Supplier Audits - What to Audit when a Supplier is not Certified

SpartanBio

Involved In Discussions
I am going to be doing my first supplier audit in the coming weeks and I need some guidance please. How do I audit a Supplier that is not certified. What do I audit them against? Any guidance would be appreciated. I also apologize if this has been asked somewhere else, but searches kept crashing.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Supplier Audits - When a Supplier is not certified

A supplier's lack of certification does not mean that you can not use the desired standard as the basis for your audit.

You could also assess them to the terms and conditions of the contract your organization has with them.

The audit criteria should, however, be aligned with the scope of the audit. For example, if you're auditing their QMS (even though they are not ISO 9001 registered), you would not necessarily use the criteria from ISO 14001. It's important - especially if there is specific standard that both parties agree will be the scope of the audit - to establish the boundaries of what will be assessed.

You could also ask if they have any procedures or documentation that supports how they meet the terms and conditions of the contract. For example, if the T&C discusses on-time delivery, find out if they have any in-house procedures for ensuring product is delivered on time and/or how they handle it if product is not delivered on-time.

R

Reg Morrison

What do I audit them against? Any guidance would be appreciated.
In addition to what RCBeyette mentioned, you have to understand that a supplier audit should be an exercise in verifying if the supplier has the capabilities to deliver your requirements and expectations.

So, first and foremost, YOU have to understand what are the requirements and expectations your organization has imposed onto your suppliers. Those can be QMS requirements, process requirements, product requirements, environmental requirements, etc....

Unless you figure that first, you should not set foot at your supplier premises, or run the risk of a failed audit.

Have you had any training on supplier assessment?

I am going to be doing my first supplier audit in the coming weeks and I need some guidance please. How do I audit a Supplier that is not certified. What do I audit them against? Any guidance would be appreciated. I also apologize if this has been asked somewhere else, but searches kept crashing.
A supplier with a PO? Or a new business (potential) supplier? What's the purpose of auditing them? Are they OK with you doing this? Do they know its your "first time"? Can you buddy-up with someone who has experience?

L

lokeky1

An audit is an evidence gathering process. Audit evidence is
used to evaluate how well audit criteria are being met. Audits
must be objective, impartial, and independent, and the audit
process must be both systematic and documented.

I usually start with auditing the overall process from orders received to goods or services delivered.

Next, I narrow it down to QC activities (incoming, in process, finished goods)

Followed by the production (service delivery) processes.

Lastly I go through the QA activities (rejects handling, complaints etc..)

The above is just my method and it works for me.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Loke

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Agree with all other Covers have already suggested.
Another suggestion could be the one to send a self assessment to the supplier, with a certain number of questions related to the quality topics and invite the supplier to self score with a rank and then return it back. Then ou can start from it when you will verify the reported items in self assessment directly on the field on its premises.

TWA - not the airline

Trusted Information Resource
With all those great answers you should be good to go:D
As a small addition I would add management responsibility to the audit plan and see who your supplier sends to meet you and what they actually know about their processes and operation. If top management knows their business, is committed to quality and to you as a customer then the lack of a formal QMS and a certication will probably not bite you later on...

SpartanBio

Involved In Discussions
Thanks to everyone for all there replies, you have given me a great starting point. We have given them a self-assessment to fill out and I think I will use that as a starting point. I also really like the idea of asking them to walk we through there process from receipt of order to delivery to me the customer.

And to answer the question yes the supplier knows that they are my guinea pig for the audit and they are fine with it.

:thanx:

F

Freddyfred

If you have taken an auditor training course, you should be just fine, and treat the process like your own audit, even though the supplier is not certified. But if you have not taken an Auditor Training Class, then I suggest to do that first (I like live classes not internet ones) to understand the terminology and sequences again, even though this supplier is not certified. If you don't feel comfortable, then hire a consultant to help you do the first one so you can learn how, why and what to look for even though they are not certified, it does not mean they do not have a process (verbal or written)
Good luck and let us all know the outcome.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Genofear Customer wants to audit our supplier audits - seems inappropriate General Auditing Discussions 11
L Sourcing Audit Schedule for Supplier Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Audit Programme - Include CB Audits, Customer Audits, Supplier Audits? General Auditing Discussions 18
E Supplier Audits - How often do you need to Audit your Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A Supplier Process Audits - Creation of Reports General Auditing Discussions 3
K Is evidence of second party audits required for every supplier? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
J Supplier Assessment Questionnaire for Second-Party Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
W IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.4.1 Second Party Audits (Supplier Management) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 40
F Supplier Audits - Creative ways to gain confidence in the next Supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
R Telephonic supplier audits! General Auditing Discussions 6
P Challenge Supplier Process Audits to VDA 6.3 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
V Is there an approach to define the "must 'or' should" in supplier audits? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Are Supplier Audits Required by ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S Excipient Manufacturers - Supplier Risk Assessments when they refuse Customer Audits Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
H Medical Device Vendor (Supplier) Audits - Foreign Languages and Translations General Auditing Discussions 7
G Auditor Requirements - AS9100 Vendor (Supplier) Audits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Initial Supplier Audits In Person or Not? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
S Supplier Development Process failed - Question regarding sub-suppiler audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Second party audits - Supplier audits or product audits? Internal Auditing 7
J Who should conduct Supplier Evaluation Audits? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
ScottK Is using a 3rd party auditor for supplier audits a big trend? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
G What to present for 'Lessons Learned" from audits to Sony Ericsson - Supplier to SE Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Dock Audits as part of Supplier Containment Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Supplier Monitoring - Do we need to do Supplier Audits? - TS16949 Clause 7.4.3.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
W Supplier / contract testing facility audits - Small start-up - Medical devices Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Supplier Audits - Sales department wants me to add a section on the environment Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
K Supplier Audits - How far do we have to go? How much detail? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
Marc Supplier Audits - Do we have to Rate suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
B Interest in AS9000 - AlliedSignal Aerospace, doing a lot of supplier audits to this Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1