Supplier CA Request - Do you include a letter explaining what is expected of them?

V

ValleyGirl

I am sending a CAR to a supplier and think I should include a letter explaining the process.

When sending a corrective action to a supplier do you include a letter explaining what is expected of them? If you do, I'd like to see an example.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Supplier Corrective Action Request

Thread moved to Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues Forum.

Stijloor.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Supplier CA Request - Do you include a letter explaining what is expected of them

I think it depends on who the supplier is and what the problem was. A sophisticated supplier registered to ISO 9000 probably can handle it without explanation. A mom & pop company made need some help.

I would never send a CA request without first speaking with the supplier. The simple phone call can resolve a lot of issues and wheel spinning.

J

Joelbear5

Re: Supplier CA Request - Do you include a letter explaining what is expected of them

The first page of our form is the Supplier Corrective Action Request form, the following two pages, which are attached, contain the procedure and explain what each box is (boxes are numbered).

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

I think it depends on who the supplier is and what the problem was. A sophisticated supplier registered to ISO 9000 probably can handle it without explanation. A mom & pop company made need some help.

I would never send a CA request without first speaking with the supplier. The simple phone call can resolve a lot of issues and wheel spinning.
Good answer! The extent of the supplier sophistication vis a vis dealing with corrective action requests "should" have been determined during supplier approval process, however it wouldn't hurt to have a "boilerplate" attachment to a corrective action request, outlining what you expect in the way of a response and a suggested timetable for

1. acknowledgement of agreement a problem exists
  2. plan for corrective action
  3. implementation of the plan
It is also important to be sure the problem is systemic versus a one-off before demanding corrective action. One of the criteria for corrective action is whether this is a continuing order or whether it was once and done; whether you want corrective action or just a credit or replacement of some nonconforming parts.

Above all, if you choose to presume to tell a [suspected] unsophisticated supplier how to conduct a corrective action, be sure you include a brief treatise on root cause analysis.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator

Good answer! The extent of the supplier sophistication vis a vis dealing with corrective action requests "should" have been determined during supplier approval process, however it wouldn't hurt to have a "boilerplate" attachment to a corrective action request, outlining what you expect in the way of a response and a suggested timetable for

1. acknowledgement of agreement a problem exists
  2. plan for corrective action
  3. implementation of the plan
It is also important to be sure the problem is systemic versus a one-off before demanding corrective action. One of the criteria for corrective action is whether this is a continuing order or whether it was once and done; whether you want corrective action or just a credit or replacement of some nonconforming parts.

Above all, if you choose to presume to tell a [suspected] unsophisticated supplier how to conduct a corrective action, be sure you include a brief treatise on root cause analysis.
Good analysis Wes and recommendations.

ValleyGirl said:
I am sending a CAR to a supplier and think I should include a letter explaining the process.

When sending a corrective action to a supplier do you include a letter explaining what is expected of them? If you do, I'd like to see an example.
I have to ask this/these question(s): What does your corrective action procedure state is the necessary documents to provide on Corrective Action Requests? Does the procedure require you to send a letter explaining the nonconformance?

I believe most suppliers understand as long as the nonconformity was written clear enough that an added lettter is unecessary. As Golfman stated a simple phone call should do. Why duplicate the effort? The person(s) responsible for generating Corrective Actions should be able to clearly define the nonconformity and added documentation should be unessary.

Just my opinion.

V

ValleyGirl

Thanks for all the responses.

Our procedure does not call for a letter, but procedures are easily changed :yes:

My discription of the Descrepancy is:

VTM PO#12833-941 States "LASER ETCH PER NOTE 4 AS SHOWN ON PRINT". Parts were not laser etched. It appears that they were dot peened. Parts took over a month to be delivered, delivery was quoted as 5-7 business days. VTM Purchasing attempted contacting (person at COMPANY) daily for two weeks. The calls were not returned.

I'll send it without and explaination, they are not taking our calls.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

Our procedure does not call for a letter, but procedures are easily changed :yes:

VTM PO#12833-941 States "LASER ETCH PER NOTE 4 AS SHOWN ON PRINT". Parts were not laser etched. It appears that they were dot peened. Parts took over a month to be delivered, delivery was quoted as 5-7 business days. VTM Purchasing attempted contacting (person at COMPANY) daily for two weeks. The calls were not returned.

What the he--?! If these guys aren't answering a call and you aren't going to give them another order [I hope!], why waste time asking for a corrective action report? If these turkeys won't take your calls, why on earth do you expect them to complete a corrective action request/report?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Hi ValleyGirl,
one question for you.
Did you share with them a Supplier Quality Manual prepared by you? I say this because I think it is useful for supplier management expecially for corrective action response and indicating what is expected from them.
:bigwave:

V

ValleyGirl

why waste time asking for a corrective action report?

The reason I will waste time with the corrective action is because it verifies that we are monitoring our suppliers and disqualifying them. Also, since they had the parts for so long, we had a late delivery to our customer, so it shows an effort of continuous improvement.

Am I wrong?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Supplier blowing off CAR request Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
B Supplier is denying visit request Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 52
R DCMA QAR Request Supplier Data AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
S SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) Timeliness & Issuance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
B Should I Request/Submit a PPAP from/to a Supplier/Customer for only Repackaging Parts APQP and PPAP 7
N How Can I Respond to this SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request)? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
A Supplier Audit Request - Made be laugh ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Supplier Audit Corrective Action Request Responses Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Chrysler's Supplier Request for Engineering Approval Form Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Ford SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) 2007 revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) as part of NC/CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
R To SCAR or not to SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
K How to fill out an SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) form at Ford? APQP and PPAP 3
L Monitoring a Request for Corrective Action to a Supplier Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
S Supplier Corrective Action Request (SCAR) Ignored by Supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Supplier Corrective Action Request (SCAR) vs. Corrective Action Request (CAR) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 15
B Supplier Corrective Action Request (SCAR) - criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
N Supplier Process Change Request Procedures, Forms and Flow Charts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Casana Supplier Waiver Request - TS16949 Clause 8.3.4 Customer Waiver IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
L SCAR (Supplier Corrective Acton Request) Responses - How much do you tell? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
M Supplier Corrective Action Request-Seeking Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
K SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) Major and Minor Classification Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
K Questions about SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
D Supplier Evaluation Procedure - What documentation should we request from suppliers? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Request for Corrective Action Ignored by Supplier Nonconformance and Corrective Action 22
B General SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) form for all OEM's? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Supplier Notification of Discrepancies form - Request for RMA Number and response Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
M Supplier completed CAR (Corrective Action Request) is unacceptable Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
R Car (Corrective Action Request) Responsibility - Manufacturer Per Avl Or Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
G SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action request) Charge Back Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 44
M Request to Supplier for Corrective Action - Trouble with getting a response Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2