Supplier certification waiver format - ISO/TS16949:2002 Suppliers

D

DDaenen1

Hello,

I am currently trying to establish a waiver format to allow suppliers to supply goods without being 3rd party certified. This because our company is ISO/TS16949:2002 certified and according the requirements our suppliers should be at least ISO9000:2000 certified. However, due to merger-history and certain suppliers having patents on products, this is not always achievable. could anybody help me with defining this our send me some examples?

thanks in advance.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
stale stale stale 7.4.1.2

DDaenen1

you must have the requirement waived by your customer. once that is accomplished, any format will do.

one format that may be valuable to your company is a legal contract. I think a bare minimum of quality manager or plant manager's signature on a detailed agreement would be fine. it's just ISO, the thing we can't do business without.

However, once you've accomplished this, it's still required that you develop your supplier's quality management system toward TS-16949.. FOR ANOTHER FEW YEARS UNTIL IT'S GONE.

I'm very interested in your question, however. I know much wisdom will follow, I hope you come back to discuss it more.

What is the nature of the products supplied by these vital, irreplaceable, non-ISO companies?

D

DDaenen1

Hi, thanx for your reply. Our main domain of business is automotive plastics, carpets and acoustics.

Fact is that some fabric, adhesive and foil suppliers have a patent on the product they. However, due to the fact that the domestic market is their main business domain and not automotive, they are not eager to invest in ISO-certification. In other cases it is a supplier that is inherited due to mergers and is supplying such small quantities or value that resourcing to a certified supplier is just not profitable.

We do conduct a supplier survey on these suppliers to assess how far those suppliers comply with ISO-standards but this only since 2002. Since we have over 900 suppliers, it is almost not feasible to retro-actively go assess all non-certified suppliers.

Since we are what they call a Full Service Supplier to our customers, i doubt that we need their approval to issue 2nd tier waivers but i will check it.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tom W

Hello - I think the point on the customer approval might have you confused. You can not waive the requirement for your suppliers. Your customer has to do this for you. Since you are ultimately responsible for the product you supply they should not have a big issue with this waiver for some of your suppliers.

Hope this clears it up for you.

bpritts

Involved - Posts
Tom W is correct in noting that your customer must approve the waiver,
not you or the supplier. That said, you might consider the following approach:

Analyze your entire supplier body for quality performance and compliance to the registration requirements. Issue all of the suppliers a policy requiring
registration to I9000:2000 now, and requiring a goal for TS16949 in the future.

Then set your own priorities for supplier improvement based on actual performance and impact on your delivered quality. If the non-registered
folks are problems, then fix them or move the business. If others (whether registered or not!) are

your biggest problems, leave the registration issue for later. Maybe much
later!

I used this approach successfully when QS-9000 was amended to require
QS-9000 registration and the registrar folks accepted the reasoning.
Let facts and performance dictate where you put your effort.

Best regards,

Brad

S

Sam

We only have 64 suppliers (not registered)that that furnish goods for OEM projects. We are in the final stages of making contact with each to determine if ISO9K2K in in their future. So far the answer is not only NO, but **** NO.
Not only will they not become registered, they will not become compliant either. Reason being they are small shops with anywhere from 2 to 50 employees, including the boss. They do not have the funding for niceties that do not guarantee a ROI. These suppliers have been with us from 2 to 10 years. The lowest rating for quality and delivery is 95%. Needless to say I will be asking for waivers.

GM allows us to make exceptions for such suppliers. Other OEM's do not.

bpritts

Involved - Posts
Sam --

I hope I will be forgiven for thinking that what happens in the Detroit area
is representative of the rest of the world!

I find it intriguing, though -- if I am understanding you correctly -- are none of your suppliers adopting registration?

And further, without prying, what kinds of commodities do you purchase
from them?

I won't try to sell you the song and dance about how wonderful I9K is, etc.,
but there are lots of firms in our area in the 25 - 50 employee range who
are registered to QS-9000 and by implication ISO 9000-94. It's my opinion that the smaller folks do have a bit heavier overhead to do this, but they also profit
from systematizing things.

Regards,
Brad

The Taz!

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sam said:
GM allows us to make exceptions for such suppliers. Other OEM's do not.

Right on the money Sam :applause: . . .and another bit of evidence that shows the big guys can't agree :mad: . More people need to know about the CSR's. They do form a part of the Standard requirements.

S

Sam

bpritts said:
Sam --

I hope I will be forgiven for thinking that what happens in the Detroit area
is representative of the rest of the world!

I find it intriguing, though -- if I am understanding you correctly -- are none of your suppliers adopting registration?

And further, without prying, what kinds of commodities do you purchase
from them?

I won't try to sell you the song and dance about how wonderful I9K is, etc.,
but there are lots of firms in our area in the 25 - 50 employee range who
are registered to QS-9000 and by implication ISO 9000-94. It's my opinion that the smaller folks do have a bit heavier overhead to do this, but they also profit
from systematizing things.

Regards,
Brad

That's OK. I'll just cinsider the source. :D

We have 89 suppliers of which 64 are rebuking the thoughts of certification.

Commodities are fabric, thread, rubber grommets, extrusions,aluminum,labels,etc.

I agree, the ISO series of quality standards are excellent tools. However, mandatory certification is a burden that offers little, if any, payback. $1250/day plus expenses is a lot to pay for "systemizing things".
Regardless of the certification status the award always goes to the lowest bidder.

D

DDaenen1

All very usefull information. thanks for that. i have in the mean time digged out the dirt and gave our corp quality manager the task to go address this issue to our OEMs. Nevertheless, if we get approval from our customers to waive the listed suppliers, i would still want to use a unified format and could use some help in establishing that. Any takers?

Top Bottom