Hi all, first time poster here.

The company I work for has an issue with parts sent to a special process supplier being damaged during process, and supplier being cute about what is causing the damage. Both companies are ISO9001.

We've issued a formal CAR, and either get ignored or blown off with inadequate responses. The problem is that the supplier is larger than we are, and we need them more than they need us.

In short, is there some recourse within the ISO framework (like involving the CB) or something along those lines?

Opinions welcome

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
In short, is there some recourse within the ISO framework (like involving the CB) or something along those lines?
Download the attached ISO document and pay attention to page 12 and forward. But, be aware, some people believe that engaging with a "delinquent" certified supplier's CB is unbecoming. Even some people here at The Cove think that complaining to a supplier's CB is a no-no.

Obviously, I fully support the concept that supplier's CB should be used as a recourse when the supplier is unresponsive, because, in my opinion, CB's HAVE TO BE accountable to the users of their certificates. When an organization implements ISO 9001, they are required to be committed to customer satisfaction. The CB is one interested party of the registrant's QMS that can impact that commitment. The CB can and must ensure that the quality policy is not simply lip service.

Feel free to PM me if you need assistance chasing this.

Attachments

Thanks for all the responses so far, they're appreciated.

"We need them more than they need us." If so your best bet is to rescind the CAR. Invoking a CB or ISO will get you cut off.
Unfortunately, that might be what ends up happening. There is only one other company in town that performs this process, and they were dropped from our ASL some years ago for worse quality issues. Only other option would be going out of state, which management will not approve.

Is an actual CAR the right step? Could you communicate the need in a different way?
Informal requests are even less likely to get a meaningful response, and there aren't any personal relationships that could be leveraged. I thought a CAR was warranted since the supplier was well aware of the importance of preventing this defect (owing to high visibility and pressure from the end user), and they themselves made that clear over the course of numerous meetings. As far as CARs go, it was a softball that could have been addressed in a few hours.

The "take it or leave it" attitude is really infuriating, though.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
As infuriating as it may be...it is valuable communication. You now know exactly where you stand on their priority list.
Now it's up to your company to decide whether to spend effort trying to correct this issue, or find another supplier.
I always appreciate knowing where best to spend my time and money....though as you're finding, I don't always appreciate the learning process...

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
And, worse, it is totally against what they promised to do in their quality policy. I am sure their customer satisfaction statement DOES NOT SAY:

We are only committed to satisfy our TOP customers...
Since your company has been in business for some time, I am sure that people there know that suppliers are, simultaneously, an asset and a liability, and, when suppliers give you a lot of headache, and are unresponsive to your requests for improvement, you should be bringing your business elsewhere. I don't think you need anyone to remind you of that. If the supplier is not following up on their commitment to satisfy your organization, as a customer, as they are REQUIRED to do by the ISO 9001 Standard they are certified to, you have a chance to see if their certification body is serious about the service and the certificate they have issued.

If you did not have any expectations about their ISO 9001 certificate, you would have not brought that up, in your original post in this thread.

Good luck.

Top Bottom