Supplier Corrective Actions - EFFECTIVE corrective actions on CAR's

A

Al Cohen

Vendor CA's

:frust: Just wondering how you guys get vendors to reply with EFFECTIVE corrective actions on CAR's (Most of our vendors are not QS/TS compliant).I am fed up with banging my head against a wall constantly chasing up CA's from vendors - they just do not seem to understand what is being asked from them. I do not have enough time to visit/phone every vendor, every time a Non comformance occurs. Any ideas?

Cheers

Al

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
One idea: If they don't seem to understand what you want, show them with an example. Develop an example of what you want to see and send it to them, tell them this is what it should contain. Don't mandate the exact form they should use, but give examples of what content you want to see.

E

energy

Pretty Good Responses, so far.

My problem isn't so much with the content. Maybe I'm too easy. The SCAR form has four three lined sections;
1. Observation (I fill that out)
2. Cause of discrepancy
3. Reason this discrepancy escaped your inspection
4. What changes have been made to prevent recurrence

Some of them do appear to have been completed with minimal effort. However, repeat discrepancies are hard to minimize.

After a short period of time, having not received a response at all, I simply go to Purchasing and ask them to request the completed SCAR the next time they solicate a quote from that Supplier. They get the message. Some Suppliers think that these SCARS will just go away if they ignore them. Not!:vfunny: Also, I do not issue a lot of them. They are usually based on the severity, such as causing us major discomfort in assembly or potentially missing a shipping date. I know that I detest being nickel and dimed by an overbearing Customer with nothing to do but issue SCAR's for what I consider a minor infraction. As discussed in other threads, there are those who disagree with me. But, that's why we're here!
:ko: :smokin:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I agree with Energy on not issuing SCAR's on minor stuff. Usually in the case of a minor issue, I will send an E-mail to the QM at the company notifying them of the minor issue and asking them to look into it while telling them I am not issuing a formal SCAR at this time but rather I'm giving them a "heads-up" -- sort of an "observation".

I also agree with the idea of having Purchasing request a past-due SCAR with the next RFQ. That really does get attention without needing to yell. It is subtle and effective.

E

energy

Thanks Mike

Your e-mail to the QM is a good idea. Mine are entered in the database and are on file. But, how would the QM know? We usually go through Purchasing, and we know how that goes. It's definitely something I will consider for future snafus. It would also be verification that some action was taken besides documenting it. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks!:bonk: :ko: :smokin:

M

M Greenaway

Al

The answers already given are pretty sound. Dont fall into the documentation trap of chasing corrective actions on every occurence just for the record.

If the problems were real I would imagine that you would cease to use the supplier - hence your own corrective action would kick in.

If the problems dont have any great impact then dont request the suppliers corrective action.

It is extremely difficult to get suppliers to respond to these problems, particularly where they do not operate formal a formal QMS. I would just document your own actions taken, such as advising the supplier of the problem, and close the SCAR on that (bearing in mind again the impact of the problem).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
D Supplier Nonconformance & Corrective Actions Procedures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
jasonb067 Auditing Supplier Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
R Problems with Supplier - Always with 100% Sorting - No Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
M Supplier Defective Product Return and Corrective Actions. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Nonconformance and Corrective Actions vs. Preventive Action - Problem Supplier Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
M Effectiveness of Supplier Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Z Supplier Scorecard Inclusion of Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Supplier Corrective actions (8D format) - Sole supplier needs help Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
S SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) Timeliness & Issuance Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
U Who is responsible to initiate a Supplier Corrective Action? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
K Suppliers not responding to Supplier Corrective Action Requests (SCAR) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
N How Can I Respond to this SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request)? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
C Using SAP for SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Reports) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
Q Supplier Audit Corrective Action Request Responses Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
GStough Rejecting a Supplier's Corrective Action Plan When It's Too Weak Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
C SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) as part of NC/CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D Corrective Action - AS9100 Approved Supplier List Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
R To SCAR or not to SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
L Monitoring a Request for Corrective Action to a Supplier Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
S Supplier Corrective Action Request (SCAR) Ignored by Supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
F AS9100 8.5.2 g - Flowing Down Corrective Action Requirements to a Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Supplier Corrective Action Request (SCAR) vs. Corrective Action Request (CAR) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 15
M CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Standards & Templates for Tier 1 Supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B Supplier Corrective Action Request (SCAR) - criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
A Benefits of Improving Lead Time on Closing Supplier Corrective Action Requests Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
D Supplier will not respond to Corrective Action Requests Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
I Where does it state Supplier Corrective Action is required? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
L SCAR (Supplier Corrective Acton Request) Responses - How much do you tell? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
J Corrective/Preventative Action External - Corporate Supplier Quality Responsibility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Evidence of Supplier Corrective Action - Poor Responses by Suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Project Man Do I need both a Supplier Return form and a Supplier Corrective Action Report form? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
M Supplier Corrective Action Request-Seeking Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
K SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) Major and Minor Classification Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Request for Corrective Action Ignored by Supplier Nonconformance and Corrective Action 22
R Are Supplier CAR's (Corrective Action Requests) a Requirement Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
M Supplier completed CAR (Corrective Action Request) is unacceptable Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
Q SCAR Form - Does anyone have an example of a Supplier Corrective Action form? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
L Concerning "allowable" supplier line accums before starting a corrective action Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
R Car (Corrective Action Request) Responsibility - Manufacturer Per Avl Or Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
D No response to CAR's - Supplier refuses to answer a corrective action Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
M Beginning a Supplier Corrective Action Program Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
J Supplier Corrective Action: Are you requiring suppliers to follow a defined process? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
G SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action request) Charge Back Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 44
M Request to Supplier for Corrective Action - Trouble with getting a response Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6