Supplier Evaluation report - Validation required or not

Balachander

Starting to get Involved
Hi ,

We are working on finalizing a data sheet that will focus on assigning a “SCORE” to suppliers based on specified criteria. This is in preparation for upcoming audit.

The question I have is this – does a spreadsheet like this – with SCORE calculations embedded – require validation?

Thanks,
Varun

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi ,

We are working on finalizing a data sheet that will focus on assigning a “SCORE” to suppliers based on specified criteria. This is in preparation for upcoming audit.

The question I have is this – does a spreadsheet like this – with SCORE calculations embedded – require validation?

Thanks,
Varun

If you meant to attach a spreadsheet for us to review, it did not come through. Kindly use the "Attach files" button to attach it so we can take a look and provide some feedback. :)

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator

Technically, yes. You are using it in implementation of your QMS.

Realize, though, that such efforts, like most everything else, can (should) be commensurate with the risk. I would identify this as "software" implementing the QMS and rank it pretty low on the risk scale, then do a very simple validation. Probably have someone double-check the formulas, maybe do some bounds checks / data validation (exploratory testing), ensure the formulas are locked down so they can't be altered, ideally ensure that only cells for data entry are opened (maybe overkill), and confirm it's all under control (no unauthorized changes to the extent possible).

Chrisx

Quite Involved in Discussions
Suppliers invest significant resources in validating special processes. Often this information is proprietary and is a significant reason for the existence of the supplier. This is the whole reason for Master Approval Files (MAF). I don't think it is realistic to expect suppliers to always hand over all proprietary information on the process, so that the customer can more easily implement the process in-house. Just because the supplier wants to protect proprietary information does not necessarily mean they don't validation processes. If it's concern, then invest the resources for an on-site visit. If this supplier is critical to your business, you should probably be going making an on-site visit anyways.

Top Bottom