Supplier doesn't accept the complaints

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Hello!
I have a lot of suppliers that don't accept a complaint. They sometimes show that their process cannot create the issue or sometimes they say that the complaint is actually acceptable by the automaker.
Sometimes we don't have the time to go to the supplier facility and understand their process and what we have is their presentation or written arguments. How to really understand and decline a complaint opened ?
Thank you!
You are leaving a lot of details out of the context here for any meaningful feedback. What is the percentage/DPPM of these complaints? If you have a few items with cosmetic issues for a lot of 20000 pieces made of plastic injection, the supplier is OBVIOUSLY correct in pushing back, as there is no possible corrective action. Suppliers may also be correct to point out that some parts will degrade/deteriorate if poorly stocked in a crappy warehouse. To what they might have no control over, after you receive the parts.

You stated that you have a LOT OF SUPPLIERS that don’t accept complaints. Well, unless they are customer designated sources, bad suppliers is just another symptom of a dysfunctional organization. If you have lousy suppliers and keep a business relationship with them, it is your organization's fault. You are the customer. Start acting as one.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi.
Or they consult the automaker (GM, VW,others) to check if that is a problem. Ok, in this second scenario when the automaker says is not a problem we can consider the complaint canceled.
I don't understand how the sub-tier supplier is going around your company, straight to the end customer.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
A number of sub-tier suppliers were determined by the automaker, then foisted upon the direct supplier as a "must use". Those initial contacts still exist.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
If handled appropriately with good communication, I don't mind if suppliers do communicate with the customer. I can save me work. If the supplier communicates the information back to me with good documentation, it makes my work easier. Some problems are so technical that only the supplier and the customer understand the technical details. We sometime take very complex components and install them without needed to understand many of the technical details. When something goes wrong in our testing, the design responsible customer understands the design better than we do and can better answer the supplier's questions and help convince the supplier that their part is the problem.
If the communication is poor, then my work can be harder. I want to send customers good parts and if my supplier makes that easier, I am all for it.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
I may have missed thsi above...but if the suppleir in question is a directed source or is furnishing customer purchased parts, components etc., to you to install...this changes the complexion, as they may have a pre-exisiting relationship with you customer....however, this is my opinion does not negate the need for defined lines of communication, even if the customer is "good" with complaints for the same

mattador78

Involved In Discussions
A number of sub-tier suppliers were determined by the automaker, then foisted upon the direct supplier as a "must use". Those initial contacts still exist.
In Aerospace we have the same we have the end user who has audited us and worked with us for approval from them who them passes on other suppliers to us as a must us for a finishing process. Also we have then had a customer raising an issue with us which according to the end user is not an issue where I have then had to go to the end user to close the issue due to our relationship with them. The customer who raised the issue is now no longer a supplier to the end user.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
At management review discuss the risks of going with the lowest bidder and how it affects your leverage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shawn Mosby DFMEA when the supplier doesn't have design responsibility APQP and PPAP 14
B Do I evaluate my supplier when he doesn't have delivery in that month? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
P Supplier doesn't think drawings need to be controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 34
S Use of raw materials by two supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Are Supplier Quality Agreements Quality Records ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
K New supplier audit as per V3.1 by French Automotive OEM General Auditing Discussions 2
A ASL requirement when the supplier is certified for ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Approved supplier list for R&D ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Supplier Controlled Shipping (GM CS1) Condition Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Licensee as a Supplier on the ASL Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
R Definition Key Supplier - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10