Supplier approved list - Notified body, regulatory body

MDRexpert

Involved In Discussions
Hi Everyone,
I am wondering if notified body is considered as a consultant therefore considered a low risk?
Or since they audit and provide services they would be considered "critical" in supplier control?

Thanks,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cthames

Involved In Discussions
I have been with a company that received a nonconformity for this very reason. Registrars provide you with a service. You pay for their audits and they provide you with assessments, audit reports, and certifications.

Even the FDA or other regulatory bodies provide a service. You pay them and they provide you with registration. Sure, this is not optional and these regulatory agencies are often the sole-source of these registrations, but they still provide the service.

For regulatory, you can justify a lightweight supplier approval by stating they are the sole-source and it is legally required. You certainly aren't going to be able to exercise controls over the FDA, and no reasonable auditors would expect you to.

For registrars, for which you can choose one of many, the situation is a little different. I typically approved registrars based upon their certifications, years in business, etc.

How these fit into your system will depend on how you have your supplier classifications set up. I believe you could list these as high risk if you wanted, and justify the lack of typical high-risk controls based upon the uniqueness of these types of service suppliers.

Thee Bouyyy

Involved In Discussions
We have got some similar non-conformance related to your question. API auditor stated that, "It is not evident that the facility has defined controls on the outsourced process of Third Party Inspections/ regulatory body. We simply replied that, "Customer nominated third party inspections cannot be considered as outsource process. This is client nominated TPI hence we cannot apply control. Similarly, we can not apply controls over the regulatory body as well. This is similar case to API Q1 9th edition clause number 5.6.1.2C-3. These TPI agencies are certification bodies and as a company we have no right to question a certification body."

We added in our documentations that,"TPI services are proprietary in nature and approve by customer, hence audit of TPI agencies is not applicable in our QMS".

So, coming to your question, this is up to you now that how you are going to write in your QMS and how you are going to present it according to your scenerio.

MDRexpert

Involved In Discussions
thanks for the response. In my previous company notified body was considered critical while in my current company they are considered low risk, so I was surprised to consider them more of consultant category, since they're really not consulting, they audit you for your ISO 13485/ MDR compliance and plays a critical role/ risk for the organization. They need to provide certification to ensure they're approved as regulatory body.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
You could also argue that during the closing meeting and really the audit itself and management review, the audit work output is 100% verified completely. It's not like they provide a service you are not involved in and don't heavily review on the spot and during other QMS activities.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Approved Vendor (supplier) List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
D Approved supplier list - Distributors question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Approved supplier list for R&D ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
gunnyshore Benchmarking: Approved Supplier List for Multiple Sites Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
L Do HR consultants need to be on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Is a separate spreadsheet required for the ASL (Approved Supplier List)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S AS9100 Approved Supplier List (ASL) Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T Do I need to approve my Registrar and include them in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Corrective Action - AS9100 Approved Supplier List Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
S Trading Company - Evaluating Supplier Performance and Approved Supplier List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Approved Vendor (Supplier) List and Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
P Requirements for an Approved Supplier List? No new suppliers in years ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q AS9100 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process and Approved Supplier List Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 37
T AVL (Approved Vendor List) Supplier Listing - ISO 13485 Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Acceptance of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vendor List) - How long? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
L Approved Supplier List - Customer Approved Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
GStough Approved Supplier List (ASL): Document or Record? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 29
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) List contain Vendor Evaluation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
J Approved Supplier List - Required to evaluate every supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Required to put original manufacturers on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
M Approved Supplier List ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
I Approved Supplier List - R & D, Capital Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Which Fringe Suppliers to Include in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Z Supplier of Automatic Gaging Systems need to be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Approved Supplier List for Transportation (Trucking) and other Services IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
ScottK ISO9001 Approved Supplier List format question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
R Approved Supplier List vs. Auctions - One-Time Equipment Buys ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Grandfathering suppliers to approved supplier list - Have to send out surveys? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
Q Approved Supplier List - Control in the same way forms and procedures are? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Approved Vendor (Supplier) List Issues - Class II medical device maker Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T Our Approved Vendor / Supplier list contains EVERY supplier we currently have Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
J Approved Supplier List and Subcontractor Development Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
Jane's Should the facility landlord be an approved supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
P Approved Supplier Register and Calibration Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Do Machine Service Contractors Need to be an Approved Supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Approved Supplier Control Requirements for Outsourced Special Processes Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
P Approved Suppliers - ISO 13485 Normal Supplier Qualification Process Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D Do Freight Carriers or Transportation Companies need to be an Approved Supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
D Approved Condom-Benzocaine Supplier name - Need Help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D What document do you give to your supplier after approved parts? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
C Approved Supplier? When supplier is no longer in business. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
B What happens if we evaluate supplier as not approved and there are no anothers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
V How to become approved supplier by Sikorsky Helicopter? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) if Customer Pays Sub-tier Shipping Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D How can a vendor (supplier) with no third party certification be approved? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Do I have to qualify my approved vendor (supplier) status? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
H Approved Supplier Listing - One time purchase? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18