Superseded military specifications (MIL specs)

• Thread starter christopoher doherty
  • Start date
C

christopoher doherty

During an internal audit I came across C of C's for outdated mil specs, Example: print calls out mil c 5541 which has been s/s by mil dtl 5541F
The question is: If a print calls out an outdated mil spec, how should I deal with it?
What if the customer won't rev up print?
Will the source inspector accept the present spec even if its not whats on the print?
Or should I cofc it to the old spec as that is whats on the print?
Any assistance on this would be very helpful, my "top management" is very reluctant to ask customer to update print.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Superceded mil specs

During an internal audit I came across C of C's for outdated mil specs, Example: print calls out mil c 5541 which has been s/s by mil dtl 5541F
The question is: If a print calls out an outdated mil spec, how should I deal with it?
Will the source inspector accept the present spec even if its not whats on the print?
Any assistance on this would be very helpful, my "top management" is very reluctant to ask customer to update print.
Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

A few questions:

Why was this not discovered and taken care of during the initial contract review? Why is management reluctant to ask a customer for an updated print? Working with an outdated print could cause serious problems.

More responses from my Fellow Covers will come, I am sure. ;)

Stijloor.

C

christopoher doherty

I am new to the company and have just gotten us iso certified, these are inherited issues.

S

silentrunning

This is an ongoing problem with us because we are a job shop serving a large cross section of companies. The worst culprits are primes and 1st tier suppliers. A few of the prints I work to go back to the 1970's. I have to get with the platers at the point of quotation and be sure they will still certify to what is on the print. Most of the time it is an obsolete spec on the older prints. I cover this by documenting the customer print, revision level and the purchase order calling for this revision level. I have been questioned by the auditor, but when I explained the situation and showed my documentation, he was fine with it.
It almost seems funny that when you go to some of the prime's sites and check out their approved vendor list that many of the specs that these vendors are approved to are obsolete. :confused:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Superseded military (MIL) specs

Be careful because some aerospace military programs do require STRICT compliance with spec revision levels. Safe approach: contact the customer and get their approval IN WRITING about changing spec revisions. Most would be reluctant to do it anyways, because that could "open the door" for contract price re-negotiation.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

This is real common in AS9100. If there is any question, consult your customer and document which rev they want you to use. An older spec is valid to be used, even multiple spec revisions, if that is what the customer wants you to use.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Hi christopoher and welcome to the Cove!!!

I see in your profile that you work for a small machine shop. I am sure the "top management" doesn't want to go back to the customer because they believe this will give the impression of incompetence. I feel your pain.

Some of the previous suggestions are great - but may not be feasable. Is it possible that you can create a "specification" chain to keep on file in case you are questioned?

C

christopoher doherty

I'm not sure what you mean by "specification chain"

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Create a document showing which specification are superseded, and obtain the cancelation notices of the mil specs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Why does Official Journal list superseded standards? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M SAE-QQ-A-250/11A has been superseded by SAE-AMS-4027N AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
planB Biocompatibility: Blue Book Memorandum #G95-1 superseded by new FDA guidance Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
N Reusing the ID of superseded forms in a Document Consolidation exercise? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Was EN 980:2008 superseded by EN 15223-1:2012 on January 31, 2013 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Information on IEC 60601-2-101 for IVDs - Has it been superseded? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
S Internal Audit Finding relating to Superseded Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 36
P MIL-STD 1235C - Is it still Valid or has it been Superseded by another Standard? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification for military customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Johnnymo62 Non Aerospace topics - Anything for military trucks, trailers, Humvee type vehicles? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
optomist1 Military Test Facility Certification Requirements Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
W CE Mark for drone launcher military equipment at customer's request CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Military Sampling Plan 105E vs. ISO 2859-1 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
K AS9100C for Non-Aerospace Military Equipment? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Military Land Vehicle Reliability with Only 1 vehicle & Only 1 Endurance Test Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
6 JSP 456 Volume 3 (Catering Standard for the UK Military) Information wanted Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
B Military / Police / EASA Regulations and Requirements EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
Marc Blocked Fuel Line Botched Military Satellite Orbit Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
R ISO/TS 16949:2009 Applicability to Military Vehicles? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Definition Long, Wide and High - How to define for a Government (Military) Purchasing spec Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D Military Specifications for Fasteners - Silver-Plated Self-Locking Nut - MS20500 Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Chennaiite Is ISO/TS 16949 applicable for Defence/Military Vehicles? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
T Transition to AS9100 from ISO 9001 (Cost) - We are an Aerospace and Military Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 31
A Transition to Military from Automotive Quality Management Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Q Using ROHS Components in Military Electronics Products RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
Kales Veggie Are you familiar with EHSIR (Environmental Health Safety Impact / Canadian Military) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
F MIL-STD-2073-1, Standard Practice for (US) Military Packaging Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
Brizilla FAA & Military Certified? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
B Electronics Die Component - Military Standard 883 vs. MIL STD 750 TM2010 B. Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
C Is there a JEDEC, EIA or Military standard for Chip Scale Package Inspection Criteria Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
K Military Program - Physical configuration Audit (PCA) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
F Mil Specs (US Military Specifications) ..... FREE in .pdf Acrobat format Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
W Military Depot level maintenance or MRO forum AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
I Some humor - Military Quotes Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
M Seeking sampling plan software and military standard design software Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K About the Revolution, I'm an 18th century military reenactor Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
J Seeking Military Standards Table Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q Military Standard 217F Questions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
C Military Personnel Support - Looking for Service Person(s) to Support Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
C Why '105' and '414' in the military sampling plan standards (Mil-Std-)? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
G What's your Best/Worst Military Movies? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 107
Claes Gefvenberg Warbirds - Military airplane fans Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 83
J ISO 9001 and IDEF0/3 - Military (NATO) software maintenance/development organization Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
W Becoming ISO 9001 certified - Telecommunications and network services for military ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A USA ? Military Specifications Questions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
LostLouie Archived Specifications and Drawings for Medical Device Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
R EU-MDR Article 9-common specifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Oven Controller Specifications - BAC5621 and AMS2750F AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13