Summative Evaluation with Post-Market Data?

MaHoDie

Registered
Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for your ideas and assessments.
I have an in vitro diagnostic device that has been approved under IVDD and has been on the market for several years. The manufacturer would now like to certify it under IVDR.
The IVDR audit by the Notified Body gave the following feedback:

"Usability testing was only conducted with one laboratory manager and one physician. Summative usability testing of the XYZ software in its ready for release version should however be carried out on a representative number of intended users at different study sites (multi center evaluation). Please provide the results of usability testing considering these aspects."

I am now wondering whether it is possible to create or write a corresponding summative evaluation report retrospectively from PMS data?

My argument is: the device has been on the market for several years and has therefore been used by several intended users. If suitable (!) PMS data are available it should be, in my opinion, possible to "perform" "retrospectivaly" a summative evaluation.

Waht do you think?

Thanks,

Martin

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
I would expect that arguing your way through this is not going to be effective.

IEC 62366 has a provision (Annex C) for addressing a "user interface of unknown provenance" (UOUP). The annex starts out:

This annex was created in recognition of the fact that many MANUFACTURERS will be interested in applying the tools defined in this standard to USER INTERFACES or parts of USER INTERFACES that have already been commercialized prior to the publication of this edition of this standard. Such USER INTERFACES or parts of USER INTERFACES were not developed using the PROCESSES of IEC 62366-1 and as a result are of unknown provenance with respect to these PROCESSES.

It sounds like this might be your best approach. In essence, you establish a Use Specification per the standard, review your post-production data, identify hazards and hazardous situations related to usability, determine if existing risk controls (around use) are adequate or if additional ones are necessary, and do a residual risk evaluation. With all that in hand, you may be able to justify that a summative study is not necessary. (Or you may find that there are cases you hadn't considered and it WOULD be beneficial to do a study!)

MaHoDie

Registered
Hi yodon,
Thank you for your response. To be honest I wasn't expecting your (precious!) answer and it's quite interesting. In fact, I know Appendix C (in theory :D), but I didn't really think of that one.
Thanks, I think your suggestion will work!
Many greetings

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Summative evaluation: how many sample per participant? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
Q Summative Usability Evaluation Testing: prior or during Clinical Investigation? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 10
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
MrTetris When a follow-up summative evaluation is not required? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
J IEC 62366 - Summative Evaluation IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 6
MaHoDie Summative Usability test Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V 510(k) vs. CE Marking Summative Usability Testing Expectations IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 4
S Human Factor Summative Study Class III Device RA Checklist wanted Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
R MDR Clinical Evaluation Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Clinical Evaluation - state of the art literature search EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Clinical Evaluation For Instruments - Class I, Class Ir, Class Im, and Class IIa - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Clinical evaluation interface with the risk management process EU Medical Device Regulations 9
L Clinical Evaluation MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Supplier performance evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
J Revamping Supplier Qualification, Re-evaluation, and Monitoring Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J ISO 9001:2015 Is a Project Evaluation form necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I Clinical evaluation for legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 16
M Clinical evaluation report training EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Continue to do clinical evaluation? or transfer to RA? or focus on clinical studies as MA? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
O CLINICAL EVALUATION - VACCUM PLANTS Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
B Evaluation of suppliers API Spec Q1 5.6.1.2c Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
B Creation and evaluation of new jobs Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
E DESIGN VALIDATION, USABILITY AND CLINICAL EVALUATION request Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
SANTHSH Consumables, Paints, End-covers, NDE Chemicals & Tools suppliers classification and evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
Aymaneh IVDR and Performance Evaluation Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Clinical Evaluation of equivalent device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
L Clinical evaluation plan EU Medical Device Regulations 17
C Biologic Evaluation based on ISO 10993-1 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Selling non-CE marked devices for evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 11
Q Process map Evaluation and Analysis Method Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Biological Evaluation (10993) & Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
shimonv Clinical evaluation report for class I device EU Medical Device Regulations 18
A Applicability of Photobiological Safety Evaluation for LED used in medical devices Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
P GSPRs / Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
M NICE Medical Technology Evaluation Programme - Recommendations Service Industry Specific Topics 0
S Regular updates of clinical evaluation report EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Surface finish (Evaluation Length) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Clinical Evaluation Benchmark vs. Equivalent EU Medical Device Regulations 2
MaHoDie IVDR and Performance Evaluation Plan CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S User evaluation for self monitoring blood glucose test systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Australia TGA Clinical Evaluation Report (CER) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
SANTHSH API Spec. Q1 clause 5.6.1.2 On site evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
B Biological evaluation plan and report Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
F Biocompatibility evaluation for Hardware/Interface Components? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
B Clinical Evaluation Expert Panels - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1