Supplier Evaluation Process

ire88

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I would need your help. I am part of the QA dep, and I have been assigned the review of the supplier evaluation process; at the moment, this process is causing us a bit of trouble; for example, we use a very detailed supplier evaluation form to complete for every supplier that we believe could affect the quality of our medical device product or the service we provide. ( I have attached the example of our supplier evaluation form to give you an idea); another issue we have is related to the continuous monitoring of the performance of the suppliers. During a re-certification audit, we got a Non-conformity because it looked like we could not demonstrate that we were conducting continuous monitoring of the suppliers. I wonder how you do that in your company. In my company, we ask for feedback about the suppliers, and if anything goes below our pre-defined expectations, we raise a finding.

In addition, we have to do an annual review of all the critical suppliers and, every three years, a check for all those that are not critical. There are years like this year where we have an incredibly high number of re-evaluations due between Oct and Nov. We don't know how to handle them on time.

I have also attached our procedure to give you a flavour of what we do and see if you have any valuable advice.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hello ire88, I am sorry for the delay in this response.

This looks like a very well defined yet very complex supplier evaluation process. It is true that we need to be careful for suppliers to medical device manufacturers, but the process either needs to be designed to be manageable or hire enough personnel to keep it up. I have questions:
  1. How many suppliers do you have?
  2. Why is the review repeated every 3 years?
  3. If a supplier maintains certification to a standard by an accredited registrar, could that be suitable for non-critical suppliers?
  4. Why do so many reviews come due in the October-November time frame? Isn't there a way to "stagger" them?
  5. How does this data get collected? I can imagine it could be very difficult to research things like information breaches.
  6. Have you studied how long it takes to do these reviews, including the portions of the review that require more time?
  7. Do you have a digitized data collection method for routine criteria such as nonconforming product received and on time delivery? The process needs to be adequately supported or made more easily performed.

ire88

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I am really sorry, I didn't see this response.

Here below my comments:

How many suppliers do you have? 160
Why is the review repeated every three years?
According to our internal procedure, non-critical suppliers' re-evaluations are due every three years. ( critical every year, moderately critical every 2)

If a supplier maintains certification to a standard by an accredited registrar, could that be suitable for non-critical suppliers?

I guess this would be enough, it looks like our process ties us up, and we go through a long re-evaluation despite the type of supplier.

Why do so many reviews come due in the October-November time frame? Isn't there a way to "stagger" them?
Three years ago, when this process was born, we qualified many suppliers in that period, and here we come. I guess also this is a historical problem. A couple of years ago, an external auditor raised a non-conformity because one of the supplier re-evaluations was two days overdue. So we have the idea that we must re-evaluate the supplier within the due date.

How does this data get collected? I can imagine it could be tough to research things like information breaches. - We usually send out a list of relevant questions to the suppliers ( most of the delays are because they don't respond)

Have you studied how long it takes to do these reviews, including the portions of the review that require more time? More or less a working day for a dedicated employee.

Do you have a digitized data collection method for routine criteria such as nonconforming prod? No, we don't

thanks for your help

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I am seeing a pattern here:

"It is our process."
"That's a schedule based on what happened 3 years ago."
"We send out surveys but they don't respond."

Now I have another question: Why not try something different?

1) Collect data about things you care about:
  • Quality of goods and services - or, defects
  • On-time delivery - or, late deliveries (unless they warn you of delay due to problems)
  • Responsiveness - do they answer the phone when you call?
2) Identify which suppliers are not a problem and which need more attention
3) Send the non-critical parts and goods from good suppliers to "Ship-To-Stock"
4) If you are comfortable with it, consider whether they can remain qualified based on independent certification or accreditation.

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
Re: Staggering - I would recommend documenting a range (i.e., +/- 3 months) for your reviews. That way, you can stagger them out through the year and make it easier on yourselves next time.

Procedures exist for a reason. One of those reasons is to be able to change them in a controlled manner. Don't make your process fit the needs of your procedure; make the procedure fit the needs of your process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Simple supplier evaluation qualification process form that includes Risk Assessment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
V Supplier?s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval? FMEA and Control Plans 5
Moncia Supplier Re-Evaluation Process and Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Do company sales agents/distributors need to go through supplier evaluation process? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
Q Initial Supplier Evaluation Method - 7.4.1 Purchasing Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J API Q1 - 5.6.1.2 (b) - Initial Supplier Evaluation—Critical Purchases Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
J Critical Supplier Initial evaluation for single purchases Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
T Supplier Evaluation - *ALL* Suppliers to business? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Supplier Evaluation report - Validation required or not ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Supplier Evaluation for Cold Chain Distribution of Human Tissues Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
L Supplier performance evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
J Revamping Supplier Qualification, Re-evaluation, and Monitoring Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
R Supplier evaluation and business needs in the context of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Supplier re-evaluation (API Q1) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
S Supplier Audit Assessment / Evaluation Forms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Evaluation of Supplier / Sole supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
P Supplier (Vendor) Evaluation Criteria - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S What questions to ask in annual supplier evaluation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Supplier Evaluation - Is a supplier score card a requirement under ISO and QSR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
a_bardi Excluding ISO9001 Cl. 8.4 - Supplier Selection and Evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Supplier Evaluation - External Provider Evaluation (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Q Supplier evaluation for registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
E Supplier Evaluation Form - Example to evaluation suppliers (criteria) please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
V Looking for a Supplier Evaluation template for Environmental Performance Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D Can we exclude purchasing and supplier evaluation - ISO9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Crusader Service-Type Supplier Evaluation Exclusion? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
A API Q1 5.6.1.2 - Initial Supplier Evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
N Supplier Evaluation - Simplest System Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 33
D Supplier Evaluation of a Finance Department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
B Supplier Evaluation for ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Is an Annual Supplier Evaluation an ISO 9001 requirement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Clarification of ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 - Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
Marc Definition ASES - Alliance Supplier Evaluation Standard Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
M ISO 13485 Calibration Supplier Evaluation Requirements question Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
L What to look for in a Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation for AVL ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Root Cause of 'Supplier Evaluation Not defined' Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
L Supplier Selection and Evaluation - Raw Material Manufacturer vs. Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Supplier Evaluation SOP - How do I Define Major and Minor Suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
S PPAP - Supplier Evaluation Responsibilities APQP and PPAP 1
B EN 13980-2002 and EN 80079-34-2011 - 7.4.1.c) Supplier Evaluation Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V ASES (Alliance Supplier Evaluation Standard) Check Sheet of Nissan wanted Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
K Approved Vendor (Supplier) List and Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
K Supplier Evaluation Form or Template wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D Supplier Evaluation Criteria and Supplier Re-evaluation Criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
H ISO 13485 Sec 7.4 - Supplier Selection, Evaluation and Re-evaluation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
A Supplier Evaluation Procedure in case of Agency (Distributors) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Do we need to conduct Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
K Fruit and Vegetable Supplier Evaluation wanted Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9