Supplier and Subcontractor

Q

Quality Researcher

Hello everybody,
I have a basic question about these two term; Supplier and Subcontractor,
What are differents between these two word and their concepts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Angela-2007

Subcontractors are defined a providers of production materials, or production or service parts, directly to a supplier to Chrysler, Ford, General Motors or other customers subscribing to this document. Also included are providers of heat treating, painting, plating or other finishing services.

Suppliers are defined as providers of a) production materials, b) production or service parts, or c) heat treating, plating, painting or other finishing services directly to Chrysler, Ford, General Motors or other customers subscribing to this document.

Does this answer your question?

Angela:)

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Angela
Could you explain the difference in your definitions. I just don't see it.

Just a note
Ts 16949 - Clause 3 - Terms and Definitions - "Also, the term "supplier" now replaces the term "subcontractor". "

Without getting into a semantics debate, use of the term supplier makes more sense than subcontractor - at least for our business. Even if we "subcontract", the part (or service) is still "supplied" to us.

I'm starting to get dizzy. I'm sorry I can't present my thoughts better right now, but maybe my gibberish will click something in someone else's head.

Bill

A

Angela-2007

Okay. My definitions came from the QS-9000 Third Edition Quality System Requirement manual. What are you looking for? ISO9000:2000, TS or QS?

Angela

Q

Quality Researcher

Thank u all,
But I haven't recieved my answer yet. I want to know the reason of replacing "Subcontractor" with "Supplier" by ISO.
I think your answers aren't good reason for them.

rgds Quality Researcher

S

s_warin

Why replace subcontractor by supplier.

Why replace subcontractor by supplier.

In ISO 9000:1994 the company/organization that produces the goods is called supplier. The company/organization supplies goods to the customer. And the one who supplies materiails to the company/organization is called subcontractor or sub-supplier.

So the supply chain looks like this:

Subcontractor/sub-supplier----->Supplier----->Customer

In ISO 9000:2000 the words are changed as they use in the ordinary definition or the definition in the dictionary.

So the supply chain looks like this:

Supplier----->Company/organization----->Customer.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

T

tomvehoski

Under the QS definitions:

Supplier = organization implementing QS-9000 and producing product.

Subcontractor = companies the supplier buys stuff from.

Customer = company the supplier sells to.

It does not matter where in the supply chain you are - if you are the one implementing QS, you are the supplier.

ISO 9001: 2000 and TS-16949: 2000 changed supplier to organization and subcontractor to supplier. I think the main reason was that the use of supplier and subcontractor is confusing, since they are synonyms in a normal dictionary. Organization is now the company implementing the standard, supplier is the company they buy from. Customer remains the same.

In one of my first ISO meetings many years ago we spent about 3 hours debating which term to use in our purchasing procedure: supplier, subcontractor or vendor. Could not convince management it did not matter - pick one and stick with it.

Tom

D

D.Scott

Tom - with all respect, those are not the definitions given in my QS-9000 Third Edition.

Subcontractor - Subcontractors are defined as providers of production materials, or production or service parts, directly to a supplier to C, F GM or other customers subscribing to this [QS] document.

Supplier - Suppliers are defined as providers of: a0 production materials, b) production or service parts, or c) heat treating, plating, painting or other finishing services, directly (underline is theirs, not mine) to C, F GM or other customers subscribing to this [QS] document.

Dave

T

tomvehoski

Dave,

Correct - those are my interpretations of the definitions in QS. In another thread (C9 interpretation) we were dissecting the definitions trying to figure out if supplier meant only tier-1, as implied in Jim's post. My point was that a supplier is not only someone who supplies to Ford, GM or DC. Any company that sells to a customer requiring QS is a supplier.

Example: If you make parts only for Lear. Lear uses your parts in an assembly sold to Ford. You are a tier-2 to Ford. Lear requires you to be QS-9000. Lear is the "customer subscribing to QS". You are the supplier. Those companies you buy parts and services from are subcontractors.

If you look at it from the standpoint of the rest of the standard, the phrase “the supplier shall” is used many, many times. If you made the claim that you are not a supplier because you are tier-2 to the B3, there is no way you could be certified because the standard is directed to the supplier, not “the subcontractor shall”.

Tom

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
J Product not in the Registration Scope of a Critical Subcontractor/Supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
F Tips, Guidelines and Checklist to conduct Audit of Supplier & Subcontractor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
N Auditing a Software Code Subcontractor (Supplier) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Supplier Development - Cited for 'no evidence of subcontractor development' Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Supplier/Subcontractor Survey Questionnaire Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A Subcontractor (Supplier) SPC Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D Requirements for Supplier and Subcontractor Certification - July 2002 - Sanctions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Are You Meeting Subcontractor (Supplier) Development Requirements? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
J Approved Supplier List and Subcontractor Development Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
J Supplier/Subcontractor Criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Complying with TS 16949 and QS-9000 Supplier (Subcontractor) Development Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 43
A ISO 9001 Clause 4.6.2 - Subcontractor (Supplier) Development Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 48
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Licensee as a Supplier on the ASL Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
R Definition Key Supplier - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10