Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
As part of our Medical Device Risk Management process, we've elected to do onsite audits annually of contract manufacturers and suppliers where we own tooling. I currently have two which need to be completed, and certainly more will arise as the pandemic continues.

I'd prefer not to re-write the procedures, but would like to build in some flexibility for the current situation. I was leaning toward conducting virtual audits and approving via deviation process.

Has anyone's NB provided helpful guidance to this end?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

heiss

Starting to get Involved
I'm not in the medical devices industry. But in automotive, IATF (International Automotive Task Force) is providing waivers to CBs. Did you try contacting your NB? To see if there are any special waivers/extensions for onsite audits during this pandemic?

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Even the NBs are shifting to remote / virtual audits as much as possible so I'm sure a well-documented rational regarding the approach would be acceptable. I've not seen any advise from NBs, though (and they've typically been hesitant to give any general advice for fear of appearing to be consulting). I've spoken with a few auditors and have learned that at least one AO is doing remote audits for everything except design and production. I asked why design couldn't be remotely audited and they said they didn't know but it was policy.

I'd suggest you update your audit planning (documentation) with your approach, outlining what you believe CAN be remotely audited effectively (and why) and defer the rest until after things settle out. I would agree that production cannot be effectively audited remotely so I wouldn't try to do that. And then, instead of asking what can be done, lay out what you plan to do and see if they have any concerns (and again, they may decline to comment for fear of consulting but you do what you can).

My answer is probably not needed anymore, however, this is my opinion.

As part of our QMS (medical device industry), we have a process called, concessions. This process allows us to record planned deviations for processes and products based on a strong rationale, as suggested above. If you don`t have this kind of process, I strongly advise you to create one as it is beneficial to show and documents various activities that are not precisely in line with your predefined processes and specifications, giving you flexibility.

If you don`t want to change/create any new processes, you can update your annual plan though a change control and document your rationale there.

Another option would be to perform the audit remotely and to change the scope of your audit (exclude areas that cannot be covered) and to document in your audit report the reason for doing so.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Genofear Customer wants to audit our supplier audits - seems inappropriate General Auditing Discussions 11
A Supplier Process Audits - Creation of Reports General Auditing Discussions 3
K Is evidence of second party audits required for every supplier? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Supplier Assessment Questionnaire for Second-Party Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
W IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.4.1 Second Party Audits (Supplier Management) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 45
F Supplier Audits - Creative ways to gain confidence in the next Supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
R Telephonic supplier audits! General Auditing Discussions 6
P Challenge Supplier Process Audits to VDA 6.3 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Sourcing Audit Schedule for Supplier Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Supplier Audits - What to Audit when a Supplier is not Certified Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
V Is there an approach to define the "must 'or' should" in supplier audits? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Are Supplier Audits Required by ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S Excipient Manufacturers - Supplier Risk Assessments when they refuse Customer Audits Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
H Medical Device Vendor (Supplier) Audits - Foreign Languages and Translations General Auditing Discussions 7
G Auditor Requirements - AS9100 Vendor (Supplier) Audits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Audit Programme - Include CB Audits, Customer Audits, Supplier Audits? General Auditing Discussions 18
E Supplier Audits - How often do you need to Audit your Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
J Initial Supplier Audits In Person or Not? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
S Supplier Development Process failed - Question regarding sub-suppiler audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Second party audits - Supplier audits or product audits? Internal Auditing 7
J Who should conduct Supplier Evaluation Audits? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
ScottK Is using a 3rd party auditor for supplier audits a big trend? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
G What to present for 'Lessons Learned" from audits to Sony Ericsson - Supplier to SE Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Dock Audits as part of Supplier Containment Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Supplier Monitoring - Do we need to do Supplier Audits? - TS16949 Clause 7.4.3.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
W Supplier / contract testing facility audits - Small start-up - Medical devices Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Supplier Audits - Sales department wants me to add a section on the environment Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
K Supplier Audits - How far do we have to go? How much detail? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
Marc Supplier Audits - Do we have to Rate suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
B Interest in AS9000 - AlliedSignal Aerospace, doing a lot of supplier audits to this Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Approved supplier list for R&D ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Supplier Controlled Shipping (GM CS1) Condition Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3