Supplier and Outsourced Services Nonconformances

T

tracey

Outsouring/nonconformances

Good afternoon Cove members, we have be looking at our outsourcing process. Up until 6 months ago we very rarely outsourced anything. In the past 6 months we have outsourced designing, surfacing, cnc, and a few times a complete tool. We have documents in place for each department that the outsource company must fill out. It has been brought to my attention that there has been several times that we have received services that were less than satisfactory. We have nothing in place for this. It was ask if a Corrective Action Report should be written. Although this method could be used I was thinking that perhaps a outsource/nonconformance form should be created. A copy sent to the outsource company and a copy kept for our records. I think that these noncomformances should be review by the owners so that a outsource company, first of all will be held accountable, and secondly to track the frequency of problems that occur at each particular place. I think that this is an important issue that should be handle separate from our corrective actions.
As many of you are, I am new to the Quality field. :confused: I have taken a 5 day lead auditor course and a transitional course but most of my training has occurred here, at the cove. The owners have come to me for ideas and I was hoping that I could get a few different thoughts from people here at the cove on how they handle this situation.

Thanks in advance, :)

Tracey

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tomvehoski

I normally handle outsourced processes under purchasing. You should have a system to track supplier issues. Exactly how you set it up is your options.

In large organizations that have a distinct supplier quality function, you often have a dedicated supplier quality reporting and corrective action system. Suppliers respond to corrective actions or nonconformances the same as an internal department would, but the routing does not go through the same process as internal issues. Management should still be made aware of the issues.

In small companies or those that don't do much purchasing, I normally rely on the internal corrective action system to address supplier issues. Just issue it to them as you would an internal finding. Again problems must be presented to top management.

Hope this helps,

Tom

C

Craig H.

Tracey:

I work in a small company, too. What we have is one big database with all of our C/A, P/A, SCARs, etc in it. Then, each item (occurrance) has fields in them where the type of problem, category (Internal Audit N/C, SCAR, complaint) is listed. Then, to cull out the items of interest, we just do a quick query.

It seems to work well for us, and finding what you need justs a little creativity when the system is designed, and when writing the query. Unless you are a big company, I would suggest keeping it all together, if at all possible.

Hope this helps.

B

Bob_M

tracey said:
...we have be looking at our outsourcing process....
I've also come into the quality field with about the same amount of training...
We have not typically run into problems with outsource or purchased products/services to often. I agree the "resolution" of the non-satisfactory "service" should TYPICALLY be handled by the Purchasing Department AND the Quality department based on how your system is setup.

At a minimum (based on my limited experience) I'd suggest you place inspection requirements into your purchasing documents BEFORE you have something out sourced. Then nonconforming items can be reviewed within "supplier performance" as well as "nonconforming product" review.

Don't make extra forms/paperwork unless you need to. Start with DEFINING your requirements/expectation while purchasing and follow up with Non-conformance reports.

Basically follow some of the core ideas within ISO 9k2k.

Actually in "theory" you should already have this situation somewhat covered within your ISO9k2k system... In reality its hard to cover every issue if you don't normally deal with them...

MY $0.02

I agree with what Tom said. We must remember the point is to have effective corrective actions. The method you use can be wide open, in Craig's words: "a little creativity". But regardless of how creative you get, it still has to work. And by work I mean that the root cause of the supplier nonconformance is corrected. It makes no difference whether you use your form, or theirs, your process, or theirs, you just have to make sure the problem is fixed (not just a band aid solution).

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
If it is a minor issue I usually just send an e-mail to the supplier's Quality Manager to let them know what happened. This way minor issues are caught early and the supplier knows we're watching carefully.

If it is more than minor, I use a formal SCAR form (supplier corrective action request) sent to the supplier in which I've identified the nonconformance (in detail), PO #, etc. and ask the supplier to repair, replace, refund, etc. as applicable and submit a written corrective action report within a certain time frame. The Purchasing Dept. and I work closely on this and mgt. reviews problems with suppliers. Usually I can work with the supplier and get things straightened out but I have had to drop a few suppliers who habitually caused problems and did not work to fix them.

T

tracey

We are a small company( approx 50) and we build injection moulds. To give a corrective action seems improper. Let me give an example; We outsource a job to be CNC cut. The CNC operator at the outsource company puts in the wrong cutter and too much stock is removed. or perhaps they drill a hole in the wrong location. In house this would be recorded in our hold/nonconformance log. If there was a pattern of this happening then, yes, a Corrective Action would be written and the root cause found.

To write a CAR, unless there is a pattern, seems incorrect. The owners want to make sure that they are made aware when an outsource company produces a product that is less than satisfactory so they are made responsible for the cost and/or repair and for tracking purposes for future outsourcing.

I think that a Supplier nonconformace form maybe the answer. The supplier will then be made aware that we are not satisfied with there product and there will be sufficient documention for tracking as they have requested..... :cool: Thanks

Any more thoughts?

tracey said:
We are a small company( approx 50) and we build injection moulds. To give a corrective action seems improper. Let me give an example; We outsource a job to be CNC cut. The CNC operator at the outsource company puts in the wrong cutter and too much stock is removed. or perhaps they drill a hole in the wrong location. In house this would be recorded in our hold/nonconformance log. If there was a pattern of this happening then, yes, a Corrective Action would be written and the root cause found.

To write a CAR, unless there is a pattern, seems incorrect. The owners want to make sure that they are made aware when an outsource company produces a product that is less than satisfactory so they are made responsible for the cost and/or repair and for tracking purposes for future outsourcing.

I think that a Supplier nonconformace form maybe the answer. The supplier will then be made aware that we are not satisfied with there product and there will be sufficient documention for tracking as they have requested..... :cool: Thanks

Any more thoughts?
It is important to give the supplier enough information so that they can find and correct the cause of the problem. The format you use may be based on the significance of the problem, or your relations with the supplier, and you do not have to use the same format for every supplier.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
When you issue a formal SCAR vs. just an informal note for a reminder vs. doing nothing at all is basically up to you. I don’t imagine you would put up with an entire shipment of thousands of dollars worth of product sent to you in unusable condition without saying anything to the vendor. By the same token if 1 part worth $3 out of 10,000 were broken when it arrived you might not want to do a formal SCAR and ask for credit and replacement. Use what makes sense for your business, but don’t simply ignore serious problems with a vendor, either. Usually if you are fair and cooperative most vendors will work with you to get things right. However, like everything else in life, there are exceptions to this general rule, too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Evaluation of Supplier & Evaluation of Outsourced Services different? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Outsourced Plating Supplier Responsibilities Service Industry Specific Topics 8
K NPI (New Product Introduction) Quality Plan Outsourced Manufacturer/Supplier APQP and PPAP 3
K Supplier or outsourced? Medical Device installation, sales, training Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T What is the difference between Supplier and Outsourced Process? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
D Approved Supplier Control Requirements for Outsourced Special Processes Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
T Supplier - Outsourced process IT management Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
P Outsourced Process or Supplier? Purchased Formed Metal Tubing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Outsourced Suppliers - Writing a Quality Manual - Organic Food Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Licensee as a Supplier on the ASL Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
R Definition Key Supplier - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2