EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C. Tejeda Computer system validation approach for Minitab Statistical software Software Quality Assurance 7
M Sterile barrier system with outer protective packaging Symbol EU Medical Device Regulations 10
L ISO 11607-1 Packaging system validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News IATF Performance Complaint Management System (IATF CMS) within the IATF Database IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Cloud Based System Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
E Verifying our build system IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
D Class III license: Add new device to the license system Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
PQ Systems Recipe for Success! 10 Ingredients for a Healthy Gage Management System Using GAGEpack Software 0
T ISO quality system software such as MQ1 (which is what we currently use) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
I CQI-15 Welding System Assessment 2nd edition - Does not require Ultrasonic Welding anymore? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
A Product Update and executing only affected System Tests, leaving out unaffected ones IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
L Language of quality system in case of FDA inspection US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
blackholequasar Validation of new ERP system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Vision system process validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Strategy for determining which components from a system should be "ME EQUIPMENT" -- home healthcare environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
E Marketing, product and system requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
Q Structure Technical File for a system EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Documents belonging to Technical documentation to be stored in one file or spread in the QM system? EU Medical Device Regulations 9