Suitability of Attribute Control Charts for ppm Level Control

D

dlockesf

Hi, y'all. Here's my next question. Remember I'm writing material on SQC and SPC (and Six Sigma and Lean) for a non technical audience of people in purchasing. I've come to the section on attribute control charts, and I'm coming to the conclusion they don't work well at low defect levels (say 1000 ppm) when looking for a single specific defect. I've been looking at c, u, p, and np charts and they all seem to have problems with high probability of false alarms or requiring very large sample sizes for the control limit math to work.

They do seem to have a use for complex products where multiple defects are likely on a given unit but that would require a purchasing mindset that the supplier can ship defective units, which is what I'm trying to train them out of.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I'd think you would be most interested in explaining what control charts are for (regardless of the type), how they're constructed and maintained, and not much more than that. Attributes charts, like other control charts, are used to provide ongoing assurance of statistical stability over time, and in the end don't have much at all to do with PPM levels. Control charts might help to make predictions about PPM levels, but not to weed out defects or defectives.

S

SPC_Newbie

The term I think you could use for the situation described is 'rare events data'. It took me a while to discover that there was such a term so hopefully this will save you some time in finding reasonable ways to chart low defects.

Cheers!

D

dlockesf

I'd think you would be most interested in explaining what control charts are for (regardless of the type), how they're constructed and maintained, and not much more than that. Attributes charts, like other control charts, are used to provide ongoing assurance of statistical stability over time, and in the end don't have much at all to do with PPM levels. Control charts might help to make predictions about PPM levels, but not to weed out defects or defectives.
I've done what you suggested for variable charts because I think they are useful even at the ppm level, but I don't want to spend the "students'" time on things that aren't useful. I've walked them through capability studies which show the supplier's capability on a good day but I firmly believe that the supplier has to consistently produce material at the desired quality level because inspecting quality in doesn't work.

D

dlockesf

The term I think you could use for the situation described is 'rare events data'. It took me a while to discover that there was such a term so hopefully this will save you some time in finding reasonable ways to chart low defects.

Cheers!
Thanks, that was helpful. It led me to t-charts and g-charts, which I've never seen before.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
your target audience probably won't encounter the need for rare events charts, so it may be an acedemic excercise...

the reason that the 'traditional' p charts and c charts don't work is that they are based on the Normal Distribution approximation of the Binomial and the Poisson. The Normal Distribtuion approximation doesn't hold at low failure rates, for one fairly obvious reason. Namely that both the Binomial and Poisson deal with integer counts of events. So a 'rare event' is roughly one that has an upper control limit of 1 event or less. The only answer you can ever get is 0, 1, 2,...for rare events you get long strings of zero events and then when 1 event does occur it's at the upper limit. The other not so obvious reason is that rare events tend to 'cluster'. What this means is that they are not homogenously distributed; you will go for a 'long' period of time wihtout an even then you will see 2-4 in a relatively short period of time. Rare events (roughly) follow a Geometric distribution. I posted a document on this in the cove somewhere.

the file is SPC for Rare Events

D

dlockesf

your target audience probably won't encounter the need for rare events charts, so it may be an acedemic excercise...

the reason that the 'traditional' p charts and c charts don't work is that they are based on the Normal Distribution approximation of the Binomial and the Poisson. The Normal Distribtuion approximation doesn't hold at low failure rates, for one fairly obvious reason. Namely that both the Binomial and Poisson deal with integer counts of events. So a 'rare event' is roughly one that has an upper control limit of 1 event or less. The only answer you can ever get is 0, 1, 2,...for rare events you get long strings of zero events and then when 1 event does occur it's at the upper limit. The other not so obvious reason is that rare events tend to 'cluster'. What this means is that they are not homogenously distributed; you will go for a 'long' period of time wihtout an even then you will see 2-4 in a relatively short period of time. Rare events (roughly) follow a Geometric distribution. I posted a document on this in the cove somewhere.

the file is SPC for Rare Events
Thanks, Bev. I like your paper. The term "silly" is exactly what I thought when I made a demonstative c-chart with hypothetical 500 or even 1000 ppm data.

Strictly academic? I hope not. I hope our seminar "attendees" will be out surveying suppliers who produce at the 1000 ppm range.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V System suitability or stability during continuous usage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Selecting System Precision Criteria - System Suitability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Suitability and Meaning of PED (Pre-Established Dispositions) to Quality Objectives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Suitability, Adequacy and Effectiveness Examples ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
P Help on p-chart - Computing new control limits and chart suitability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Suitability and Capability of Measurement Equipment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
Q Auditing - Ideological battle with our Manager regarding Suitability of Processes General Auditing Discussions 6
M Par.5.6.1 Demonstration of suitability, adequacy and effectiveness of QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Frequency of Measurement Systems Analysis to Ensure Suitability General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G How do you determine system suitability and effectiveness of a new system? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
D Hit for not reviewing System Suitability in Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
D Question: How to analyze numerical and attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
A Attribute , for example C chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
S MSA for attribute relation gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
I Overwhelmed with attribute MSA requirement for visual inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
H Need MSA 4th ed. compliant attribute MSA template General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Attribute Analysis for colour matching scale Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K Transform variable data into attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 24
K IATF & Attribute Study requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O Examples of Critical process parameter (CPP) and Critical quality attribute (CQA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Applying Weibayes to Attribute sampling Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Easy Software Needed for Recording Mainly Attribute Data Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
A Does an attribute study (Go/NoGo pin gage) need two studies (1 for each pin) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Attribute Gage R&R study according to "Charbonneau" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Can a Attribute Study be considered a Visual Inspection? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
J MSA on Part Specific Attribute Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B IATF 16949 Cl. 8.6.6 - Acceptance Criteria - Zero Defects Attribute Data Sampling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Gage Blocks: Attribute or Variable Gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Attribute vs Variable Inspection Data ISO 13485 Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Calibration of a Width Gage Slot with an Attribute Gage - Maximum Width Condition General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
R Visual Attribute Inspector Capability and KAPPA Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D attribute gage RR in a unique way Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Proper Gauging - GD&T - Attribute gage to check true positioning on the shop floor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P RQL/AQL from Attribute Data Six Sigma 1
M Population failure rate based on attribute data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Minitab - Attribute Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Attribute G&R for all Visual Controls in Control Plan Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Attribute Test Method Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Attribute Sampling Plans with Switching Rules - Software Recommendations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
F MSA - Measurement System Analysis Attribute Data Crosstab sheet APQP and PPAP 1
B Bayes Success-Run on Attribute Data - Determining Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Attribute Inspection P Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
Chennaiite Do Attribute Control Charts really help? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
S Visual Inspection Galvanized Attribute Study Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
N Example of how to perform a Visual Attribute Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K MINITAB 16 - Attribute gage study (Analytic method) and Gage R&R Study (Expanded) Using Minitab Software 2
J Minimum number of parts to do an attribute gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D Reliability of an Attribute Inspection based on Historical Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8