SBS - The best value in QMS software

Supplier Analysis - Rating using an FMEA - Anyone ever try something like this?

Q

QCAce

Working on an idea with my manager on possibly using FMEA as an analysis tool for our new suppliers, (and existing ones for that matter).

The concept would be to rate and score their quality systems, (nonconforming material control, corrective action, internal audit, process control systems, etc.).

Anyone ever try something like this? How did it work for you?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

From the hip - I don't know that the FMEA is the correct tool to "rate and score their quality systems". I'm not saying it couldn't be done but I'm having a hard time envisioning how you would perform the discipline. The FMEA is a risk analysis tool to identify Potential Failure Modes and their Effects. What would be some of your examples of "Failure Modes"?

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Andy Nutt said:
Working on an idea with my manager on possibly using FMEA as an analysis tool for our new suppliers, (and existing ones for that matter).

The concept would be to rate and score their quality systems, (nonconforming material control, corrective action, internal audit, process control systems, etc.).

Anyone ever try something like this? How did it work for you?
Interesting concept, Andy. My supplier analysis has two main "avenues of investigation" which are roughly selection and approval of
  1. suppliers of standard products
  2. suppliers of custom products
For standard products, we look at product quality, responsiveness to customer inquiry, price.

For custom products, in using "metric analysis," we look at processes and procedures, inspection methods, inspection instrumentation, machine capability and capacity, company and company personnel capability and capacity (we don't want to be a supplier's biggest customer; we worry if ANY customer is more than 50% of supplier's business.)

We are most concerned with "get along" factors which may be difficult to judge with metrics:
  • do they seem to care about our business?
  • do they offer tips to make our design more efficient to manufacture?
  • are they proactive if a delay or glitch looms? (or do we have to find out only AFTER a delivery is missed?)
  • have they priced the work fairly? (we don't look for the cheapest initial price - we consider the net price in place after all soft costs of "grief" are considered) We want the supplier to make sufficient profit to stay in business.
I'll be interested in seeing a report on the factors and metric methods (especially estimating probability of encountering a "failure mode") you use in your FMEA, Andy.

Q

QCAce

Bill Ryan said:
From the hip - I don't know that the FMEA is the correct tool to "rate and score their quality systems". I'm not saying it couldn't be done but I'm having a hard time envisioning how you would perform the discipline. The FMEA is a risk analysis tool to identify Potential Failure Modes and their Effects. What would be some of your examples of "Failure Modes"?
Currently, we are visiting new suppliers that will be making new product for us and we are writing up notes in a trip report when we get back. We take a general look at their quality systems and try to develop a level of confidence and try to determine if we feel we are going to need to do some incoming quality checks on our end or, if once the first article inspection passes, we'll no longer need to worry about the quality of the parts we receive.

The trip reports we have vary in scope and format, and we wanted to attempt to formalize our reporting system a bit.

For example:
Using a process FMEA approach, we would analyze a suppliers nonconforming material system, and try to rate it on how well it would keep bad material from being shipped to us. Their process could be rated (1-10) on the standard categories: degree of severity, likelihood of occurence, ability to detect.
We could also rate the effectiveness of their corrective action system in terms of how well their system would close out problems and prevent recurrence.

The FMEA form could provide us a list of things we would make sure we ask the supplier about, (similar to an audit checklist).

Hope this provides a little more clarity of what we are thinking about.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I thought about your idea a lot last night (I know - get a life :rolleyes: ). It really intrigued me. I've become so rigid in my philosophy of the FMEA discipline because of all the walls I've run into here trying to make it a useful tool, that I may have become a little "blinded" to its overall usefulness in applications I'm not "familiar" with.

If we can be of any help in the "refinement" process, please keep this thread alive and, I too, will be very interested in the outcome.

Q

QCAce

Dear Friends,

Attached is a sample of the concept that I put together on one of our good suppliers (names removed). I'd really be interested in any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

B

Bill Pflanz

Hi Andy,

Your FMEA is a good real world example of the method for collecting the data and I find it useful. Assuming you follow through using the FMEA with the customer, what would be your next steps in the process?

Thanks
Bill

Q

QCAce

Bill Pflanz said:
Hi Andy,

Your FMEA is a good real world example of the method for collecting the data and I find it useful. Assuming you follow through using the FMEA with the customer, what would be your next steps in the process?

Thanks
Bill
Actually, we are the customer, and it is an FMEA analysis of our supplier. But our next step would be to use this document as an assessment of our risk with this supplier, and then develop part quality plans for the parts we purchase from them. These part quality plans would detail any inspections we feel are necessary at incoming or in-process during assembly.
For this particular supplier, we would not do any inspection.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Cool Idea

Andy Nutt said:
For example:
Using a process FMEA approach, we would analyze a suppliers nonconforming material system, and try to rate it on how well it would keep bad material from being shipped to us. Their process could be rated (1-10) on the standard categories: degree of severity, likelihood of occurence, ability to detect.
We could also rate the effectiveness of their corrective action system in terms of how well their system would close out problems and prevent recurrence.

I like this approach! I have been following this thread before commenting. So, you basically create a list of important processes -- like nonconforming process, corrective action process, supplier evaluation process, etc. for the company you were evaluating (so you would have 20 or so), and then use interviews, records audits and process/plant tours to rate possible failure modes. You then assign values for SEV, OCC and DET and calculat the RPN.

I hope you will follow-through with all this hard work and write an article for all of us to learn more from!

--Jodi

Q

QCAce

qualitygoddess said:
I like this approach! I have been following this thread before commenting. So, you basically create a list of important processes -- like nonconforming process, corrective action process, supplier evaluation process, etc. for the company you were evaluating (so you would have 20 or so), and then use interviews, records audits and process/plant tours to rate possible failure modes. You then assign values for SEV, OCC and DET and calculat the RPN.

I hope you will follow-through with all this hard work and write an article for all of us to learn more from!

--Jodi
Thanks for the kind words. I will report back periodically to let you know how I think it is working. Attached is a template of this I plan on using for other suppliers, including questions I would ask to determine the liklihood and effectiveness scores.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Supplier Metrics Analysis question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
J Supplier Warranty and Product Responsibility including Failure Analysis Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
T COA (Certificate of Analysis) issued from supplier - His name or mine? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
D High order value suppliers - Analysis of Supplier Data 8.4d ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Supplier Risk Analysis Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
L Supplier Nonconformance & Analysis forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B TS16949 - PPAP Material Analysis Requirement - Plastic component supplier APQP and PPAP 10
U Approved Vendor (supplier) List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 7
P Training department ideas and development for automotive supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
B Software service provider as critical supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T AS9100D Clause 10.2.1g Supplier Corrective Action for each and every nonconformity? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Supplier protocol for the Quality Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A API Spec Q1 Purchasing Process - Supplier Reevaluation based on Supplier Risks 5.6.1.4 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 15
D Approved supplier list - Distributors question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
E ISO 13485 QMS certification as a Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Supplier doesn't share drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Use of raw materials by two supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Are Supplier Quality Agreements Quality Records ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
G Supplier doesn't accept the complaints Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 20
K New supplier audit as per V3.1 by French Automotive OEM General Auditing Discussions 2
A ASL requirement when the supplier is certified for ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Approved supplier list for R&D ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Supplier Controlled Shipping (GM CS1) Condition Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0