Supplier Certifications RANT

R

R. Webb

I often get certifications from suppliers that certify to our Purchase Order without stating the specification. Saying something, like, "we certify to all applicable specifications." I have to go back and spell out what I need on the cert. Is this a common problem? It seems some vendors never learn and I just get tired of asking twice for certifications.

Anyone else have this problem?:mad:,:lmao:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I often get certifications from suppliers that certify to our Purchase Order without stating the specification. Saying something, like, "we certify to all applicable specifications." I have to go back and spell out what I need on the cert. Is this a common problem? It seems some vendors never learn and I just get tired of asking twice for certifications.

R. Webb,

Why not, in your purchase orders, specify exactly what the certifications must include?

Also, update your supplier selection and re-selection criteria to include the completeness of supplier certifications.

Of course, you should then be evaluating your suppliers for their capability to certify to the standards you require.

You may find you have to change a few suppliers.

John

Last edited:
R

R. Webb

I have little influence in this regard. Price & lead times are the main drivers of supplier selection and quality for sure. Having to ask for certs a couple of times doesn't show up on anyone's radar but mine. Just wondering if anyone else had the problem.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
It sounds like they want to use the blanket statement so they can avoid the effort of making individual certifications. No I really haven't seen it myself though, and no it wouldn't fly. :rolleyes:

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
What kind of Certification you are talking about? Do you mean Inspection report/Test Certificate of sorts?

somashekar

Leader
Admin

It is the easy "meet the requirement" route that some suppliers follow. This has happened because many customers begin to accept this and so the trend is set.
When the supplier willingly gets the certification process within his management system, he will proactively make one that is thought out and inputs into that will be the required details. It is also a typical situation where the customer spells out the requirements and the same is well taken as input by the supplier to custom make the certification.
Your case seems a straight forward lack of customer requirement understanding. Are they with a good management system in place. Not the certification of the system. I just mean, do these suppliers understand how to process and meet customer requirements and provide such outputs in a systamic approach.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I have little influence in this regard. Price & lead times are the main drivers of supplier selection and quality for sure. Having to ask for certs a couple of times doesn't show up on anyone's radar but mine. Just wondering if anyone else had the problem.

R. Webb,

You said "vendors never learn". But now you say that it may not be a problem with your suppliers.

Your colleagues seem not to understand the importance of supplier certification.

Are you clear on why you want supplier certification? How do you plan to sell this to your colleagues?

Without clearly specified and agreed upon requirements from your organization, your vendors will continue to guess.

John

R

R. Webb

I really appreciate this discussion. To give context - I work for a small company which would be described as "Old School" if that means anything to you. Certs are not something that I am to take care of. Our suppliers, most of whom are great, are smaller yet and have a long relationship with the company, owner, managers, etc.. The few suppliers who have problems with certs may be described as "Old Old School" and have problems conforming to "New Rules." They do good work, and deliver on-time but if you think of the Humphrey Bogart movie where the Bad Guy Says something like, .. We don't Need No Stink'n Badges ... you get a feeling of what I am up against. Although the badges reference may be overstating it a little. I always get the correct cert after asking a couple of times.

Thanks again for all the comments!

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
If you spell out exactly what you require as a line item on your purchase order, or as a requirement in your drawing / specification, then you will get what you want.

If you have something you wish for but it's not clearly laid out as a requirement for the supplier to get paid, why would they go to extra trouble to deliver?

Where and how in the process is your expectation detailed?

Top Bottom