Supplied Goods out of QMS / DtS?

Morlock

Involved In Discussions
Hello all. We are currently ISO 13485:2016 certified, and we are looking for ways to slim-down our QMS and expedite some of our processes. One such process in our sights is our Supplied Good management.

Currently, just about everything that we receive in gets a Supplied Good part and lot number, and at the very least gets a paperwork inspection (i.e. packaging/labeling/packing slip against the PO). Yes, this even includes office supplies and non-manufacturing goods.

I was wondering if it is still within compliance if we scrap the part and lot number and some of the incoming inspections (move to DtS) for goods not directly related to manufacturing (i.e. supplies used exclusively for R&D), or for goods such as office supplies, generic off-the-shelf hardware, etc.

My relatively-inexperienced gut says it'd be compliant if we performed a risk-assessment for every single item within this proposal to justify *not* having part numbers for them or to justify *not* performing inspections, but figured I'd ask a group of much more experienced, much more knowledgeable individuals, in case it's just a bad idea or experience suggests it's not worth the effort.

Thanks all.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
IMO, office supplies should be reviewed only to make sure you got what you're paying for...that's just common sense.
R&D makes stuff that 'should' later go into production...I'd be nervous about waiving that one completely...but a paperwork inspection is likely enough.

All of our Dock to Stock still had paperwork inspection...but no testing. I would say it was about 30% of materials used in Mfg, and 90+% of new materials going into R&D. For Mfg, that decision was based on supplier historical performance.
You still have to know that you got the stuff you're paying for...that's not ISO, that's just good business. Skip the stuff that doesn't add value, but don't ever trust a pig in a poke.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Your gut is right. Take a risk-based approach. Increase the controls for higher-risk things. That means, of course, that you need to organize around risk but, as your gut is telling you, it's more efficient in the long run.

Billy Milly

Involved In Discussions
My suggestion would be to connect incoming inspection to supplier management (both should be risk-based). In our case, we require supplier approval for materials incorporated into the product. Level of incoming inspection (paperwork review / visual inspection / testing, sample size...) depends on the risk of the material. Inclusion of Ninja's suggestion - past results of supplier evaluation and incoming inspection of the specific material is also a good idea.
To do this, you have to evaluate the individual material's risk, as Yodon wrote - for example, tape for closing cardboard boxes is far less important than packaging that maintains sterility.
In our case, I found it quite challenging to promote the "risk based approach", but in the end, we managed to lower the amount of daily work when the system was set up - before, everything was "high risk", similair to your case.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q BMW Supplied Parts Quality Management -> Is there any new supplier quality manual? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
lanley liao Does the customer`s trademark belong to customer-supplied property? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D Supplied item design verification Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Manix Supplied Steel Material Testing Norms and Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
R Deciding if a medical device shall be supplied sterile or not Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
D Sampling method that is representative of the devices supplied by that distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R AS9102 FAI with No Drawings Supplied AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J API Q1 5.6.1.2 (iii) Identifying how the supplied product conforms Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
A Identification of Customer Property: Customer-Supplied Thumb Drives & Ext Hard Drives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Gman2 Coating Company, ALL customer supplied product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Creation of CAD solid models using customers supplied drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
R What objective evidence can/can't be supplied during a customer audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
T IMDS - MDS request for parts supplied to multiple customers RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 15
N What is the easiest way to verify we have the correct customer supplied materials? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
I Implant Raw Material Supplied from Customer to Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J CMM calibration using a perfect sphere that is supplied Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
S How can I inventory labels supplied by customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Procedure for Handling of Customer Supplied Material (AS9100 Requirements) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S ISO 9001 Section 7.6 - Customer has supplied torque specifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
L Sample of Solder supplied with PCB by supplier - What is this sample for? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
R CAD Print Conflicts with the Customer Supplied Paper Drawing Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
P ETO Sterilisation of Single Use Part supplied in Non-Sterile State EU Medical Device Regulations 12
N How to apply Incoming (Receiving) Inspection to Customer Supplied Material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
B Supplier Quality vs. Supplied Material Quality ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Customer Supplied Product & Certifications - Drop Ship - FDA and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B Customer supplied product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
H Can the documents supplied by the client categorised as customer property?? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Calibration through Gage Blocks/Test Fixtures/Customer Supplied ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H What can be customer supplied properties (property) for the software industry? Software Quality Assurance 18
I Traceablity of Small Part Lots Supplied to Production taken from Large Lots? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
C Customer Changes to Customer Supplied Documents - Testing Instructions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
B PPAP approval based on information supplied by the supplier APQP and PPAP 2
L PPAP Part Supplied to Multiple Plants - Submit another PPAP or PSW to the new plants? APQP and PPAP 6
A Lot Number Assignment for Incoming Purchased Products and Customer Supplied Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Customer Supplied Material Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
T Control of Customer Supplied Material - Build to Print Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Customer Owned or Customer Supplied Properties - Do we need a procedure anyway? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T Best Method and Equipment for Measuring Porosity of Customer Supplied Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
R PPAP from Customer for Customer Supplied Product - Material to be machined APQP and PPAP 2
T PPAP supplied to our customer Direct from Heat Treater supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Customer Supplied Product - When does it become that? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P Customer Supplied Property - System breakdowns at every level including sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Customer Rejections - Accepted minimum criteria for rejection of supplied parts? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Customer Supplied Product and Traceability - No Customer Requirement - Toll Processor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G Customer Supplied Product - Problem with who is responsible for what Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
J New Gage R&R - Attribute gage supplied by my customer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Design exclusion - Service company that processes only customer supplied product Design and Development of Products and Processes 2